1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

The game keeps autosaving when it shouldn't

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by crashhat69, May 16, 2017.

1. crashhat69

crashhat69 Member

I have every autosave option is disabled, but the game keeps autosaving on certain parts. I freak out every time it happens because the game freezes for a few seconds or so each time it happens lol.Why is the game autosaving?

2. Restless

Restless Well-Known Member

It's because it's a necessary autosave, most likely. Is it happening near bosses, or just every time you enter a loading screen?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Daelon DuLac

Daelon DuLac How do you backstab a Dragon?

If you turn off all the autosave options, the only time it will autosave is occassionally when you go in to inventory. There really isn't any way to get around that one.

I would assume that it autosaves because that's part of the design and, rather than just an autosave, it's also an update of the data.

On the plus side, at least the autosaves aren't nearly as dangerous as they were in Oldrim.

4. crashhat69

crashhat69 Member

It's happened during each of the "black book" quests I've done so far, and on a couple other parts.

5. Daelon DuLac

Weird. And that's without going in to your inventory? Must be something built in to the quest. Strange indeed.

SSE is far more stable than Oldrim though so it shouldn't be a big problem.

6. Chadonraz

Chadonraz Well-Known Member

IIRC the Black Books trigger an autosave when you read them and when you return to Solstheim, EVEN WHEN you have disabled all autosaves.

A couple other quests do it as well; the game ALWAYS autosaves before entering the chamber where the Caller is (College questline) and before entering the boss area of "Lost to the Ages".

(Also, if you disable "Save on Character Menu" the game won't save when entering/in inventory screen.)

7. Daelon DuLac

Not true. Try turning everything off and see if, occasionally it does not save when you enter the inventory. In my many thousands of hours of play, I can tell you definitively that, yes, it does.

8. Chadonraz

Chadonraz Well-Known Member

9. Daelon DuLac

Both have always done it for me occasionally despite having turned everything off and I have come to accept it. Besides, technically you can't turn everything off, just the autosaves. Sure you can jack the Save on Character Menu up as high as possible, but, at some point, it will save when you use it. You can't turn it off.