Tale of the Thalmor in Skyrim: A Walkthrough

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Note: This walkthrough will be in the form of a narrative, chronicling the adventures and mis-adventures of my High Elf account on Skyrim. The entries of this walkthrough will be in the form of a journal. This is meant to be entertaining, and informative (To the best of my ability). Please, enjoy:

Rules: Must Sleep at least 8 hours a day. No waiting allowed.
Fast travelling is a no-no
Death = severely wounded, and will result in actual death unless I get rest soon.
If caught committing a crime, must either go to jail or pay off bounty. No resisting arrest.
As this is a mage character, little to no armor will be worn. Therefor, I do not need to change upon entering town.

Background story:

Ellesar Helyanwe is a High Elf, and part of the Aldmeri Dominion. In fact, he is a high ranking Thalmor Mage, sent to Skyrim undercover, his orders simple: keep an eye on the Imperial Soldiers from the inside. However, things did not go as planned. As he crossed the border into Skyrim, wearing civilian cloths as ordered, he was caught in an Imperial ambush. Alone, and with no proof of his identity, He was hauled away with the Stormclock rebels and their leader, Ulfric Stormclock, to be executed.

Sundas, 2:31 pm, 17th of Lost Seed, 4E 201

Tullius you bastard...you will pay for this transgression. You knew I was a Thalmor when I was captured! A letter had been sent by the dominion, you knew to expect a High Elf crossing the border...yet I was still captured, still hauled off with the leader of the Rebellion. I swear to you Tullius, you will pay!

We were taken into the Nord village Helgen by carriage. I shared a carriage with three filthy Nords, one was a Rebel, the other, a Horse thief caught in the crossfire like myself, and the third, the leader of the rebellion himself, Ulfric Stormclock. As we made it into Helgen, I found my anger for the General Tullius growing stronger, but also found myself shocked to see him talking to members of the Thalmor. What is the meaning of this? These thoughts were soon pushed from my mind however as we were ordered to climb out of the carriage, and called by name. I of course, was not on the list. However, the soldiers insisted on executing me...My anger returned as I walked over to the headman's block, but for the first time in my life I felt something I had never felt before: Fear. I found myself praying to the Divines in what I had believed to be my last few seconds of life when it happened. Something that has changed everything. A dragon, a black as ebony, attacked Helgen, and I had escaped death. For now.

I made my way into one of the towers of Helgen, to try and find an alternate way out. The dragon burst through one of the walls, and I was able to jump from the hole it had created, into a burnt house. As I stepped outside and took in the carnage, I couldn't help but think of the City of Kvatch in Cyrodil. I had read about the city's destruction during the Oblivion Crisis, and wondered if it was anything like how Helgen was. Buildings burning, dead littering the streets, people screaming...

I followed one of the Imperial Soldiers, and after a few more run ins with the beast, I followed the Soldier inside another building. Once we were both safely inside, the soldier, who's name turned out to be Hadvar, cut my bindings off and told me to find some equipment. I was so relieved to finally have the use of my hands again I did not even bother showing my displeasure of being ordered around by the likes of a Nord. I found the armour in a chest. Light, but uncomfortable stuff.

I made my way through the building with Hadvar, picking up supplies (and thankfully a change of cloths; Mages Robes to be exact) along the way, running into Stormclock and native beasts along the way, until finally we made it outside of Helgen just in time to see the Dragon fly away. On Hadvar advice, I made my way to the small town of Riverwood and went to see Hadvar's uncle. The old Nord asked me to warn the Jarl of Whiterun (Ruler of the Nord city Whiterun, and supposedly the surrounding area named the same, which apparently Riverwood lies within) about the Dragon. I would have refused the old man if It didn't have any benefit for me. But alas, it did. I needed to make my way to a city and begin gathering information. This Whiterun, from what I remember reading before leaving for Skyrim, is more or less neutral in the war. This means, I could gather information about Tullius without raising suspicions...and also, about the Thalmor...something is not right here in Skyrim. Why do I get the feeling i have been betrayed? And why has a Dragon appeared here, after so many years? I head out for Whiterun tommorow. Right now, I must rest. It may still be early, but after everything that has happened, I have a feeling I will be sleeping for quite a while. The Sleeping Giant Inn, here in Riverwood, will make a fine place to stay. For now.

Tirdas, 3:03 AM, 19th of Lost Seed, 4E 201

I was so exhausted from yesterday's events that I did not wake up until 6:30 the next morning. As I made my way out of the Sleeping Giant inn, I decided to explore the town a bit, talk to the locals, learn more about Skyrim. After wandering for about half an hour, I came across an old woman who was shouting about Dragons, and a young Nord who I believed to be her son. I chatted him up, and learned of a love triangle between the Nord man (Names Sven), a Nord woman named Camilla, and a Wood Elf, Faendal. Sven asked me to deliver a letter to this Camilla girl and claim it was from Faendal, in order to ensure his chances with her. I agreed to help the Nord, but in a particular display of cunning on my part, visited Faendal, not Camilla. As if an Elf would betray a fellow elf to the likes of a Nord, even if the elf in question was a simple Wood Elf.

After telling the Wood Elf about Sven's plan, he gave me a letter to give to the Nord Woman, and told me to tell her it was from Sven (I have to admit, these townsfolk are very...original). I found out that Camilla runs the local goods store with her brother, and walked into a little sibling dispute about some sort of theft. I ignored the argument, and handed the letter over to Camilla. The effect was instantaneous, and it was clear that his Nord girl would not want anything to do with Sven again. I told Faendal the news, and found myself with some gold for aiding him.

I decided to go into the Riverwood Trader again to pick up any additional supplies I may need on the journey to Whiterun, After buying some health potions and a spell, I began to talk to the shop keeper, my curiosity getting the better of me. I asked about the argument I had over heard earlier, and learned that a golden dragon claw had been stolen. Interested in the irony, I offered to get the claw back from the bandits if I came across it in my travels. I wondered if the claw could have anything to do with Dragon's returning to Skyrim. If it was, it was worth looking into.

In another twist of irony, Camilla offered to guide me to the edge of town, which I accepted, eager to leave this pathetic town as soon as possible. On the road to Whiterun, I came across a small group of Imperial Soldiers and a prisoner they had with them. I killed every last one of them, Soldiers, and prisoner. Let that be a message to Tullius. Neither he, nor his Soldiers, shall escape my wrath. As I neared the city walls, I found myself in the middle of a fight between a Giant and a group of warriors who call themselves the Companions. They solve other peoples problems for profit. They may call themselves whatever they like, but to me they are but lowly mercenaries. I hold no interest in joining them, I have much better things to do.

These Nords are so foolish. I had to persuade one of the Guards to let me into the city with news of the Dragon attack. Even as I entered the city walls, I was told that the Guards would be keeping an eye on me...how foolish.

Despite myself, I had to admit that the buildings in the city were designed with care and skill. I entered the Bannered Mare, to try and pinpoint any useful rumours or information about Tullius or the Thalmor. The Tavern owner told me about a Shrine to the Daedris Prince Azura, and a dying tree in the middle of town, but no information particularly useful to me. I did, however, pick up a bounty letter for a Bandit leader held up nearby in Valtheim Keep. Being short on Septims, I decided to go and kill this wretched fool, and take his bounty before visiting the Jarl.

My trip the the keep was largly uneventful, save for running into a thief who thrust a battle axe into my hand, asked my to hang onto it, and vanished before I could protest. Then, before I could even take three steps forward, the owner of the axe, a hunter, showed up and questioned me. Irritated with these interruptions, I kill both the hunter, and the thief who was still nearby, and went on my way.

I arrived at the keep and proceeded to kill every last bandit in it, looting their bodies, and taking all their supplies for myself, without much trouble. Once finished, I journeyed back to Whiterun to claim the bounty on the Bandit's head. On my way back, I discovered the Ritual Stone, and accepted its gift of Necromancy, something bound to come in handy on my trails. With my new-found power, I arrived in Whiterun, and headed to the Jarl's castle, called Dragonsreach, a magnificent building that stood high above the rest of the city.

Once inside, I told the Jarl of the attack on Helgen. He agreed to send troops to protect Riverwood, and asked me to see his court wizard with him, who has been studying dragons. Knowing that continuing on this path of investigating the Dragons would put me in contact with my fellow Thalmor agents sooner or later (as the Thalmor would be very interested in this news), I agreed, but not before I claimed my bounty from the Jarl's steward.

The Wizard, a Nord (a Nord mage? What is Tamriel coming to!?) asked me to go to Bleak Falls Barrow to gather a Dragon Stone, a map of Dragon Burial sites. I agreed to go, and realized that it was Bleak Falls Barrow where the Golden Claw had been taken. Two birds with one stone. How convenient for me. Seeing how this venture could be particularly dangerous, I decided to gain myself a constant companion, and bought a spell that would allow me to summon up a Flame Atronach from the depths of Oblivion. I also found out some useful information about a College of Mages in the town of Winterhold, something I plan on taking a look into later.

After taking care of some Bandit Sentries, I arrived at the Barrow itself around 8 in the evening, took out the Bandits guarding the outside, and headed inside. Once inside, I killed two more bandits, and headed deeper into the Barrow, witnessing a third bandit trying to move deeper into the crypt, only to be killed by a trap. Upon inspection, I decided the trap seemed simple enough, as it was more of a puzzle than anything else. In order to open the gate, I had to turn the pillars to the correct pattern, or face the same fate as the bandit.

The ancient Nords, whether by design, or by stupidity, had the answer within the room itself, lying within the stone faces on the upper level. Once I placed the pillars in the correct space (snake, snake, whale), I proceeded further. After a tricky fight with a giant Frostbite Spider, I found the Bandit who the had claw in his possession, trapped by the spider in its web. I freed the bandit and proceeded to kill him as well, to tie up any loose ends, took and claw, and read the bandit's journal. It would appear the claw is some sort of key, a key that unlocks something the Ancient Nords hid within these walls...how interesting.

The deeper I got into the crypts, the more I realized just how much magic ran through it. The dead were coming to life before my very eyes, undead Nords speaking a tongue I could not understand. They attacked me as if they were the guardians of whatever was locked away, guardians who would not rest until I was dead. These beings, these...Draugr, they intrigue me.

Finally, after hours of wandering inside the crypt, I found the lock to the key: A puzzle door. In order for the Claw to work, I must have the right pattern on the door. I inspected the room for clues, but when I found none, I turned my attention to the key itself, and couldn't help but laugh. There, on the claw, was the answer! Bear, Insect, Owl, I slid the rings into these position, inserted the claw, and the door lowered, allowing me entry into the chamber beyond.

Entering the chamber, a chill ran down my spine. Ancient and powerful magic flowed through this chamber, A magic that I, a Thalmor, could barely comprehend. But yet it felt like something was...calling to me. I continued forward, lead by this feeling, until I was face to face with a wall, ancient but illegible writing, all except for one word. This word, this is what was calling out to me, a faint blue glow coming from it. As I drew closer, I realized I could read it, understand it. Fus...Force. Before I could contemplate what had just happened, the coffin behind me erupted, and a powerful Draugr rose from it. This Draugr was unlike any of the others though. It had powerful, ancient magic on its side, using the power of its voice to focus its magical attack on me.

Once the Draugr was slain, I recovered the Dragonstone from its body, and left Bleak Falls Barrow. I returned to Riverwood, and returned the Claw to Lucan; it holds no use to me now. As if is late, I decided to retire to the Sleeping Giant Inn once again. I will head back to Whiterun tomorrow. I have many things to contemplate...Why was I able to read that ancient text? Why have the Dragons returned? Just what is going on here in Skyrim?

Tirdas, 6:41 PM, 19th of Lost Seed, 4E 201

I returned to Dragonsreach around midday, and took the Dragonstone to Farengar, only to discover him speaking to a woman in a hood. She had a strange, familiar feel about them, but I could not quite put my hand on it. Once I gave the Mage the Dragonstone, Farengar shared an interesting piece of information with me: The woman he was with, she told him the location of the Dragonstone...In other words, she is more deeply involved with this mystery than anyone else. Before I could question the woman, news arrived that a Dragon had been spotted near Whiterun, and that the Jarl had asked for my and Farengar's assistance.

The Jarl asked me to help his men fight off the Dragon before it could attack Whiterun, and, as a reward for retrieving the Dragonstone, has allowed me to purchase property in Whiterun; something I may have to do if I am to stay in this province long term... I headed to the Western Watchtower, where the Dragon had been spotted, and what I found there was not surprising. I had seen how much damage a single Dragon could to do an entire town, so it would have been child's play for a Dragon to decimate a single tower, which is exactly what the Dragon had done by the time I got there.

The Dragon was no where in sight, and so I went to take a look at the damage and search for survivors. One of the Guardsmen came out of the remains of the tower to warn me the Dragon was still around, and no sooner than he spoke, then did a Dragon appear on the horizon. As it neared, it was obvious that this was not the same dragon as the one that attacked Helgen. The battle was fierce, and nearly cost me my life. Never have I faced anything with such raw, primal power. As I approached the Dragon's body, it began to burn up, the flesh and scales burning away, revealing the bones underneath. As the process finished, I felt something...I do not know exactly how to describe it, but it was almost as if something entered by body, unleashing a hidden strength within me that I had no knowledge of possessing. One of the guards called me 'Dragonborn,' a being with the ability to steal the power of slain dragons...and shout. Facing the dead Dragon, I concentrated, and unleashed a force from my mouth, a shout...

I returned to the city, my mind swimming with so many questions. As I neared the walls once again, an earth shaking force rattled the ground beneath me, and powerful voices called from what seemed like all around me. Shaken and unsure of what just happened, I returned to the city, and headed to Dragonsreach, but not before I ran into a couple of Redguards who were searching for a woman. They were paying, so I told them I'd keep an eye out for them, however it is of little significance to me right now.

Once I rested for a while to allow my wounds to be looked after, I returned to the Jarl to share with him what I have discovered. After talking to the Jarl, some of my questions were answered...in part. I am Dragonborn, born with the soul of a Dragon, but the body of a mortal. I am able to absorb the powers of dead dragons, and use them to focus magic in a Thu'um, as the Jarl described it. What I heard as I returned to the city was a summons, the summons of a group known as the Greybeards, masters of the voice who can teach me to use my new found powers. The Jarl also named me the Thane of Whiterun, a honourable title I have been told by my new Housecarl, a Nord named Lydia.

I do not know what these Greybeards want with me, but they must wait. I have plans of my own, and now that I know I have this kind of power, I plan on using it to further my revenge on those who have wronged me. I plan on leaving for the College of Winterhold tomorrow. . I believe that there should be some useful knowledge there that I can use. For now, I shall rest my wounds and my mind. This new information about me being Dragonborn has thrown everything I know into question. It can not be a coincidence that the Dominion sent me here to Skyrim, just as Dragons are returning, and it just so happens that I am a natural born Dragon Slayer...the feeling that I have been betrayed is growing stronger and stronger every moment I am here. For now, I stay at The Bannered Mare, and rest.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts