terrible loading times (pc)?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

flamewolf393

Everything I have seen says that the pc version is supposed to have almost non-existent loading times, but for me it is terrible. Whenever I enter or exit a building or go through any new area door it takes a full 30 seconds, and when I fast travel it take an average of 2 full minutes. I seem to spend more time on loading screens then actually playing. This was especially annoying on the theives guild jobs where most of it was traveling around. Is this normal? And if not is there anything I can do about it? I fall well above the minimum system requirements, and meet all but one of the recommended requirements. I can play on medium graphics without major issues, and low graphics with no lag at all.

Spankle

Post your actual system setup. I run on high graphics and have extremely short load times. I can fast travel 2 days faster than i can "t" wait for one.

The main culprits for load times via hardware are your RAM and HD (rpm, memory buffering, access time etc)

mask2697

Everything I have seen says that the pc version is supposed to have almost non-existent loading times, but for me it is terrible. Whenever I enter or exit a building or go through any new area door it takes a full 30 seconds, and when I fast travel it take an average of 2 full minutes. I seem to spend more time on loading screens then actually playing. This was especially annoying on the theives guild jobs where most of it was traveling around. Is this normal? And if not is there anything I can do about it? I fall well above the minimum system requirements, and meet all but one of the recommended requirements. I can play on medium graphics without major issues, and low graphics with no lag at all.

mask2697

edit: sorry, just joined and the bar wasn't loaded in, I had a issue with the load times on PS3 also, so I suspect it may be in part a programming bug (a broken or looping command probably) also First post!

flamewolf393

Post your actual system setup. I run on high graphics and have extremely short load times. I can fast travel 2 days faster than i can "t" wait for one.

The main culprits for load times via hardware are your RAM and HD (rpm, memory buffering, access time etc)

Windows vista
AMD Athlon 64 x2 (2.1 GHz)
ATI radeon HD 3200 graphics w/ 1408 MB memory
3 GB ram
320 GB HDD

How would the hard drive have anything to do with it? As long as I had room to install it, it shouldn't matter in actual gameplay right?

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Windows Vista, I feel sorry for you. Well your setup isn't exactly top of the line, but what is the rpms of your HDD? Also what frequency is your memory running at? It would be more helpful to post what brand/model of computer you have. Also you might want to check out skyrim nexus for improving graphics and stability. They have a mod that boasts allowing you to play on Ultra while gaining 10 FPS.

flamewolf393

I could have had a free upgrade to windows 7, but most of what I do is older games and everyone said that older games wont run on 7 so I kept vista and have regretted it ever since. My laptop is an acer aspire. As for the other two things, I have no idea what you are talking about. Isnt a hard drive just a hard drive?

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
No, hard drives operate at different search speeds. How fast your rpms are determines the speed at which data can be stored and retrieved.

Dolkar

I've got the very same problem and it's NOT an issue with HDD. I'm sure it's some kind of a bug.
I have a Corsair Force 3 SSD disc and 4 GB RAM. I'm capable to load sequenced data with speed of 300MB/s and accessing time of ~0.1ms, so WHY the HELL are the loading times that horribly slow?! It takes about two minutes to load the world when fast travelling, for example.

EDIT: Interestingly, when I run the game in windowed mode, it seems to load it faster... It's still slow though...

fortuacity

Before this last update my loading time were nearly nonexistent. But it seems that within the last two weeks it went from reading the loading screen as a challenge because it was so fast, to "let's see how many tips it get through before I can actually get back to the game." Went from maybe 5-10 second loading time to 1-2 minutes.

myhyay

i have 4 GB RAM intel core i5 and nvidia 450 gtx and skyrim worked perfectly and from today skyrim loading vert slow
another games like battlefield 3 on ultra settings still work perfectly ,only skyrim is like this

myhyay

i get on the task manager and WITHOUT skyrim runing i has 100% and i looked and first with 49% was TESV.exe *32 and the second TESV.exe *32 with 49% too and skyrim is not even runing

Slinter

I have the same problem. Every time i play, the loadings and savings get slower and slower. Even fast travel and entering doors loads get slower. Anyone knows something that can help fix this and restore the loading speed or there is no solution?

AluCard

This is really weird, I have an alienware m18x laptop with an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M and for the first month, skyrim was running perfectly. I was able to play on the highest settings with the highest of settings, now the loading times have changed from being almost non-existent to 2-3 minutes and now my game also shuts down with no warning or error messages afterwards, i have no idea what's wrong. i do have mods installed but none that change the textures...please help!

jake williams

hey guy's, i have recently bought a new pc
specs:
cpu: intel core i5 2500 k @3.6 Ghz
GPU: nvidia geforce gtx 550 ti 1gb
HDD: 500 gb S-ATA 6.0 g/bs 7,200 rpm
RAM: 8 gb corsair 1600 Mhz vengeance
when i bought skyrim for my pc i played it for couple of hours and the load time were great around 3-5 second load time on high-ultra settings, then i stped playing it and now i have come back to play it i am having to wait around 30 seconds for the first loading screen and when i want to fast travel it takes around 2-3 minuets to load. i don;t know if it is somthing to do with that i have loads of stuff on my HDD as i only have 100GB left or if it's a bug can some one help?

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Check the size of your saved games. They should be less than 10mb each.

If you haven't defragged your drive in a while you may also want to do that.

jake williams

my save if 5 mb and i defragged my hard drive this morning but the loading screens are still pritty long, do you think re-downloading skyrim will help?

Umm.... I'm running Skyrim and I have those 1-2.5 minute load times, but my saves are 48 mb each... ANy advice?? Running about 70 mods. My machine is not the problem: 3.4 ghz quad core with 12 gb DDR3 RAM with 1 gb of dedicated GDDR5... Running Skyrim off my SATA. Thanks! I would love to reduce that load size (oh and btw I've only had this cpu for a week now)

Latest posts