• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Pessia

So I came across a rather interesting and vastly useful trick many may or may not know about.

To start off, I tend to play very situational characters more or less intended for closed areas like dungeons, houses, keeps and so on. I'm very fragile in open forests, plains and especially such in the daylight.

So how do you get around very challenging fights? What tricks are at your disposal? I've found most areas in Skyrim are very savage and dangerous, if it's not a Bandit it's a Bear, if not a Troll it's an Ice Wraith and so on. However, as I tend to use this trick frequently inside previously listed areas to lure enemies away from doors, chests or simply to set them up for backstabs... I've found a way to apply it to the open lands and felt it clever enough to make a post on.

Recently I was traveling from Riften towards Ivarstead and passed by a strange fort​
like encampment but at my level I felt it best to stray away from the place which had been battling a Giant which let me sneak by, Maybe that incident gave way to this next idea. As paranoid as I am playing these types of characters I tend to pay very close attention to game sounds, shadows and even the lay of the land such as dead bodies and discarded items, I've yet to have it not pay off at least half the time in some very large way.
On this chance encounter however I heard a loud savage roaring noise through the clearing,​
being a fan of bears it was rather clear what was making the sound, needless to say I felt it better to just make my way widely around the location and scuttle the cliff side. This proved to be nearly disastrous as I came to a grinding halt behind a small berm of upturned earth having spotted a lumbering Troll on the otherside thrashing it's way through a meadow. I immediately got annoyed, first angry Bears and now a flower stomping Troll, meanwhile here I sit deciding on how to sneak by yet another obstacle... and suddenly the idea came to me. Drawing out my bow I only began to try and string together what could possibly be the next greatest event to bolster my ongoing love for Skyrim. Taking needed aim with application of my indoor experience of this tactic while compensating for the vast distance between my two objectives I starting plucking shots off in two opposite directions. Instantly the two creatures became excessively annoyed at the disruption in their daily rampage, chasing after what may possibly be some small defenseless creature the two suddenly found themselves yards away from eachother entirely unprepared for the coming battle. Yes, for now it was Troll against Bear. I was positively ecstatic over the sudden snarling and bloody slashing claws I saw in the distance I found it hard to leave the scene of my trickery but felt it best not to stick around.

Hopefully this little light-comical tale aids you in your future endeavors, all that's needed is​
to ensure you place your shots a few yards away from the target and continue to do so in the same manner. I haven't tested this out on many different Enemies but I could imagine by lore alone that some examples would be: Bandit vs. Alternate Bandit (Necromancers, Forsworn ect.), Any form of Humanoid vs. Bear (This includes friendly factions but only luring the hostile towards the friendly) and so on.
Also, given the concept of this idea I'm curious what other ones are out there people have read or thought up. If you have such a trick toss it below.

Pessia

Came across a few other unique tricks as well, maybe they'll help you or just entertain you now and then.

Ever wish you could use traps more against an enemy? Well, I've found that pressure plates can be activated from the deflection of an arrow, nice way to outsmart that clever AI who thinks he can just walk around it.

A few other tricks to pay attention to are your surroundings, Bethesda spared no detail when it comes to environment and they never really have.
  • Predator or Prey? Keep a look out for things like prey such as Elk, foxes, goats and so on as they tend to end up as a snack for something far greater.
  • Bodies abound. keep a very keen eye out for them. Why are bodies so important? Sure, you see a dead body it means something is around. Do not underestimate this detail, some bodies are mangled and torn apart while others are simply dead, Trolls are savage creatures and tend to live in caves with little regard for housekeeping so a few tattered bodies outside a cave may give you a clue.
  • Hunting the hunter. while Hunters have many small camps about Skyrim or wander the roads... Beasts tend to get their revenge. Do not always jog into a hunter's camp, you may find yourself bartering with a razor sharp set of claws.
  • Lion and the mouse? Careful if you spot two animals that are normally hostile towards eachother in the same area playing nice, there are some things far more clever than the wild beasts of the land.
  • One step ahead, two steps back. Pickpocketing may seem useless outside of making a bit of gold but at skill level 70 you get Misdirection which allows you to nab equipped weapons. Careful though, Enemies that find themselves defenseless will do what they should do... run. Make sure to stay a step ahead of your target and loot any nearby weapons laying around so they have few options. (I'm rather impressed at the level of AI on that one)

NikolaTesla

Admiral Sunna Kyndai
very useful tips, thanks

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
I now sneek around with two levels of arrows the ones for killing and my iron distraction arrows

Pessia

Sadly Archery isn't a skill I've yet to figure out how to enjoy, for whatever reason I just feel it does too little of damage and with the strong lack of traps in the game it's very pressed for quick kills before melee. I've considered using Destruction's Frost Rune to slow them down and enchanting a bow with Frost damage but that's about all I can think up outside using Slow or Paralysis Poisons... could use Frenzy as well or Conjured pets but that just takes all the fun out of it.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
I wish this was more like fallout where it really mattered where you hit your target, but as I have my archery and sneek maxed out I almost always one shot unless its a dragon a giant or a mammoth

Pessia

Ya that'd be nice, I've had a few really interesting shots myself I could see being critical strikes or such. Wish I got a picture of it but I fired an arrow from a below a target and ended up hitting him in the throat, forgot to get a picture of it afterwards.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts