• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Docta Corvina

I've read that on FB :)

As far as I'm concerned, despite the film's name, Peter Jackson doesn't only use the Hobbit for his movie: he uses elements from other stories as well. A few of the events and characters come from The Quest Of Erebor, which is Tolkien's name for the larger, more inclusive story. Maybe the extra character Jackson added comes from this version.
According to a few 'experts' on the internet, there's actually very little in The Hobbit film that's not taken from Tolkien's writings. The Hobbit was written before Tolkien decided that it would be a part of his Middle-Earth universe. There are many editions and versions of the original story where he changed events and characters.

...Maybe (but I really don't know :)) this is the reason why that character is in the movie and not in the book...

This is certainly true, that Jackson is utilizing material from other works of Tolkien. Azog, the Pale Orc, is something of a passing reference in The Hobbit novel, but obviously Jackson saw fit to greatly increase his presence for the film(s), to add that element. Same with the Necromancer subplot, in that it wasn't part of the book but it's being included as a kind of interesting thematic bridge between Jackson's Hobbit and LotR films.

My problem is that this character was apparently created completely, manufactured to fill some sort of perceived void, to serve some sort of purpose in the film(s). And if what we're hearing is true, if that purpose is even partly romantic, when romance was not even any sort of real theme in the novel, I find it rather troubling.

I don't mind the kind of slight "remixing" of the material when it's drawn from existing lore content nearly as much as I mind the invention of characters. Especially when they seem to be designed as the executors of plot devices that weren't even present in the original story. Pjack saying "well, the Hobbit needed more women, so here!" just doesn't cut it for me. Because I don't feel like it does at all.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
This is certainly true, that Jackson is utilizing material from other works of Tolkien. Azog, the Pale Orc, is something of a passing reference in The Hobbit novel, but obviously Jackson saw fit to greatly increase his presence for the film(s), to add that element. Same with the Necromancer subplot, in that it wasn't part of the book but it's being included as a kind of interesting thematic bridge between Jackson's Hobbit and LotR films.

My problem is that this character was apparently created completely, manufactured to fill some sort of perceived void, to serve some sort of purpose in the film(s). And if what we're hearing is true, if that purpose is even partly romantic, when romance was not even any sort of real theme in the novel, I find it rather troubling.

I don't mind the kind of slight "remixing" of the material when it's draw from existing lore content nearly as much as I mind the invention of characters. Especially when they seem to be designed as the executors of plot devices that weren't even present in the original story. Pjack saying "well, the Hobbit needed more women, so here!" just doesn't cut it for me. Because I don't feel like it does at all.

Hmm.. I didn't know he just made it up. I really thought the character was related to the story somehow. But creating a character just to add some romantic drama to the story makes no sense. I still 'trust' Peter Jackson though.. He's one of the best directors/producers out there so I hope he knows what he's doing.

...And maybe if he finds out about the furious Hobbit fans, in the next movie we can watch a dramatic dying scene ;)

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Of course there must be romance and all that added into the Hobbit! Every movie that comes out needs sex, violence, and romance! It just has to happen! Can't be a movie without those three things! Srsly though, if they add anything, has to be a strong dwarf woman warrior! For realz yo! She also needs an epic beard!

Docta Corvina

Of course there must be romance and all that added into the Hobbit! Every movie that comes out needs sex, violence, and romance! It just has to happen! Can't be a movie without those three things! Srsly though, if they add anything, has to be a strong dwarf woman warrior! For realz yo! She also needs an epic beard!

Seriously, when I first heard about this chick, I swore up and down she was gonna be Thorin's love interest. Because, I mean, what better love story, right? Stubbornly proud, gloomy Dwarf prince meets spirited elf warrior woman (the IRONY!) - the only one who could find her way into the Misty Mountain of his mournful heart.

...And I thusly would have raged in Hollywood's general direction...with rusty cutlery.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens

I don't mind the kind of slight "remixing" of the material when it's drawn from existing lore content nearly as much as I mind the invention of characters. Especially when they seem to be designed as the executors of plot devices that weren't even present in the original story. Pjack saying "well, the Hobbit needed more women, so here!" just doesn't cut it for me. Because I don't feel like it does at all.

Yeah know ...(and this might be alil stupid of me,but ) the way you feel about this character is the same way I feel about "Thorin's Beard". Thorin was awesome in this movie, and the Actor is awesome... but Thorin is nothing like I pictured him all these years since I first read the book. If anything all all could have been changed about him for me, he should have had a Longer Beard.

I always thought he was suppose to be a Stout, Honorable, Old Kingly type of Dwarf. If not that is ok with be but Just let him have a Stinkin Long BEARD!!

I know the writers wanted Throin to be a Younger looking, Strapping Piece of Man meat for the Ladies... but really, They could have kept him more of a Dwarf and made his beard longer atleast. I shudder to think they did that just to keep the "Lowest Common Donimator" of Fans.. who would have to be Female ..from Saying "Like, OMG Did you see that Thorin dude? Ugh He is so no as cute as like Vigo Mortin, Mortens.. whatever his name is!!!)

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
..pfft I'd still hit it

Bearded women dwarfs be sexy yo. Tug while you plug! Wow, that was a crude joke.

Seriously, when I first heard about this chick, I swore up and down she was gonna be Thorin's love interest. Because, I mean, what better love story, right? Stubbornly proud, gloomy Dwarf prince meets spirited elf warrior woman (the IRONY!) - the only one who could find her way into the Misty Mountain of his mournful heart.

...And I thusly would have raged in Hollywood's general direction...with rusty cutlery.

And haha well I don't feel that way. I loved the books. Now if they tried to rewrite the books and add that stuff in, I'd be a hater. But it's a movie adaptation and as long as it's a good movie, I don't much care. Which is weird since I was kinda pissed how they changed the Walking Dead show from the comic! :p

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Yeah know ...(and this might be alil stupid of me,but ) the way you feel about this character is the same way I feel about "Thorin's Beard". Thorin was awesome in this movie, and the Actor is awesome... but Thorin is nothing like I pictured him all these years since I first read the book.

Well, we all have that problem when we see a movie about a book. I was disappointed too when I saw Fenrir Greyback in the Harry Potter movies after I read about him. I think a director could never satisfy every fan when it comes down to this..

Docta Corvina

And haha well I don't feel that way. I loved the books. Now if they tried to rewrite the books and add that stuff in, I'd be a hater. But it's a movie adaptation and as long as it's a good movie, I don't much care. Which is weird since I was kinda pissed how they changed the Walking Dead show from the comic! :p

Some things are simply unforgivable, Pun. Forcing romance on Thorin is one of them. :cool:

I have always loved Thorin, he's one of my favorite fictional characters EVAH. I'm a tad protective. I'm sure you understand.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Haha Docta, I just love to tease you since i know how much passionate you are about this. :p I think I'll wait and see how it goes. Who knows, it could actually add to the movie and feel. Until I see it, I won't pass judgement.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
Some things are simply unforgivable, Pun. Forcing romance on Thorin is one of them. :cool:

I have always loved Thorin, he's one of my favorite fictional characters EVAH. I'm a tad protective. I'm sure you understand.

I wonder if that is right though, that she will be a Love intrest of Throins.
Legolas maybe? I could see them doing that one. (Which there is another "Um" all together)

Bearded women dwarfs be sexy yo. Tug while you plug! Wow, that was a crude joke. :p

Ooooh Uthy! a Whole new level my friend ...a whole new level:blackdragon:

sticky runes

Pjack saying "well, the Hobbit needed more women, so here!" just doesn't cut it for me. Because I don't feel like it does at all.

Maybe a one off movie wouldn't need more female characters, but an entire trilogy without any females doing anything would probably lose appeal to some audiences. Just think - you'd have the boys all sitting in the cinema going "yeah! The dwarves and men all kicking ass!" and the girls will be like "ok, so... where do we fit in?"

Yes, we had Galadriel's scene (I can't remember if she actually had anything to do in the Hobbit book or not) but she's this otherwordly sorceress who doesn't get physically involved with the quest. I think modern audiences appreciate having a female character to connect with who does take part in the action, and there are PLENTY of fantasy novels around that do give us a lot of strong females so that a movie adaptation wouldn't need to stretch it, but with an adaptation of the Hobbit, and one which is going to be extra long and have tons more content added in, I think Jackson will be taking a risk whether he adds a new heroine or not. Ultimately, he's done a good job with his Tolkien movies so far, so I think we'll just have to trust him with it.

Docta Corvina

I wonder if that is right though, that she will be a Love intrest of Throins.
Legolas maybe? I could see them doing that one. (Which there is another "Um" all together)

Ooooh Uthy! a Whole new level my friend ...a whole new level:blackdragon:

I've heard that she won't be Thorin's love interest, but one for his nephews, presumably for them to fight over. Which, again, is less offensive. But still offensive. Sort of like a public bathroom freshly stunk-up but half-heartedly sprayed with Febreeze.

Docta Corvina

Maybe a one off movie wouldn't need more female characters, but an entire trilogy without any females doing anything would probably lose appeal to some audiences. Just think - you'd have the boys all sitting in the cinema going "yeah! The dwarves and men all kicking ass!" and the girls will be like "ok, so... where do we fit in?"

Yes, we had Galadriel's scene (I can't remember if she actually had anything to do in the Hobbit book or not) but she's this otherwordly sorceress who doesn't get physically involved with the quest. I think modern audiences appreciate having a female character to connect with who does take part in the action, and there are PLENTY of fantasy novels around that do give us a lot of strong females so that a movie adaptation wouldn't need to stretch it, but with an adaptation of the Hobbit, and one which is going to be extra long and have tons more content added in, I think Jackson will be taking a risk whether he adds a new heroine or not. Ultimately, he's done a good job with his Tolkien movies so far, so I think we'll just have to trust him with it.

I must be an odd woman then, because I never once, reading the book or watching the film, felt like I needed a woman to connect with, so to speak. :confused:

Docta Corvina

Haha Docta, I just love to tease you since i know how much passionate you are about this. :p I think I'll wait and see how it goes. Who knows, it could actually add to the movie and feel. Until I see it, I won't pass judgement.

Yes, you know how passionate I get with stuff. You should hear me when driving.

You are even-keeled to the last, Pun. Cracks me up. :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts