• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Vidarr

Ok, so maybe I'm missing something, but is it not bizarre that The Beast Stone gives you the ability to summon a werebear?

It was my solid understanding that the Skaal (and thus, the All-Maker) had serious issues with the whole lycanthropy thing - in part at least due to the fact that it is essentially a mockery of nature constructed by Hircine.

It's just making no sense to me.
I'm more inclined - judging from the story of Aevar Stone-Singer - to imagine it allowing you to summon some sort of bear (perhaps a unique version) --- such as the 'good beast' mentioned in the story relating to The Beast Stone.
ie, not a WEREbear.

If anyone can enlighten me on anything I'm missing (like for instance, the Skaal suddenly having no problem with lycanthropes...o_O), I would very much appreciate it.

Adam Warlock

"The All-Maker is the creator of all things.." , says Storn Crag-Rider.
Thus Hircine himself is a creation of the All-Maker according to Skaal belief and Werebears(both good and bad) ultimately trace their origins to the All-Maker.

The cleansing of the Beast Stone results in a Werebear who protects(like the Good Beast) rather than one who mindlessly destroys , so I don`t see how Skaal belief can have much of a problem with that.

The "Beasts" must be considered an integral part of the natural order if the All-Maker Stones are considered to "maintain the Oneness throughout the land"

Vidarr

Thanks for the response. You make some interesting points.
That being said, it is still suggested that lycanthropes - regardless of origin - represent an abomination of nature (in other words, an affront to the natural domain of the All-Maker that the Skaal worship).
I mean, the entire plot of Bloodmoon is based around the Skaal's adversity to Hircine and his creations.

It is however interesting how you point out that the Werebear of the Beast Stone "protects rather than one who destroys". This does frame things in a slightly different perspective.

HOWEVER, if we follow that path of logic, does that mean that the Skaal would have absolutely no problem with - say - the Companions being werewolves? (considering they can - to whatever extent - control their transformations and motives)?

Also, even if Hircine was technically a creation of the All-Maker - no matter how intentional -, that doesn't necessarily mean that Hircine's creations should be included under the All-Maker's domain.

For instance, one who worships Akatosh should by no means worship his 'first-born' --- Alduin the World-Eater.

Adam Warlock

Would it help if I reveal that when a Frost Troll attacked the Skaal village , I conjured a Werebear who fought side-by-side with the natives and stood peacefully amongst them after victory was won?

Frankly , I don`t blame them for opposing the "corrupted" or being frightened of lycanthropes .
As a werewolf myself , I was inclined toward a live-and-let-live policy regarding the Frostmoon Crag pack until I noticed the human remains scattered about their lair. They all be dead now.

Adam Warlock

The battle at the Skaal village was quite the episode for this Skaal-Friend.

I had earlier noticed the random incursions of that Frost Troll and the apparent lack of bows among the villagers(excepting Frea).
So I dropped a few Dragonbone Bows and arrows on the ground and when the Troll finally returned during one of my visits , the Skaal picked them all up like children snatching candy at a Halloween parade.
Woe to any who think this peaceful town is an easy target now !

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Would it help if I reveal that when a Frost Troll attacked the Skaal village , I conjured a Werebear who fought side-by-side with the natives and stood peacefully amongst them after victory was won?

Frankly , I don`t blame them for opposing the "corrupted" or being frightened of lycanthropes .
As a werewolf myself , I was inclined toward a live-and-let-live policy regarding the Frostmoon Crag pack until I noticed the human remains scattered about their lair. They all be dead now.
But I like eating humans! As a were, I eat all the hearts I can get my hands on and as a vamp I like to drain 'em dry! Defend yourselves puny humans! I have the power to EAT you!

Vidarr

Adam Warlock:
Awesome story man! I love experiences like that.

I've started to wonder if Bethesda's whole decision to remove most of the 'curse' aspect from lycanthropy (as in, unless you are wearing Hircine's cursed ring, you can transform entirely at will and are not victim to your 'urges') has essentially retconned the Skaal's opinion on lycanthropy - like suddenly it's just not a big deal anymore...

The thing is that there is already a certain degree of contradiction in the game. You hear certain Were-characters talking about the 'call of the blood' (Vilkas) or Sindings lack of restraint even when no longer in possession of Hircine's cursed ring.

It's kind of like they can't make up their mind on where they stand regarding lycanthropy.
As Dragonborn, you never feel any 'need' to use your beast form, other than "hey, it would be cool to take on this fight as a werewolf".

Personally, I think they should have stuck with Bloodmoon's far more extreme representation of sanies lupinus (if I'm remembering that name correctly).
As a result, this would mean that you wouldn't necessarily have to get rail-roaded into lycanthropy during the Companions questline (woah... branching questlines... hold on a minute. It's not like we did anything like that in Bloodmoon the better part of a decade ago...)

Adam Warlock

For the record , I hate fighting werebears and now avoid the areas where they hunt.
They close distance as rapidly as any foe I`ve encountered , relentlessly attacking as a group.
Incredible damage output if you are playing on Legendary difficultly as I am.
They can also rag-doll you no matter how high your level.

I tried a conjured Werebear against a group of 3 feral ones I ran into and my Good Beast was down in less than 10 seconds.

Now if they carried better loot than Ragged Trousers or guarded a boss treasure chest , that would be a different matter !

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts