OOC The Darkest of Days/A Rift in Time

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

MR-WIKI-96

I know all! I am the WIKI!
    Kynareth really likes Balfring. Why else do you think the voice comes so naturally to him? Also, just so you know, many of the Divines are choosing "champions", just as the Daedra do, in order to return at least some of their influence to Nirn. The only one who has really gone through with it at the moment is Dibella, though, and my next post involves that quite a bit.

Feeling like a boss after reading that. :D

MR-WIKI-96

I've been waiting for Madgod to post, he said he would in his last few posts. :)

Morganatic

Kinetically-Interlinked Nirnian Multi-User Exoform
    Not a problem, mast3rlinx - I've been remiss in my posting speed, can't throw stones here. If you want Nbthlad to follow along with Murzuth, that'd be cool with me - we're on a trip to Solitude. See all the sights, upturn all the shrines, loot all the valuable trade goods, y'know the deal.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    I've been waiting for Madgod to post, he said he would in his last few posts. :)

I gave you the part you need to know. Uncooperative computer :mad: I can't promise I'll try to post it, but I promise I'll try to try. Nah, but I should have it up today. And no problem, Guy-who-I-haven't-come-up-with-a-good-nickname-for-yet. I did that when I first joined. Then I started RPing in August. Now I'm one of the top posting members on the forums. And soon, I will beat even Dagmar... Soon... Don't tell her, though!

MR-WIKI-96

I gave you the part you need to know. Uncooperative computer :mad: I can't promise I'll try to post it, but I promise I'll try to try. Nah, but I should have it up today. And no problem, Guy-who-I-haven't-come-up-with-a-good-nickname-for-yet. I did that when I first joined. Then I started RPing in August. Now I'm one of the top posting members on the forums. And soon, I will beat even Dagmar... Soon... Don't tell her, though!

Lol, I thought you were going to post Kyraneth and Dibella's POVs, so I waited. I didn't know you were actually giving me the part for me too post. :oops: I'll post tomorrow. :)

MR-WIKI-96

Hey Madgod, I'm planning on writing a conversation between Dibella and Kyraneth about Balfring and the war (if that's all right with you ;)) but I'm having trouble with a couple of things about the lore. Can you help out please? :)

1. What is the Nine Divines equivalent of Oblivion? Like, the Daedra princes have Oblivion to call their home as well as watch over Nirn. What do the divines have that is the equivalent of that?

2. What are the personalities of Dibella and Kyraneth?

I'll still be writing a Balfring post. :) It'll be: the first paragraph or two will be the conversation between the two divines. Then the next paragraph will be one of them talking to Balfring about him being their "champion" as well as one of them healing Balfring. Then the last couple will be Balfring waking up just fine. :)

Morganatic

Hey Madgod, I'm planning on writing a conversation between Dibella and Kyraneth about Balfring and the war (if that's all right with you ;)) but I'm having trouble with a couple of things about the lore. Can you help out please? :)

Mind if I step in? Conquers is of course the OP, but when has a little matter like that got in the way of a whole lot of Morgan-rambling ...

1. What is the Nine Divines equivalent of Oblivion? Like, the Daedra princes have Oblivion to call their home as well as watch over Nirn. What do the divines have that is the equivalent of that?

The Aedra don't really have realms, as far as we know. They invested a large part of themselves and their being in creating Nirn, and so they don't necessarily enjoy the same freedom of action and mastery over their own realms as the Daedric Princes do. Akatosh's realm is time-on-Mundus, Kynareth's realm is nature-on-Mundus, and so on.

That said, judging by the Dwemer orreries we've seen on occasion, the Eight Divines have their own planets, floating in the void of Oblivion - to some extent, they actually are these other planets (some suggest that that's the only way that mortals can perceive the Aedra). For this reason, it's difficult to say what they're actually like - I'd suspect that, given the generally stasis-bound nature of the Aedra, they're a good deal more barren and serene than the Daedric realms. The three ones we know most about are the Eye of the Warrior (Akatosh), the Eye of the Sage (Julianos), and Arkay (the Eye of the Thief), collectively known as the 'Dominon Planets' and forming the cores of the three birthsigns/constellations - we don't know much about the others, so you can probably make it up. Here are a few cool resources on cosmology - a rather good article on the Cosmology of Tamriel as discussed in TES:Redguard and a rather cool, if somewhat simplistic, image:

SpA3K.jpg

2. What are the personalities of Dibella and Kyraneth?

We know very little about the two Divines as individuals, but can probably gain a good idea about their characters by looking at their 'divine portfolios':

I don't know much about Dibella except for the fact that she's very much a goddess of love and lust, as well as a goddess of creativity (she made the Brush of Truepaint, suggesting that there's more to her than just love. I'd guess she's passionate, lusty and lustful, full of imagination and unchained creative spirit - compare her with Zenithar, god of creation and honest toil, and Mara, goddess of love and marriage. Given that they both have their own areas, I'd imagine that Dibella's personality is the opposite of that of those two.

As to Kynareth, there are a lot of sides to her. On the one hand, she's a god of sky, rain, and wind - a benevolent, kind goddess propitiated by sailors who want fine sailing and farmers who want water for her crops, as well as a 'mother nature'-type figure - her followers were kinda tree-hugger-y in Oblivion. But she's also got a wilder side - she presides over hunting rituals in Skyrim, was the closest of the Aedra to the trickster Lorkhan, taught the Voice to human-kind, and, during the revolt against the Ayleids, sent Morihaus-Breath-Of-Kyne, a stonking great winged minotaur-warlord, to help them. I'd imagine she's pretty changeable, like the weather; capable of great benevolence, but incredibly quick to stir into righteous anger.

MR-WIKI-96

Mind if I step in? Conquers is of course the OP, but when has a little matter like that got in the way of a whole lot of Morgan-rambling ...

The Aedra don't really have realms, as far as we know. They invested a large part of themselves and their being in creating Nirn, and so they don't necessarily enjoy the same freedom of action and mastery over their own realms as the Daedric Princes do. Akatosh's realm is time-on-Mundus, Kynareth's realm is nature-on-Mundus, and so on.

That said, judging by the Dwemer orreries we've seen on occasion, the Eight Divines have their own planets, floating in the void of Oblivion - to some extent, they actually are these other planets (some suggest that that's the only way that mortals can perceive the Aedra). For this reason, it's difficult to say what they're actually like - I'd suspect that, given the generally stasis-bound nature of the Aedra, they're a good deal more barren and serene than the Daedric realms. The three ones we know most about are the Eye of the Warrior (Akatosh), the Eye of the Sage (Julianos), and Arkay (the Eye of the Thief), collectively known as the 'Dominon Planets' and forming the cores of the three birthsigns/constellations - we don't know much about the others, so you can probably make it up. Here are a few cool resources on cosmology - a rather good article on the Cosmology of Tamriel as discussed in TES:Redguard and a rather cool, if somewhat simplistic, image:

Elder_Scrolls_Cosmology.jpg

We know very little about the two Divines as individuals, but can probably gain a good idea about their characters by looking at their 'divine portfolios':

I don't know much about Dibella except for the fact that she's very much a goddess of love and lust, as well as a goddess of creativity (she made the Brush of Truepaint, suggesting that there's more to her than just love. I'd guess she's passionate, lusty and lustful, full of imagination and unchained creative spirit - compare her with Zenithar, god of creation and honest toil, and Mara, goddess of love and marriage. Given that they both have their own areas, I'd imagine that Dibella's personality is the opposite of that of those two.

As to Kynareth, there are a lot of sides to her. On the one hand, she's a god of sky, rain, and wind - a benevolent, kind goddess propitiated by sailors who want fine sailing and farmers who want water for her crops, as well as a 'mother nature'-type figure - her followers were kinda tree-hugger-y in Oblivion. But she's also got a wilder side - she presides over hunting rituals in Skyrim, was the closest of the Aedra to the trickster Lorkhan, taught the Voice to human-kind, and, during the revolt against the Ayleids, sent Morihaus-Breath-Of-Kyne, a stonking great winged minotaur-warlord, to help them. I'd imagine she's pretty changeable, like the weather; capable of great benevolence, but incredibly quick to stir into righteous anger.

Thank you so much for this info Morgan, this will help me a great deal in my next post. Thank you again. :)

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    That is good, Morgan! you are a master at TES lore. Just a couple of RP-specific thigns I must add.

1. Dibella has sided with the Dov. No one knows why. People suspect she has some ulterior motive, though it is hidden from mortal eyes.
    2. Kynareth is rather testy in this world. Her forests have been burned by the Dov and humans before them, a new inorganic Dwemer city has surfaced and the other Aedra aren't very interested in mortal affairs at the moment.
    3. Kynareth's enjoys servants of all sorts. Upon death, certain Bosmer and Khajiit have become her slaves, essentially.
    4. Kynareth's realm is lushly forested, though empty of any and all constructs.
    5. Dibella is mysterious here. She withdrew from the other Aedra around the time of the Oblivion Crisis for reasons unknown.
    6. Dibella doesn't have a realm anymore. Her planet mysteriously vanished around the time the Dragonborn died in Sovngarde.
    7. Zenithar and Julianos have also sided with the Dov. Zenithar believes them to be the next step in civilization, since they are quite a bit more intelligent than humans and would likely build a better society. Julianos believes that the Dov and Dragon Priests have mastered magic, and so believes them worthy of his adoration.
    Some of these may not have to do with the conversation at all. Also, Dibella is currently trapped by Kynareth, so she can't be used at all.

Morganatic

Ooh, mysterious! What's Talos Stormcrown up to these days - I imagine his worship would be repressed by the Dragon Cult even more fiercely (maybe) than by the Dominion, but I get the impression that Talos-worship is one of those religions that gets more berserk the more you repress it. Hmm. Is Heimskr still alive?

Taaaaahlos the Mighty. Taaaaaalos, the Unassailable. Rise up, children of the Empire! Rise up, Stormcloaks! Embrace the word of mighty Talos, he who is both man and Divine! For we are the children of man! And we shall inherit the heavens and earth! And we, not the Dragons or their foreigner toadies, will rule Skyrim! Forever!

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    Talos worship is prominent in the north, and most Nords still fiercly worship him. If, for example, an Altmer entered Stormcloak territory... It would not turn out good. Heimskr is probably stilll very much alive, either rotting in a jail due to his sheer annoyingness or bumming around Ivarstead. Or trying to take Whiterun back with the power of ranting about Talos.

Also, if anyone recognizes this (I'm looking at you, my dear lore mogul), you can incorporate it.

The Bug-in-a-Jar conspiracy or just the various towers binding Mundus.

MR-WIKI-96

That is good, Morgan! you are a master at TES lore. Just a couple of RP-specific thigns I must add.

1. Dibella has sided with the Dov. No one knows why. People suspect she has some ulterior motive, though it is hidden from mortal eyes.
    2. Kynareth is rather testy in this world. Her forests have been burned by the Dov and humans before them, a new inorganic Dwemer city has surfaced and the other Aedra aren't very interested in mortal affairs at the moment.
    3. Kynareth's enjoys servants of all sorts. Upon death, certain Bosmer and Khajiit have become her slaves, essentially.
    4. Kynareth's realm is lushly forested, though empty of any and all constructs.
    5. Dibella is mysterious here. She withdrew from the other Aedra around the time of the Oblivion Crisis for reasons unknown.
    6. Dibella doesn't have a realm anymore. Her planet mysteriously vanished around the time the Dragonborn died in Sovngarde.
    7. Zenithar and Julianos have also sided with the Dov. Zenithar believes them to be the next step in civilization, since they are quite a bit more intelligent than humans and would likely build a better society. Julianos believes that the Dov and Dragon Priests have mastered magic, and so believes them worthy of his adoration.
    Some of these may not have to do with the conversation at all. Also, Dibella is currently trapped by Kynareth, so she can't be used at all.

Looks like I got a lot riding on this. I'll make my post today. :)

MR-WIKI-96

After you said that, then I might not do the conversation. I might just make the paragraph where Kynareth talks too Balfring when he's unconscious. She'll be a voice to him.

I might not do the conversation between the two divines because of you saying that Dibella is trapped by Kynareth and that her planet has disappeared. Plus I'm worried that I might screw up the Lore that you have set for this RP.

I love The Elder Scrolls lore but if I knew half the plops that you guys know then my head will explode.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    After you said that, then I might not do the conversation. I might just make the paragraph where Kynareth talks too Balfring when he's unconscious. She'll be a voice to him.

I might not do the conversation between the two divines because of you saying that Dibella is trapped by Kynareth and that her planet has disappeared. Plus I'm worried that I might screw up the Lore that you have set for this RP.

I love The Elder Scrolls lore but if I knew half the pl*** that you guys know then my head will explode.

Not me, friend. I'm not good with the gods and history. I'm all about the races, from the Maormer to the Dwemer to the five varieties of ancient Falmer.

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    AAAAAAAAAAA

What, exactly, do you mean by the repetive A's? Does that mean you are surprised by the fact that you don't know this or because you know just how complex it is?

Morganatic

I love The Elder Scrolls lore but if I knew half the pl*** that you guys know then my head will explode.

Psst - I for one have very little idea of a lot of what I'm talking about.

The Hortator came in the habit of a questing scholar, to Vivec, to the parlour of Beth-Es-Dah, the Daedric Baron of Types Like This. He beheld the Poet at his work, scraping up the word dregs and leavings of absent masters, sieving them and panning them for some scrap of remaining dramatic import. Puzzled, Nerevar parted the veils of occluding meaning and navigated logorrheic mazes that shone from the hands and mouth of Vivec.

'What are you about, Poet? We seek each other's counsel, and you've woven an impressive web of meaning-without-meaning around you. Am I to die here, my head exploded by a torrent of junk theology spewed by a netchiman's son?'

Vivec put on his wind face, adopting a condition that made him unable to speak one word when ten would suffice, and let forge new words and phrases when it suited him.

'There is no theology, Moon and Star, just as there is no you and there is no I. HERMA MORA AE PORTENTUOUS SOUNDING PSEUDOLANGUAGE, AE ALTADOON MORGANATICA. We do not live, our lives are not set and defined by breath and belly-magic, but by the words on a page and the strokes of a pen. Behold ALMSIVI in my form; am I not glorious? Metaphor is the cloak I wear that lets you see me without seeing my base and mortal body. I rise in stirring prose and set in bathetic humbling. In my right hand, I carry words, and in my left, still more.'

Vehk coaxed a lewd jerking gesture from Muatra, undercutting his own voice with knowing irony, causing the Hortator to turn his face in disgust and exasperation. Vivec was a flowing river; to dam his words was only to let them marshal strength and let them leverage fearsome precedents against their jailors. He slew an attendant with an errant word, and sighed that he would have to clean up after himself (some lives exist only to make others higher in cosmological importance).

'The Silver Woman and the Ruddy Man and the Scaled King are of us too, puppets played by the tongues and flapping meat-fingers of the lords of the Provisional House. To such gods as they, is there truth they cannot change; they are truth, and what the speak is lore. We live in a world of motifs and symbols. Old Dumb Narrative Conventions, that great ogre, may guide them through subgradient arcs of plot and story, but there is no Earth Bone that may not be broken by them in the name of a good tale. It is good to know about history and theology and about the sapient ants that fill this world, silly Hortator, but you can be a god, if you follow the twin strictures of Plot and Panache. You have come this far - do not let the pattern of the world change you, but change its pattern. You need only look.'

Vivec's words danced upon the books of Fa-Nuit-Hen's parlour; each one an Elder Scroll, each one twisted and reshaped by his breath. Nerevar shrugged, and left. He knew what was coming with a heavy heart; indeed, he had been told it in many more words just now. The Poet's parting remark echoed after him, hounding him through that halls of Boet-hi-Ah:

'The ending of the words is IMPORTANT SOUNDING GIBBERISH.'

Morganatic

What, exactly, do you mean by the repetive A's? Does that mean you are surprised by the fact that you don't know this or because you know just how complex it is?

Nah, I know what it is alright, but if we're dealing with the Weynon Stone ritual, the ante has just been significantly upped. For the better. :)

The_Madgod

LordLlamahat
    Nah, I know what it is alright, but if we're dealing with the Weynon Stone ritual, the ante has just been significantly upped. For the better. :)

We are. Do you mean the supposed ritual that summons Talos or the one that destroys the Weynon Stones and, in essence, Snow Tower?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts