OOC The Illusion Of Knowledge

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Ponder

International Man of Mystery
    You don't need a new mouse yet, unless you physically have no mouse. It's only when you're raiding and the rotations/spamheals get crazy that it helps (or if you're just awful with a track pad/you have a desktop without any mouse).

Also, make sure to get the recruit-a-friend bonus, because you get a 300% XP boost for 90 days, which makes leveling great.

Also, are you guys planning to play in an EU realm or a US realm? What times (GMT) do you think you'd be playing generally?

Ponder

If anyone else plays or would like to play WoW, and wants join us in crippling gaming addiction, we could even start an IoK guild!

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    I'm on a laptop with no mouse, but I can get one easily.

Not sure about times as of yet, but I can hash it out with grumps and try to liaise with you at some point.

To be honest I'm still in my research mode. For example, what class should I play? My gut instinct is rogue/hunter, but I no nothing about class application. Would either of those classes be any good in a group fight? They seem like they'd be fine as a solo...maybe I would need a tank to take the heat off me if I got overwhelmed...I need help ponder. I need information.

Ponder

Alright. Well, first things first--Realms and Factions.

As Alliance, I play in Aerie Peak, which is an Alliance dominated pacific realm (although my guild has people from all over the country and as far away as Egypt). I play on Zul'Jin as Horde. Your realm choice should really come down to two things--What faction you choose (which will generally be determined by what races you like best) and what times you play. If you're playing either very early or very late, you may want to join a US realm, where it's populated when the EU realms wouldn't be. Alternatively, if you're playing in that 2-6 PM zone, an EU realm might be be better. That being said, you can make it work regardless, and there are both upsides and downsides to both (also think about raiding times, but that comes later).

As for classes, there are three primary roles: Tank, Healer and DPS (which I'm sure you already know). Each class has three (or four, in the case of druids) specializations, any of which might fill a particular role. Some classes, like rogues or mages, can only fill the DPS role, while others, like Druids or Paladins, are hybrid and can fill all three. Keep in mind that there are no classes which do not have a DPS spec. If you do choose a class that can only DPS, I recommend grumpy chooses a healing/tanking class, as it makes queue times for dungeons (one of the primary methods of leveling) a LOT shorter. Also for raids. Taking that into account, try out a few classes and find what you like (you can't start dungeons until 15 though, and that's where you really start getting a feel for your classes).

With rogues and hunters, they're a lot of fun. Any class can solo quest, but hunters and rogues are especially good at it. Hunters get a pet which can draw aggro while they attack from range, and they have consistently high DPS (although their rotation can get a little weird, I think). Rogues, on the other hand, can stealth past enemies, and have an arsenal of abilities that let them stun and poison, and remove enemies from combat until they're ready for them. They also have insane burst damage (which is great for questing and dungeon, but can make raids a little more difficult, when you have to keep up a steady stream).

Ponder

But yeah, both rogues and hunters are great in groups as well, although hunters tend to be better (I think), as long as they remember to turn off their pet's aggro abilities (something many forget, which is part of the reason why they're sometimes called Huntards).

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    I'll probably go with the hunter class, and I'll see what grumpy goes with. Like I said, he played years ago so he already had an idea of his kind of play style.

I'm wondering if maybe he won't be so against my sneak tactics once they're helping him out for a change...

Ponder

Great! And keep on updated on what you go with (classes, faction, realm, the whole deal). But yeah, I main an Alliance mage on Aerie Peak, although I've been increasingly gravitating towards Warrior tanking and Shaman healing, still mostly on Aerie Peak. Just so you know. Also, sorry everyone else for this WoWtburst.

Ponder

Oh yeah, rogues are the bane of PvP (until much higher levels). So do keep that in mind, if you ever just want to ruin him. Or just sneak attack him.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    I'll keep that in mind, and yeah I will update as the story develops. Yeah sorry for derailing the thread guys.

Ponder

But I also reiterate--anyone wanting to join us in the World of Warcraft, we won't complain.

Jooooooin us.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    He hates that I always play and archer/sniper. Mostly because that one time we played the mass effect multiplayer together I decided to be a bitch and I basically spent the whole game either in cover or under my tactical cloak, casually stealing his kills while his biotic got more and more irate. It. Was. Hilarious.

Ponder

You're one of them!?

How... how could you do that? In something as sacred as Mass Effect?

I kid, I kid. Sort of. I do play Juggernaut a lot though, and there is a certain kind of person who keeps stealing my kills.

Which reminds me, none of us here ever played that game together, which is a shame because it's really hard to find people to play that with.

Ponder

I also realize I'm kind of making myself sound like I have no friends and spend all my time alone in front of a screen. This is not the case, I promise.

I just don't have very many gamer friends.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    Not normally, I prefer to use my powers for good, sniping down enemies about to flank my teammates etc. I also tend to be the one to sneak past when the objective is like "grab the thing and move it all the way way over there" when the others are getting sick of the waves.

Infiltrator for life <3

And yeah that's a shame. But maybe WoW will change that. Maybe.

I imagine you as this hardcore screenie who then goes crazy at parties and has all the best stories.

It is hard finding friends who are equally as dedicated to geekery. My friends like to fondly inform me that it's cool because I'm a "cute nerd. Not one of the weird ones". Obviously I haven't told them about my forums habits.

Ponder

Although, now that I've done a little research, I realize that it may be difficult for us three to actually play together, given how hard it is to get onto a US realm in Europe and vice-versa.

Which is a real shame, I think. Although, again, it CAN be done. Like I said, we do have guild members as far afield as Egypt. But yeah, Oceania and the Americas are connected, and then there's Europe.

Ponder

And yeah, this is a facet of my life that's pretty much kept in the dark, except from my older brother. I mean, most of my friends know I like video games, they just don't know how much time I devote to them.

And yay for us, not conforming to to geeky gamer stereotypes!

But I'm looking into trying an EU realm because frankly it'd be nice to play with people I (sort of) know. That being said, I don't know how well it would work. And yeah, if anyone does want to play Mass Effect, let me know! I still love that game.

But beware, Aerin. If you, Grumpy and I all play together, maybe the two of us would just let you die a few times for that sweet, sweet revenge.

But maybe not, because that'd be a little cruel.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    That would be cruel. And remember. Is it really a good idea to piss off the person who can disappear and stab you from the shadows? Is that really a wise move?

I kid, I kid.

Ahem.

Ponder

*coughs*

So, any updates on the tea place? It looks like I'll be in the area next May/June (if everything works out), so I might as well start planning now.

Aerin

IOK's Token Brit
    Oh heavens it completely slipped my mind. I'll see what I can do. I'll pop it on the to do lost for the day and see what I can find.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts