• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
Discussion for the movie / book. Your take on what's happened so far and what you think we can expect in the next 2 years.

SPOILERS FOR THOSE THAT HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK.

Docta Corvina

I'll start by copy pasta'ing what I just angrily scrawled on Facebook:

http://the-hobbit-movie.com/2013/04/18/tauriel-in-the-hobbit/

^ This is making me angry and twitchy. There's NO need for her to exist as a character. None. Let alone have a "tremendous impact" on the story when she wasn't even in the book. Jackson did not need to "create" a character for the sake of filling some perceived void. If she has any sort of romantic role with a main character (like, say, THORIN), there will be rage. FFS!

Otherwise, I am pumped for the rest of the films. Well, less so for the third, for...depressing spoilery reasons. But yeah.

nordicowboy

I saw that (exactly why I made this thread). Remember, the Necromancer story wasn't part of the book either.....but I still think that it's going to make a great addition. I agree with you on the idea of a romance for Thorin. It would really kill the personality that makes him great.

Docta Corvina

The Necromancer wasn't part of the book, but it's a fantastic bridge they've made between the Hobbit and the LotR adventures though. It's almost seamless, what they're going to have done with it by the end. Adding another character, who is not part of the lore in any fashion, seems a tad risky and ridiculous. Especially when they basically say they did it because Tolkien just didn't make enough female characters - which is also arguable.

Romance for Thorin would be flat out unforgivable. He's the tragically prideful Dwarf bachelor prince. And King Badass. Romance would more than kill his personality. :sadface:

nordicowboy

So what do you think will comprise the 2nd film? I'm guessing the obvious with Boern, Mirkwood, the Elven Dungeons, Necromancer, and the intro to Bard and Laketown.

Docta Corvina

You've pretty much nailed it - that's what I envision. I'm curious about Bard the Bowman, myself. Not sure I care to see Legolas again though. Never had much use for him or Orlie. :p

nordicowboy

Well.....Bard is pretty damn important considering what he does. I just can't see him doing it before the last film. And prepare for more Legolas, it's coming whether you like it or not.

sticky runes

To be honest, I can't remember that much of the book, so I'm excited to see how Jackson's version will play out.

I can totally understand him adding some girl power to the trilogy - face it, Tolkien was a bit stingy with female characters, and these days people want to see girls getting in on the action. I'm sure Jackson won't do a complete Mary sue with her though (sorry for using that geeky term, but it seemed appropriate for this subject!) I mean, he was originally going to have Arwen joining in the battle at Helms Deep, and Liv Tyler even did a bit of sword training for that scene, but it was all left out in favour of having Arwen as an emotionally strong character rather than a physical warrior, which rightly went to Eowyn's big moment against the Witch King.

But the Hobbit doesn't really have anything to match up to Eowyn's battle (as far as I can remember) so they'd need to take some liberties.

But I am really looking forward to the spiders. :D

Docta Corvina

LOL, indeed, that's why I'm curious about Bard and hope they get him right. I've not heard of his actor before (Luke Evans), but in the stills I've seen he sorta reminds me of Orlando Bloom. Which is funny when he and Legolas are in shots together. :p Like here:

legolas_bard_the_bowman1.jpg

Docta Corvina

To be honest, I can't remember that much of the book, so I'm excited to see how Jackson's version will play out.

I can totally understand him adding some girl power to the trilogy - face it, Tolkien was a bit stingy with female characters, and these days people want to see girls getting in on the action. I'm sure Jackson won't do a complete Mary sue with her though (sorry for using that geeky term, but it seemed appropriate for this subject!) I mean, he was originally going to have Arwen joining in the battle at Helms Deep, and Liv Tyler even did a bit of sword training for that scene, but it was all left out in favour of having Arwen as an emotionally strong character rather than a physical warrior, which rightly went to Eowyn's big moment against the Witch King.

But the Hobbit doesn't really have anything to match up to Eowyn's battle (as far as I can remember) so they'd need to take some liberties.

But I am really looking forward to the spiders. :D

I am SO meh on the 'girl power' thing. Really. HOBBIT DOESN'T NEED IT. :p

I do agree on the spiders though.

sticky runes

That's funny, because Evans and Bloom were in the Three Muskateers together, and I couldn't tell them apart! :confused:

I don't think it needs girl power either, but I can understand them adding it, and I'm sure it will be handled well enough that it won't completely piss people off.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
You need not worry about the romance being tied to Thorin's storyline. I read sometime ago that it was either Fili or Kili (can't remember exactly) who romances Tauriel. This, I believe, came from Evangeline Lily herself when she was talking about her character.

Docta Corvina

You need not worry about the romance being tied to Thorin's storyline. I read sometime ago that it was either Fili or Kili (can't remember exactly) who romances Tauriel. This, I believe, came from Evangeline Lily herself when she was talking about her character.

Oh, Christ...

I admit, that's less unforgivable than it being Thorin. But it still is contrived and unnecessary as hell. In my humble opinion. :p

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Oh, Christ...

I admit, that's less unforgivable than it being Thorin. But it still is contrived and unnecessary as hell. In my humble opinion. :p

I won't argue with ya on that one. The whole romance subplot definitely feels stapled on, and I wish Peter Jackson hadn't pulled it out of his ass. The story doesn't need it, it's not in the books, so why is it there?

Docta Corvina

I won't argue with ya on that one. The whole romance subplot definitely feels stapled on, and I wish Peter Jackson hadn't pulled it out of his ass. The story doesn't need it, it's not in the books, so why is it there?

THIS. I think this is what has made me so hostile to the Tauriel chick in the first place - I could feel in my bones she would really likely be used as a means to a romantic ends. And if you go out of your way to create a damn character as a plot device that wasn't even present in the book (romance in the Hobbit, dafuq?)...I have a bloody hard time taking her seriously.

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
THIS. I think this is what has made me so hostile to the Tauriel chick in the first place - I could feel in my bones she would really likely be used as a means to a romantic ends. And if you go out of your way to create a damn character as a plot device that wasn't even present in the book (romance in the Hobbit, dafuq?)...I have a bloody hard time taking her seriously.

Yeah, it definitely feels like PJ was just playing by the numbers when he came up with this character. Y'know, every big budget movie needs a romantic subplot to maximize its appeal to a wider audience etc. Here is where I respectfully disagree with PJ and Hollywood in general: not every fluffing movie needs a sappy side story FFS! I hope the character is at least interesting and well-written.. otherwise she will feel like a nuisance and a distraction.

Docta Corvina

Yeah, it definitely feels like PJ was just playing by the numbers when he came up with this character. Y'know, every big budget movie needs a romantic subplot to maximize its appeal to a wider audience etc. Here is where I respectfully disagree with PJ and Hollywood in general: not every fluffing movie needs a sappy side story FFS! I hope the character is at least interesting and well-written.. otherwise she will feel like a nuisance and a distraction.

Again, THIS. Not to mention, The Hobbit simply was not about romantic love, for godsakes! It was an epic adventure and quest for the restoration of "home", and also is heavily about personal growth from various kinds of "lessons" and tests, and what it means to be a "hero". It's very much a story of camaraderie, of family, of sacrifice, and inevitable tragic flaws. Romance wasn't even on the damn radar in the book.

Hmm, I need to breathe deeply before I get too impassioned. :p

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
Again, THIS. Not to mention, The Hobbit simply was not about romantic love, for godsakes! It was an epic adventure and quest for the restoration of "home", and also is heavily about personal growth from various kinds of "lessons" and tests, and what it means to be a "hero". It's very much a story of camaraderie, of family, of sacrifice, and inevitable tragic flaws. Romance wasn't even on the damn radar in the book.

Hmm, I need to breathe deeply before I get too impassioned. :p

Couldn't have said it better myself! At times during the movie I was actually concerned there might be a romance subplot on the way involving Gandalf and Galadriel, but thankfully that doesn't seem to be the case from what I've read. The way the two characters interacted was kinda confusing, but maybe I was just reading too much into it :p But seriously though, if I heard PJ had raped the story like that, I probably couldn't bring myself to watch the second and third films o_O The story should be strictly focused on the things you listed above, as it was in the book.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I shame myself because I'm a Tolkien Fan who hasn't seen "The Hobbit" movie yet :sadface:

..but I'll see it on redbox hopefully.

I'm not sure I like too much "New" stuff writen for the storys like this new Elf Girl Character. I had this problem with "The Two Towers" when the Elves marched up to help out with Helms Deep. Sure it was Really Awesome, and Said something to see elves there... but...

...In the Book,(Or back of the book if you will) the reason no one came to help Helms Deep is because Everyone else was getting attacked at the same time. Lothorien, Mirkwood and Even the Lonely Mountain were all getting simintanious strikes set up by "The Dark Lord", to give a quick punch to everything when that happened. There was no one to come help. It just made the Whole story diffrent. (Don't get me started on Faramir)

So I kind of Cringe when PJ makes some "Artistic" Changes. They could be Awesome, but are they awesome enough to move the movie along or are they just "Stuff because we needed this here".

...However, Smaug!

I hope they made "Smaug" the Most Awesome, Power, Evil Dragon Anyone has ever seen... Because that is exactly what he is. The Most.

Every Fantasy Picture or Image of a Big Dragon Sitting on a Big Pile of Gold was created, inspired, or even ripped-off from Smaug the Destroyer. I have faith they will do this right, because any Hobbit fan would know that he has to be "That Damn Bad@ss of a Dragon"!

..eer unless your name is Rankin and you create the "Cat Dragon".

1-smaug.jpg

sticky runes

Forgot to mention that I'd like to see Gandalf using more f#cking magic.

I get that Peter Jackson isn't a big fan of magical effects in his movies and he doesn't want it to look cheesy with fireballs and lightning bolts spraying everywhere, but the RPG nerd in me is like: He's a wizard. The reason you take a wizard on a quest with you is to blast enemies with magic while the others use their swords.
Sure, it's cool to see an old guy swinging a sword around as well as any of the younger fighters, but there is such thing as too much. He occasionally shines a light and splits a rock open, and the rest of the time he's hacking and slashing. Enough with making Gandalf look like a samurai. Make him more wizardly!

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts