Open The Bannered Mare -- Semi-advanced RP Thread

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

Wolfie

((The reason I'm saying semi-advanced is because I want more than the average one or two sentences with the worst grammar, spelling, and vocabulary that I've ever seen. No powerplaying, godmodding, you get the idea. And try not to have it only between two people, or to have too many people in the same area. Don't force plots -- let them slowly form as they should. So what I'm saying is, no cheesiness or meaningless insanity here please. Unless you're like that in real life, please try to be as realistic as Skyrim can allow. YOU ARE THE CHARACTER. It's the BEST POWER anyone could ever have, and YOU HAVE IT. Enjoy it and use it to a good end, please. You get the main rules. I'm not going to press anyone any more, except to add that I will warn you if I don't like something, and if you continue to anger me, you will be extinguished from this thread without any argument between anybody. Thank you. My character is in my signature. It took me a while to make it. I hope you all can relate.))
    A night at the Bannered Mare is never quiet. I knew it'd be like this, and yet look at myself. Upstairs in one of the rental rooms, Kohl Dale hesitated, sitting before a desk, quill with gleaming ink on it's tip hovering over a blank page of his journal.
    A runctous, drunken road rose. He sighed through his nose, annoyed, and dried the ink off the the quill tip, closing the journal.
    It worried at him how he appeared free as a target of the Dark Brotherhood. It was a trap, surely, to give him a false sense of security. The tanned Nord got to his feet, closing his eyes slightly.
    Someone was in a brawl. Why do people fight each other for money when they can deal with a hostile track of bandits instead? It achieves more. Better be dead then on the floor, beaten and helpless.
    He felt he could brawl with anyone, right now. The sound of bawdy laughter and jesting had gotten to a point that brought him to action. It was sometimes like this, but not all the time. Ever since the dragon sighting in the southwest part of Whiterun hold, those in the inn had become more daring, claiming outrageous victories that they had, and that they could individually lay waste to that dragon.
    Idiots. He did as well as he could to ignore the excited rabble. Let them dream.

Wolfie

((Of course! Just jump right in. Welcome! I'll check out your character(s) profiles when I find out which one(s) you're using.))

"Don't let that milk drinker get you down!" Kohl scowled at the excited noise of the rabble. Two people - he didn't care to further investigate - were circling each other. Drunk, perhaps, or infuriated over some open argument. About dragons, perhaps? Best to let the Whiterun Guard deal with this.
    And best for him to leave, now. It was dangerous to linger where rumors and tales are woven. He began towards the door, a hand on the strangely shaped, twisted steel sword at his side. It was been a gift from Vilkas - a specialized Skyforge Steel sword. He was proud of it, and of how often a simple touch of it would save his hide. Usually. Then again, he had not faced an assassin with it before. Who would come out victorious....a wardancer of silence and steel, or an assassin of stealth and poisons.
    But it wouldn't mean his death, perhaps. He would rather die here on his quest to fine his father than to be captured and towed back to High Rock.
    He shook his head slightly and gave the people a slight berth, glancing at Hilda and the other people at this tavern, seeing if he saw anyone watching, or an unfamiliar face.
    But before he did leave. He headed towards Saadia. She looked up from her cooking in the side room when he paused and glanced behind him again.
    "Anyone new?" he asked her. He knew she knew what he meant. She was the only one he had trusted, other than Vilkas, with his secret. She was very good at keeping secrets - both kept an eye out. It was tense, but fine.

LungDrac

Alana the Argonian
    ((There should be a link to my character's profile in my signature. I only have the one; that's her pictured in my avatar. I drew her myself!))

The front door creaked open, and a scaly muzzle poked through. It was Alana, looking for a place to rest from her journey throughout Skyrim. She found herself drawn to Whiterun, mainly because it was the first capital she'd ever been to since she entered the province. Not being a good adventurer, she stuck with what places she knew.

"Don't let that milk drinker get you down!"
    These magic words made Alana second guess coming inside, but after mustering up some courage she shuffled past the scuffle and made her way to Hulda to buy a room for the night.
    "Back from one of your adventures?" the she Nord asked. Alana had come to this inn many times before, and had made a casual friend out of Hulda.
    "Yes. Would you mind giving me a room for the night?" Alana replied, sliding some gold towards the innkeeper.
    "Sure. Have you found a spot for your inn yet?"
    "No, not yet. I keep thinking a spot near a river might be pretty, but you know drunks ... one of them is bound to stumble into it and drown." Alana clapped her hand to her face. Then, looking back at the brawl, her eye caught on Khol moving into the other room. Guess I'll have to wait until I can cook something, she thought.

Wolfie

"Nobody yet. I'll send you a letter if there is. What of the Alik'r?" Saadia responded, eyes narrowed.
    "They don't know of you, and it will stay that way," Kohl assured her. Saadia nodded and gave him a slight smile. "Good luck on your quest, Kohl."
    "Thanks. Hopefully I won't need it." It was a small private joke between the two. Kohl turned and walked towards the entry door.
    He paused, hand on the handle. Somebody was watching him. He could feel it, sense the tingling tension between his shoulder blades. Hand twisting and tightening over the pommel of his sword, he scanned the area.
    The watcher was a lithe Argonian woman, at the bar, talkin with Hilde. Kohl had seen her around every now and then. She was garbed like an adventurer, and acted the same.
    He tilted his head slightly, curious and wary. Brushing the hilt of his sword and sweeping his eyes past her, he opened the door and stepped out. He would stay in Jorvaskr for the night.
    Was she an enemy? It hardly seemed so. Still, it wouldn't hurt to keep an extra eye out. He headed towards the home of the Companions, hand more relaxed and his gait tense and slightly haunted, albeit straight and assured. The dusk-night had made Whiterun quiet, except for the guards.

LungDrac

Alana the Argonian
    "Good luck on your quest, Khol."

A quest? Alana thought. That does sound like fun. I could use a break from trying to find some property. But would he let me come with him?

The Argonian held her breath as soon as Khol's eyes swept over her. Knowing from experience that many a warrior-type men hate being disturbed, she adverted her gaze and waited for him to pass through the door. Shortly after he went, Alana tiptoed to the door and watched him go. The cool night air brushed against her nose, a sharp contrast to the warmth of the fire in the inn. Making sure she wasn't emulating a threatening posture, she approached the wary warrior.

"... Um ... I don't mean to pry, but ... you said something about a quest back in the inn, didn't you?"

Wolfie

Kohl paused again and turned to look at her. "Were you eavesdropping?" he countered. What else had she heard? His eyes narrowed slightly, but not enough to appear threatening.
    "I did," he admitted. "More of a quest for knowledge. No dungeons or loot or the such." He didn't explain what it was all about. Who knew how fast word could get out? And who was this stranger?

LungDrac

Alana the Argonian
    ((Whoops. I've gotten Hilda and Kohl's name wrong several times, haven't I? XP ))

Alana gulped. "Admittedly, yes. But not on purpose, I assure you. To be honest, I was going to do some cooking for the inn and then tuck in for the night. I'm not known in these parts as an eavesdropper," she said, but then regretted the last part. She doubted it would help, even if warrior cared for another's reputation.

Upon hearing Kohl's quest wasn't of the dungeon variety, the Argonian perked up. "Oh, well ... I came out here to ask if you would like a follower to assist you on your quest? I promise I won't get in the way," she pleaded. She knew she sounded desperate, but she was determined to pair up with someone as a team for adventure. Ever since she had came to Skyrim, heaps of adventurers and warriors alike all turned down her help as support.

Wolfie

((You did? I hardly even noticed, lol.))

As Kohl planned to do. The idea of a companion was tempting, but also disastrous. He's have to be constantly wary and alert, careful of every move and word. And ... he would have to reveal his past, something he had never done.
    "I don't need aid," he said simply, with a haunted air, remembering the days when he thought for sure he would not live to see the sun again. He turned. It was brute, yes, but wasn't it necessary? Vilkas would agree, no doubt. But it was brute.

LungDrac

Alana the Argonian
    Disappointment seeped through Alana's soul, and her tail hung listlessly to the ground. "Not...not even to cook your meals and heal you along the way?" her shoulders slumped as he turned away. As a newcomer, Alana was inexperienced and weak; there was not a whole lot she could offer to this strong warrior. Unless...

An idea popped in her head. "Well ... if you won't let me assist you ... might I at least carry some of the material burdens you hold? Surely you long to have some of your heavier possessions with you on the road?"

Wolfie

Well, wasn't she desperate for some kind of adventure. Kohl paused again and then finally gave in. "Alright," he said, glancing back at her slyly. "I suppose it wouldn't hurt."

LungDrac

Alana the Argonian
    Alana nearly jumped for joy. "You mean it? Oh, thank you, thank you!" she extended her arms, waiting for all sorts of trinkets and junk to be loaded onto them. "If you give me salts, raw food ingredients and a pot, I can cook them. But first, are there any places you're going to take me that won't allow me in? If so, I can wait in a designated spot. And ... I don't think I caught your name?"

Though she knew it was possible that Kohl would only use her as a pack mule, Alana was thrilled. Having a travel partner was an adventure in of itself.

Wolfie

Since he had come of age, Kohl had dressed for survival - apples, wrapped salted meats, and an extra dagger. It was all in the knapsack around his shoulder. It was light but still had a healthy weight to it. He gingerly handed it to the woman. "Kohl Dale," he introduced. "I was going to stay in Jorrvaskr for the night. I'm sure Vilkas will have no problem with you, as soon as I explain. You can sleep in one of the unchosen beds in the ladies' chamber if you'd like. I'll be nearby. ...is that alright?" And then he and Vilkas would excuse themselves, for their general chat up at the Skyforge. "There's food there, too, and mead," he added.

LungDrac

Alana the Argonian
    Alana nodded vigorously, a smile shining brightly on her scaly face. "Yes, that's perfect!" she exclaimed. "I'm Alana, by the way. Tell me when you get hungry, and I'll cook for you, and I'll share some of the profits I make from selling my own items, too."

The Argonian took the knapsack in her hands and slung it over her shoulder along with hers. "So, you're one of the Companions? What's it like in there?" she asked curiously. Alana had only ever seen the outside of Jorrvaskr, and caught glimpses of the Companions and their honorable deeds, and so much like a cat, she simply had to know more at the expense of being annoying.

Wolfie

"I'm not actually a full member of the Companions," he said offhandedly. "I met Vilkas while I was hunting. His bear managed to ruin my dinner, but ever since he's been a honorable ally." He began up the stairs to the park, glancing up at the looming, hunchbacked Gildergreen tree.

LungDrac

Alana the Argonian
    "Oh, I see," said Alana. She opened her mouth to ask another question, but decided against it. She figured Kohl wasn't the type that liked talking much.

While they walked along to Jorrvaskr, Alana timidly watched the warrior as she trailed behind. He might have not been a full Companion, but he certainly looked the part. What if this Vilkas won't allow me to stay? I mean, I could always go back to the Bannered Mare, but ... would Kohl forget I'm with him?

Wolfie

Alana had finally fallen silent behind him. He almost glanced back at her, but he didn't. He walked up to the entry doors of Jorrvaskr. The silence was deafening and he enjoyed the short span of quiet he had before entering chaos once more. No doubt Alana had multitudes of questions. He had no doubt that she was NOT his enemy - but his enemy may still eavesdrop a every step they take, waiting ... planning ... watching. His gait was smooth and he had a confident back ... Yet he held a slightly tense air, as if waiting for the world to turn upside down.
    He opened the door and stepped inside, holding it open for Alana. "After you," he said politely, not unlike him at all. The dinner table was mostly abandoned at the moment, for the Companions had already eaten their dinner and drank their mead. Their old serving-woman was cleaning up the dishes and tankards as he noticed this.
    "Welcome to Jorrvaskr," he introduced, glancing back at Alana. "Most of everybody except for Aela, Skjor, and Ria will be downstairs in the living quarters. It's quite a nice place," he admitted, remembering his own childhood home. "Normally, women would go in separate quarters, while the Harbinger has his own living quarters. But since you're new here and will only be here for a night, you could stay in the same room with me, Vilkas, and Farkas. Skjor prefers solitude so you probably won't be seeing him around, unless he wants you to." He glanced back at her again, at the bottom of the stairs. He opened the door to thriving quarters for her.

LungDrac

Alana the Argonian
    Enthralled, Alana walked into the hall on Kohl's invite. Since she had grown up in a small house, Jorrvaskr seemed giant and grand to her, with a warm, brotherly atmosphere quite different from where she came from.

"Really? I can?" Alana asked. "I would have thought you were the type to prefer privacy, but I suppose I could stick around if you don't mind me." she paused and glanced around the room. Something was different about this place ... the smell of food and mead was welcoming to her, but there was something else in the air that didn't have an odour. She couldn't quite put her finger on it, but it felt like she knew what it was. It unnerved her a bit, and her brows furrowed in thought trying to put a name to it.

Wolfie

She did look a slight disturbed, past the obvious grande of the place. "Of course." A man - tall, muscular, and with bright steel-like silver irises and black warpait arisen with his eyes, and long black hair - appeared out of a side room and approached.
    Vilkas stopped in front of them and gave Kohl a brief examination. "Who's this?" he asked him.
    "Vilkas, this is Alana, my new ... companion. Alana, this is Vilkas."
    Vilkas looked curiously at Alana and gave her a slightly effortful smile. Like his brother, Farkas, he was not known for smiling often.
    "Is it alright if she stays in the room with us?" Kohl pressed on.
    Vilkas looked at him, a sharp glint in his eyes that slowly softened. "Sure she can." He looked at Alana. "Down the hall, second door on the left. It's the room on the left side. Just pick a bed and sleep in it when you get tired. You'll be fine if Kohl and I step out for a chat?" Kohl glanced at Alana, a shifted look in his eyes that said 'he's edgy, I'm sorry'.

Wolfie

*warpaint, not warpait

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts