• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Let the rumble begin.
20141231_170803.jpg
20141231_172232.jpg
20141231_171800.jpg
20141231_173729.jpg
20141231_175030.jpg
20141231_175531.jpg
20141231_175932.jpg
20141231_180406.jpg
20141231_180548.jpg
I spared him in end. Mostly used my sword, but pulled out my bow when he would begin to back off and try to bait me into an approach (far too dangerous to approach a giant when their AI does that). Died a few times when its hit box fluctuated and he managed to clip me. Had to use rocks to regain my stamina a lot. It was a good fight.

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
This was funny at first, but I'm not entertaining your trolling any longer.

...In my experience, usually people use the term 'trolling' to describe someone who is purposefully trying to either create arguement or upset another. This conversation has been perceived as nothing but jestful on my side. I am sorry if you have since become bitter to my remarks. That was not at all my intent. Also, while my suggestion for a task to show 'badassery' is both half joking and half serious, it is most certainly possible. That said, it wasn't meant to be a 'formal challenge' as you put it.

Staff member
This was funny at first, but I'm not entertaining your trolling any longer.

...In my experience, usually people use the term 'trolling' to describe someone who is purposefully trying to either create arguement or upset another. This conversation has been perceived as nothing but jestful on my side. I am sorry if you have since become bitter to my remarks. That was not at all my intent. Also, while my suggestion for a task to show 'badassery' is both half joking and half serious, it is most certainly possible. That said, it wasn't meant to be a 'formal challenge' as you put it.
No, it is not plausible to defeat an Elder Dragon at level 1 on Legendary difficulty with a hatchet. And it was a jest at first, but it was dragging on long enough to become annoying. I accept your apology.

HouseHosted

Well, I'm glad we sorted that out, but I must disagree the task is most certainly possible. I can even post a picture of how it can be done. It appears the reason you're convinced is because of the death blows, yes? Well, by using the terrain to your advantage an enemy cannot initiate a death blow. This makes it possible to attack ANY foe regardless of your health/remaining health. Dragons are no different.

I am quite curious how you found an Elder dragon at level one though. Everywhere I go has a different level for when they begin spawning and none suggest below level 20. Most dragons are radiant as I understand. Only a handful(?) of named dragons have static level spawns.

Staff member
Well, I'm glad we sorted that out, but I must disagree the task is most certainly possible. I can even post a picture of how it can be done. It appears the reason you're convinced is because of the death blows, yes? Well, by using the terrain to your advantage an enemy cannot initiate a death blow. This makes it possible to attack ANY foe regardless of your health/remaining health. Dragons are no different.

I am quite curious how you found an Elder dragon at level one though. Everywhere I go has a different level for when they begin spawning and none suggest below level 20. Most dragons are radiant as I understand. Only a handful(?) of named dragons have static level spawns.
There is an Elder Dragon and Frost Dragon atop Skuldafn. There is even an Ancient Dragon in Blackreach.

And melee has difficulty reaching over terrain, and besides which, dodging and avoiding its attacks while contending with the terrain between you also makes things complicated. It also makes it that much more difficult to stop a dragon's breath attacks.

The side of a hill MIGHT work, but again, keeping the dragon there presents another difficulty. A small patch of trees, maybe, if you can lure it close enough. But that is still risky and they can still get a finishing move off. They can also usually step over most terrain.

Unless there is a way to increase your armor rating high enough to counteract finishing moves, then it is nigh impossible. I am currently working my way through the mainquestline to try it, however. I will probably meet the Ancient Dragon before the Elder, however. I am not very optimistic about my chances. I will likely have to break out the daedric for it.

HouseHosted

There is an Elder Dragon and Frost Dragon atop Skuldafn. There is even an Ancient Dragon in Blackreach.

That would explain why I don't recall ever encountering one. I've beaten the main storyline maybe twice.

And melee has difficulty reaching over terrain, and besides which, dodging and avoiding its attacks while contending with the terrain between you also makes things complicated. It also makes it that much more difficult to stop a dragon's breath attacks.

The side of a hill MIGHT work, but again, keeping the dragon there presents another difficulty. A small patch of trees, maybe, if you can lure it close enough. But that is still risky and they can still get a finishing move off. They can also usually step over most terrain.

The dragon's fire/frost is actually the least worrisome. With some enchanting you can easily negate all damage taken. Throw in a couple resist potions if you're coming short, and you're set.

Unless there is a way to increase your armor rating high enough to counteract finishing moves, then it is nigh impossible. I am currently working my way through the mainquestline to try it, however. I will probably meet the Ancient Dragon before the Elder, however. I am not very optimistic about my chances. I will likely have to break out the daedric for it.

I wouldn't say near impossible. It would require far more patience than anything... I mean, really? ~7 base damage to a creature that has a crazy amount of health and resistance. I'm not well versed in the damage vs. resistance formulas, but it will be a really long fight. And that's an understatement!

Now keep in mind: Sure, you can bypass the death blows/finishing moves (whatever), but the damage you take will necessitate a massive amount of health potions.... I'd guess around 300 or so... and additional mixtures like fortify HA and such...

I wouldn't be upset if I became bored. In many ways, just because something is possible, doesn't mean it has to be done...

Staff member

That would explain why I don't recall ever encountering one. I've beaten the main storyline maybe twice.

The dragon's fire/frost is actually the least worrisome. With some enchanting you can easily negate all damage taken. Throw in a couple resist potions if you're coming short, and you're set.

I wouldn't say near impossible. It would require far more patience than anything... I mean, really? ~7 base damage to a creature that has a crazy amount of health and resistance. I'm not well versed in the damage vs. resistance formulas, but it will be a really long fight. And that's an understatement!

Now keep in mind: Sure, you can bypass the death blows/finishing moves (whatever), but the damage you take will necessitate a massive amount of health potions.... I'd guess around 300 or so... and additional mixtures like fortify HA and such...

I wouldn't be upset if I became bored. In many ways, just because something is possible, doesn't mean it has to be done...
If I can get enough AR to avoid finishing moves, then the fight is over. Become Ethereal neutralizes breath attacks from range, and I can also shield bash them when they get close. They would not be able to touch me with their bite attacks. I would need few healing potions for that, and few stamina potions as well. Are the sidequests/guildquests all open to level 1s?

HouseHosted

Oh, sorry. Didn't realize you'd still be posting this late at night.... Yea, all the quests are available. All except most Daedric quests... ...hmmm... Well, Mjoll's quest isn't available until later... Can't think of any others right now...

Edit: Oh, yes... The Shield of Solitude is tied to leveling up, so a level one will never acquire that shield... I'll post any others I can think of.

...Technically Vlindrel Hall isn't available until level 20. But that can be subverted by completing the Civil War on the Stormcloaks' side.

Late edit: Definitely going to bed now. Need some sleep, for sure.

If you have any other questions about a level one pt, feel free to ask. I should be able to answer a few of them.

Cheers

Last edited:

cave812

dissenter
theres nothing challenging about skyrim, the game holds your hand and asks you how your feeling constantly. Its a kids game with violence in it. Morrowind is a challenge.

Staff member
theres nothing challenging about skyrim, the game holds your hand and asks you how your feeling constantly. Its a kids game with violence in it. Morrowind is a challenge.
No doubt Morrowind is a challenge, however everything else about your post is more than a little incorrect. I think the Ebony Warrior needs to have a good stern talk with you.

Staff member
Oh, sorry. Didn't realize you'd still be posting this late at night.... Yea, all the quests are available. All except most Daedric quests... ...hmmm... Well, Mjoll's quest isn't available until later... Can't think of any others right now...

Edit: Oh, yes... The Shield of Solitude is tied to leveling up, so a level one will never acquire that shield... I'll post any others I can think of.

...Technically Vlindrel Hall isn't available until level 20. But that can be subverted by completing the Civil War on the Stormcloaks' side.

Late edit: Definitely going to bed now. Need some sleep, for sure.

If you have any other questions about a level one pt, feel free to ask. I should be able to answer a few of them.

Cheers
WAIT A MINUTE, YOU CHEEKY BASTAR*! You're the one that TOLD me of daedric armor at level 1! God dang it, you freaking got me with that one xD Cheers indeed! Well played! :beermug:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts