[SWTOR] Star Wars - The Old Republic

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Stone

Retired Moderator
Just got this game yesterday and wanted to share it with you all in-case you haven't seen it. SWTOR is a massive multiplayer onlinegame made by Bioware & Lucasarts + EA. If you're a starwars fan or just like the idea, I definitely recommend you get this game.

423d1321361052-sith-vs-jedi.jpg

The game starts at character creation where you can choose the dark side, or the good side. From there you can choose a race & class, each give different bonuses/attributes. It's much like World of Warcraft. There's so many good things about this game, like every single mission in the game has it's own unique cutscene keeping you closely intouch with the gripping story. There's lots of servers some with heavy population, and you can choose between PvE or PvP. (Player vs Enemy - I THINK LOL?) & (Player vs Player). Even if you go in a PvE server you can still do PvP so there's no issue with that.

55305C73-E0D9-4AE0-BA1F-581E428723EB7.jpg

There's a little look of what the game looks like, but I think that's on like low graphics. (They aren't my images - google'd).

Now even though this game is amazing, if you're interested in buying it your going to want to make sure you have the money. MMO's are generally expensive and for this you have to buy the base-game for £45 (or £35 if you buy the retail copy from like http://www.amazon.co.uk/.com/whatever - other sites too obviously). It's only £45 if you buy the digital version from the official site. Then you get 30 days free to play, and when that ends you have to have a subscription of £8.99 a month to continue playing.

It's alot of money really to say it all adds up, but it's definitely an excellent game, even if I am only level 4 haha.

You can see the official site and get more information at: http://www.swtor.com

Komvod

Anyone Need a Medic?
I swear its worth the money. Its monthly payments are okay and reminds me of Netflix. So not a big deal. But its very enjoyable and I love the side choice.

Stone

Retired Moderator
I swear its worth the money. Its monthly payments are okay and reminds me of Netflix. So not a big deal. But its very enjoyable and I love the side choice.
It's definitely enjoyable. I went up to level 11 yesterday, now I'm a Sith Marauder. ;)

Spiral Power!

Abenddrachen
I played this game for a while, and here's my opinion:

Pros:

Excellent storytelling, completely unmatched in MMORPGs
Great graphics with a lot of style that makes everything look sleek and stylish without the need for beastly graphic cards
Interesting classes with a lot of thought behind each class/spec
The Legacy system is a fantastic idea for MMO's and something that the entire genre could learn from
Your own ship is just too cool, imagine if players had instanced housing like this on Moonguard! GOLDSHIRE WOULD FINALLY BE FREE!
Space combat!

Cons:

Unimpressive quest design with extremely outdated environments. The "tunnel" map gets extremely boring. I can't stop thinking about how many times I had to run back and forth on a given planet to finish a quest.

While spoken quests are good...that's really the only standout feature in this game. After the talking is over with, there really isn't any part of this game that excels beyond other gamse in its genre.

Space combat would have been cool if it mattered at all. Regardless if you get tons of EXP from it, you still need to do the planet quest chains for your class quests, which would generate EXP that will be lowered of flat out lost if you spend too much time on space combat. On another note, the space combat is completely single player, which is NOT part of an MMORPG and doesn't really contribute anything to the MMO experience.

I don't know how it is now, but this game was released with some pretty awful bugs. I don't mean a minor annoyance here or there...I mean REALLY big issues that get in the way of the experience. The two biggest offenders to me were the high res graphics not actually working in any version of the game (at the time I played) yet if you performed a certain action in your ship with the graphics turned all the way up, you could see the high res textures for a split second.

The second was maddening and is what made me cancel my subscription. The combat delay was absolutely atrocious and unforgivable. No matter how fast your connection or how good your PC was, there was always a .5-1 second delay for all combat abilities. If you play MMOs, you know this is a pretty big deal. But if you play PvP in ANY game, you know that even a .2 second delay can seriously ruin you, so a 1 second delay makes PvP pretty much unplayable.

That, as well with the hilariously bad class balance and extremely 1 sided map construction in PvP, and it's pretty much non-existent.

Another issue I had with this game was the broken promises of the developers when they told us that the game wouldn't use the tank/healer/dps role structure that's present in pretty much every MMORPG. That structure looks fine in EQ, Rift, WoW, or Aion because those are fantasy games, with magic and huge monsters/demons, etc.

But in Star Wars, that model just looks stupid. Imagine five Jedi all fighting ONE imperial trooper...and they are all just standing there completely still. It looks really dumb.

The planets as well in this game are all pretty lame. They are all large barren fields with a lot of nothing and too much space, usually gated off by Animus walls that will kill you if you travel outside of them. Even if you can SEE your destination, you cannot go there unless you take a gryph--I mean speeder.

Lastly I would like to say that the music is pretty terribad in SWTOR. Literally EVERY TRACK is a rip from one of the Star Wars movies, and if you've watched them enough you'll know exactly what scene/what movie/what you were doing when you first saw said scene/movie. There really is no original music at all, and most of the game doesn't even have music.

Unfotunately, if you play this game, you are going to realize it's just a reskin of WoW with new classes, disastrous PvP, extremely underwhelming PvE, and a single player component that doesn't really fit into an MMO all that well. You'll find that most of the time you spend playing it is spent playing alone until you hit max level, at which point you will very quickly run out of things to do. On the plus side, the game rewards you for making alts and leveling them up...but really these rewards don't ever actually "help" you do anything interesting.

I hope this game improves but, it's going to take a lot of work to set it right. The devs should really put more money into the actual gameplay and content and less into more voice actors for another insignificant character who's spoken dialogue I'm going to skip.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts