The Journal of a Sidekick

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Will444

My first time writing a fanfic, all comments are welcome and thank you for reading.

---Last Seed, 20th, 4E 201---​

Today my father disowned me. After I finally told him that I had no desire to join the family shipping business like my siblings; he gave me a few septims and told me to "find someplace else to be a burden". I suppose I can't be too mad at him though. Ever since we've arrived in Skyrim, I've spent my days burying my nose in old books and tomes, trying to perfect my magic and spent my nights in the taverns perfecting my music. I haven’t gone near a single ship since we’ve been here. At first, I avoided my “filial duties” out of spite because of my father breaking my betrothal to my beloved Adelina and forcing me to accompany him on the dangerous voyage here. But the longer I kept my distance from the docks, the more I realized that I had never actually liked being out at sea in the first place. And even if my father wanted me to run one of our family branches, I did not share his “Profit at all cost” mentality and would most likely disappoint him by not meeting his high standards.

But I guess being kicked to the streets could be a blessing in disguise if I looked at it from a different perspective. At least now I could live the way I wanted to, free of care and free of worry. I think tomorrow I’ll inquire into seeing when the next ship for Hammerfell will set out seeing as how the borders have been too dangerous to cross lately. I know I haven’t written to her recently but surely Adelina couldn’t have gotten over me so soon? If I got on my knees and begged her, maybe she’d forgive me for giving in to my father’s demands and would take me back?

---Last Seed, 21st, 4E 201---​

Although I’ve witness my father ruthlessly deal with his competitors several times, I never thought I’d ever be on the receiving end of such cruelties. As if kicking me out of our home in Solitude wasn’t enough; he managed to get me blacklisted from every ship in the city. Even the East Empire Trading Company will have nothing to do with me. But of course I didn’t just accept this and move on. Oh I stormed into my father’s office and yelled at him for the first time in my life and told him that I wouldn’t let him separate me from Adelina this time. I told him even if he managed to get me blacklisted from every port in Skyrim, I’d just build my own damn boat.

I can still see the smug smile on his face when I told him that. The same smug smile that was on his face when he told me that Adelina had already married another and was pregnant with his child. Naturally I didn’t believe him at first and cursed him before I stormed out of his office. But after speaking with my sister, Reyna, who had arrived from Hammerfell only a few days prior, I sadly learned that my father had spoken the truth. Surprisingly I did not cry nor did I lament for too long. I suppose from the moment that I first stepped foot on the ship bound for Skyrim, I knew in the back of my head, that Adelina and her fierce pride would never give me a second chance. And honestly, I couldn’t hate her for it.

After a long talk with Fironet, another person who shared a strong passion for music like me; I’ve decided to stick it out in Skyrim for now. Before I return to Hammerfell; at the very least I should see what this country has to offer. Who knows, maybe if I develop my magic well enough, I can apply to the College of Winterhold and do some studies there?

---Last Seed, 27th, 4E 201---​

For the first time since I've arrived in Skyrim a year ago, I have journeyed outside of Solitude and have seen what this Nordic country has to offer. And I must say that I'm glad to be back within the safe walls of Solitude as I write this. Bandits infest the roads like a plague. The hold guards who are suppose to be the ones to safeguard us innocent travelers from bodily harm are completely worthless and can barely hold off a pack of skeevers.

Even women and children should be avoided in this country. They appear innocent and pitiful but as soon as they catch you off-guard, you can say goodbye to your valuables and septims. I won't even bother going into a lengthy rant about the innumerable horrid creatures and monsters I’ve encountered but I can tell you that my feet are worn tired from running.

I was honestly hoping to journey to Winterhold and inquire of their college admission requirements but after I stopped by an inn along the way and learned of vampire sightings in the surrounding areas, I just got the hell out of there. And so I find myself stuck in a bind. I still can’t access the docks because of my father and the roads of Skyrim are too dangerous for me to leave Solitude on my own. I suppose the only thing I can really do is to raise enough septims to hire some bodyguards. Mercenaries and warriors pass through this town often and I’m sure there is at least one among them who could be my protector for a decent price. But I won’t dwell on such negatives for too long today. Today is Harvest’s End and by the gods, I’m going to go out and have myself a good time.

---Heartfire, 12th, 4E 201---​

Reading my last journal entry, I realize that the Pantheon work in a mysterious manner. In a weird twist of fate, I've found myself a member of the Dawnguard, despite my fear of vampires and despite my incompetence in battle. It all started when I got the smart idea that I would take advantage of one of the Dawnguard recruiters named Durak, who came to Solitude to recruit men for his order. After I learned that this recruiter was going from city to city, I thought that maybe I could follow him on his journey to Winterhold and once we got there, I would simply ditch him and head for the College of Winterhold.

The problem was that midway on our journey to Winterhold, we learned of a dragon attack on Helgen and this guy decides that he needs to head back to Ft. Dawnguard ASAP to bring his leader, Isran, this news. I tried to reason with him and explain to the brute that there was no way that there could have been a dragon attack because the dragons have been extinct for hundreds of years. I would know, dragon lore was one of my favorite subjects to read up on.

I also mentioned that even if they did make a sudden reappearance, surely one of the other Dawnguard members would have told this “Isran” by now? I then tried to play upon his extreme hatred of vampires and tried to urge him on to Winterhold to “recruit more soldiers in the grand quest to protect the mortal realm”. It didn’t work. And so I was left with no choice but to follow him back to his headquarters because I was too afraid to speak up and admit that I had no interest in actually joining them. The way I’ve seen that Orc tear his enemies apart, there was no way I could have told him.

Being recruited in the Dawnguard hasn’t been so bad so far, though. Isran, our leader and a fellow Redguard like me; has been tolerant of my "uselessness". After laughing at my display when I tried to show him my magic capabilities and proficiency with weapons, he has been "merciful" and “allowed me to earn my keep” by sweeping the floors and repainting the walls. I thought of explaining to him that I was actually quite talented with magic and that the only reason I performed so poorly was because I couldn’t utilize my magic well under pressure but I decided to just keep my mouth shut. From the wounds and bruises of some of the men who have come back from the vampire hunts, I think I’ll stick to the servant work and keep my delicate face unscratched.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts