The Art of Skyrim - Part I

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Train

Is that all you got?!
I've observed many things in Skyrim, for example, in nearly every direction you look, it's a picture perfect scene. The design of great games makes you want to play them more due to certain elements: sound, feel/aesthetics, gameplay, story, scenery, camera movement, camera placement, even down to the accomplishment one gets during play, to the struggle of fighting that one enemy that you're so close to beating. When you finally do, it cycles back to add to accomplishment through that struggle. I shall only address the camera placement/scenery and sound in this article.

Scenery/camera:
Skyrim is unique, this is the first sand box RPG game I've ever played that takes every camera angle into consideration. This is mostly because its hand sculpted by artists that put a lot of thought into the scenery rather than letting it be too computer generated. Notice when looking out over the landscape, distant mountains, nearby trees, and even the character (when in 3rd person) fits into the shot just perfectly.

In every picture an artist draws, there's a grid that they fit things into, the grid is like a tic-tac-toe box, but using the intersecting lines rather than the empty squares. Objects that go into the picture or shot must either be on the left, right, top or bottom depending on their distance, importance and what part they play in telling the picture's story (yes, even a still picture tells a story). This grid is something every artist lays over their image either physically or just using their eye to do so.

Objects need only be approximate; it depends on the picture itself where things go ultimately.
Every direction you look in Skyrim (just about) you can see that objects fit into the grid almost perfectly, there's nearby objects (trees, rocks, etc.) that anchor the scene relative to the viewer, these are foreground. Then there's middle ground objects that are usually staging the main activity in the shot (i.e. what you're really looking at) which also anchors the image as a whole, then background objects (distant mountains or even just sky for example) that give depth. All games have foreground, middle and background; very few have any of these lining up so precisely.

Note: Interior scenes generally have only foreground and background objects, in which case foreground becomes the primary element.

Now that you’re looking at Whiterun, notice the lines. This is nearly impossible to describe, so I have to use a picture. A real artist would have me executed for drawing something this bad, the grid is perfect, but the other lines might be way off. They'd also be excited that I even know about this stuff at all:

ScreenShot2.jpg

Notice the elements lining up on the grid? Also realize that I didn’t have to even try to make things fit this well, and I could show you literally thousands upon thousands of pics like these that are perfect all over Skyrim. Markarth might be my favorite, every which way I turn in the Reach I see stuff like this. The white circles are to show the approximate distance certain objects should be from these areas, known as the Rule of Thirds. Dragonsreach, the tree, the road and the brush could hardly be placed better, this is good enough to frame; well, except for the lines I’ve drawn all over it.

Note: Dragonsreach is perfect, my mind is blown away by this. Remember, I wasn't trying hard at all to line this up, but somehow its dead center where it should be.

The blue line is indicating a loop that I noticed while studying the picture, it starts near the bottom left and travels to the right, then goes up to the city and back around. Your eye is automatically drawn to do this loop. The white squiggly line is indicating another path the human eye takes when looking at this picture. It starts at the very top of the city just past Dragonsreach and travels down near the stables until being caught by the mountains in the background (the tree is actually part of what’s doing this). I see a picture similar to this every ten seconds while playing Skyrim…and yes, in my head, the grid lines are there, if you must know.

I'm sure there's probably more going on with this picture than I've seen so far, but these are the main points.

Sound:
Sound is the unsung hero of any video game, the music, the effects, the birds chirping, the water gurgling, the footsteps, the voice actors, the foley artists that bring you sounds that are practically impossible to get from real life. Every tiny, little, seemingly inconsequential sound that you hear, and some you don't even realize are there, are really what makes it come to life.

Mark Lampert is the genius that put together much of the sounds you hear in Skyrim, and though he's done stuff for other games as well, I think this is his masterpiece. He even talked about how he recorded himself banging on a dryer at home, didn't use the sound for the longest time but had it in his library. Then at some point needed a sound like that, so he grabbed his dryer sound and plugged it in. You have to be either genius or crazy to do that: "dude, your dryer's in a game set in a fantasy realm with Elves and extinct Dwarves"...and I think I know where he used it, my guess is in one of those Dwemer ruins.

I was working on a project myself some time ago, and I needed a gunshot sound for something. I listened to about ten different gunshots that I found, but none of them had the bang I wanted…so I put five of them all together. Let’s just say that now it has the bang I was looking for. I had to line each one up in the editor, play the whole sound, then adjust each one to make it fit properly. A couple tracks had an echo effect on it like it was recorded outside, some were just dry and short like it was done inside a building. However, stacked on top of each other perfectly with the volume levels turned up or down accordingly, and it sounded beautiful. The level of care I took isn’t even par for the course in a serious studio though, if I had given that to Mark Lampert he’d have told me to go look for another job, but to the average listener it would be mind-blowing.

Studios don’t play around with sound, its serious business, and it’s designed so that we don’t even know how good it is. If it wasn’t that good, then you’d know something was wrong, but when it is good it’s the last thing you think about. Such is the way of sound engineers, they do so much, but nobody notices unless they don’t do enough. That actually applies to many different forms of art, but sound gets the worst of it. Something you can see you either say you like it or you don’t, something you can’t see just goes to our subconscious unless it’s done poorly. The sounds of Skyrim are magnificent, but how many have stopped to just pay attention to one of them, even if it’s just a song? Much less the crackling of thunder or the splish-splash while walking through some water.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 6,289

Train

Is that all you got?!
Yep, just started writing some stuff for Part 2. Glad you like it!

ShadowMage

Article Writer
Nice job. It takes plenty of skill to write this good.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Skyrim's score is one of my favorite things about it. The music is absolutely beautiful, and grand enough for an epic film—forget a video game! I also enjoy the sound effects within the game. I can't cross a river without jumping in it a few times to hear that satisfying "Ploop!" sound, and whenever it rains, I stop and listen carefully for the raindrops hitting the ground. As gorgeous as the game looks, I think it sounds even better.

ShadowMage

Article Writer
I agree with you, imagine. I even do the same thing as you. Skyrim is beautiful even without the mods the PC users use.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Thatnks, everybody! Skyrim does sound better than it looks, but both sound and visuals go hand in hand. Part of the reason it sounds so good is because it looks good and vice versa, something I probably should have mentioned in the article. It's one of the reasons I decided to put them together in part 1. ;)

Oren74

While I agree 100% that Skyrim is the most visually amazing game I've ever played... but I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to the visuals.

In the picture, it looks like if you just strafed a little to the left or right, your grids would be all messed up...?

Also, how is taking a picture out in the open in Skyrim any different than if I took a real life picture of a road close to me, some bushes across the streat, and a skyscraper on the horizon?

Train

Is that all you got?!
While I agree 100% that Skyrim is the most visually amazing game I've ever played... but I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to the visuals.

In the picture, it looks like if you just strafed a little to the left or right, your grids would be all messed up...?

Also, how is taking a picture out in the open in Skyrim any different than if I took a real life picture of a road close to me, some bushes across the streat, and a skyscraper on the horizon?

Believe it or not I've been waiting for someone to ask me that. :DI'm so happy. Probably should have put this in the article as well, but it's so freakin' hard to discribe and I would have been droning on while going way off the topic of Skyrim. However, I'll try my best...

The thing that's amazing is that something like this is extremely difficult to replicate, especially in real life. One of the reasons I chose this shot is because it's the first time I noticed it happening after about an hour or two of gameplay. If I swung the camera to the right or left I could show two or three more instances where it occured.

This is almost impossible to get in real life because generally real life is far too cluttered. Sure, you might be able to get a shot that's good, and many would consider it art, but the way the mind works is a lot different than the way most people think it does. I must first explain that less is more, when done properly. Our brains are looking for certain things in art: color, direction, and yes, simplicity (while still conveying the message and telling the story).

The best artists are ones that can replicate a scene. Abstract and impressionist art, while still considered art, are no where near as hard as drawing a picture that looks almost real (it doesn't look real because in actuality it's better than real). I'm not talking so much about surrealistic, though there's many such pictures that fit what I'm describing, but even that style is too broad. There's only a small handful of people that have ever been able to do what I'm talking about.

Less is more, when done properly. If I could somehow download what I'm trying to say into your head, this would be a lot easier. It's something that's come from several years of studying, and only in the last year or so I finally understood myself, so there's no way to truly describe it, it must be learned. I can't draw if my life depended on it, but I needed to understand for a job I used to have, and since then it's fascinated me. Maybe because I can't do it.

True, if the camera was moved left or right, it would through off the Dragonsreach...but the tree and Whiterun would still make the picture work. In a video game, obtaining something like this even once requires a level of skill and attention to detail that would boggle the mind...Skyrim does this every ten feet...I don't know how, and I'm still studying it, this article is part of that study.

Okay, there's more to discuss here, but now that I've written a second article in the comments I think it's time to review and see if I'm making sense so far. I'm not sure if this comment is too long or what, but on this subject I could write a book...

Train

Is that all you got?!
Oren74, look up Darrel Tank. While his style is too realistic almost, I'd say he's the greatest artist ever to have graced the earth. I'd value his work to be priceless, literally...but maybe in the range 7 or 8 billion...:D

It's a shame people value stuff like this:

Top 10: World's Most Expensive Paintings

"I'm a drinkin' man myself, but I've never been that hammered."
-Crocodile Dundee

Train

Is that all you got?!
Thanks, Oren. Just let me know if anyone has any questions, more than happy to disuss it, this kinda' stuff has become a hobby of mine.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Respectfully, Train, to my eyes you’re talking about technique, not art. But I don't want a "What is Art " meaningless discussion!
It really is a very subjective, idiosyncratic and cultural thing.

I do believe the trick in Skyrim, apart from just amazing design, is the use of exaggerated perspective. Everything looks farther away than it actually is. And, also because you are running most of the time, and faster than IRL, when you actually move, the scenery and the parallax move faster and deeper than in the real world, so it sucks you in.
The aesthetic frame proportions you’re talking about are for composing good static images like photos, not 3d environments.

Anyway, I'm discussing rather subjective stuff here.

Train

Is that all you got?!
Ah, Skullrattla, yes, I am talking about technique, but art is achieved through this. There's a science to art, I'm not talking about those that splatter their feces on a canvas and call it art :D, I'm talking about the true artists that possess skill.

Art is not talent, it's skill, anyone can learn how to create art through technique, but they first must be willing to do so. Which I am not, it's very hard, and I should have started earlier in life if I wanted to do so.

You are correct, this is more for obtaining still images, however, if one merely stops the camera, a still image appears. What I'm talking about is how there are so many picture perfect stills that come to life all over Skyrim. I've never seen this before, and it's rather shocking to have a 3D enviroment also produce still pictures that are good enought to frame.

It's subjective, but all part of it actually. The perspective on the camera is doing more than anyone realizes, I believes it's part of what's allowing this to be achieved in the first place, but I'd have to be able to play around with the camera used in Skyrim to find out.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts