PC Summerset Shadows quest unable to finish, please help!

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

tmanrpg1

Hi guys I really hope you can help me out with this one. I have searched Google thoroughly as well as on these forums. I am working my way through the Thieves quests but have already completed a bunch of random side quests for barkeepers and random jobs like 'kill the bandit leader'. I think doing all those side quests messed the quest up for the Thieves called Summerset Shadows. The most common problem I have found is that many players are unable to start the quest, let me be clear that is not my issue. My issue is that when I go to the Uttering Hills Cave #1 the banner you are supposed to destroy is invisible and #2 Linwe is invisible. The quest markers are there for both tasks but I am unable to complete them since they are hovering over nothing. I have invested a lot of time into the game so far and I would hate to lose all of my progress. The cave is not populated with Shadow Thief agents like they are supposed to, it is bandits instead. I have tried exiting, re-entering, loading an earlier save - 2 hours prior. I have tried first killing the bandits, then starting the Summerset Shadows quest and it did the same thing. The Shadow agents do not populate it is just bandits again in the cave. I have read some people see a dead Linwe if they 'kill the bandit leader' before this quest, but I do not, it is just a quest marker in the last room and I cannot do anything. I assume the only fix is console related so if you recommend that please be specific as I have not used it before. I will post a list of mods I am using later this evening, but I really do not think they are to blame but it is possible. Thanks in advance!

Blackdoom59

BATMAN!
Thieves guild special jobs are always buggy.I found a way to work this out but it may not.Unmark the quest and forget it's there and do it after you have the the other special jobs for markarth , solitude and whiterun.If this is the last special quest already then I feel bad for you son

tmanrpg1

I will try that, thanks for the recommendation. I have one or two more special quests to go and I am almost done the main Thieves quest. I already have 3 misc. side quests bugged out that I cannot complete for whatever reason. Argh!

Any other ideas from Skyrim fans? Please?!

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
For the banner, this is a bug where the banner is not rendering, but it is there. If you aim at where the banner should be with a fire attack it will burn and you'll clear that mission objective..

For Linwe if you can try to render him by disabling and enabling him. Open up the console using the tilde key (~) and type "prid 7d67a" and the enter key, then type "disable" and the enter key and then "enable" and the enter key. If this doesn't work you can simply add the locket to your inventory. Not exactly satisfying but it will get the job done. You can do that by using the console command "player.additem 7d678 1"

tmanrpg1

I tried flaming that invisible banner for what seemed like 20 minutes. Flame stream and bullet flames. All over. I tried jumping into the invisible banner too. It just won't show up no matter what. Okay that is not critical I guess.
For Linwe I tried multiple times to disable and reenable him. In the cave and outside of the cave. No dice. He will not show. I just get that marker over nothing in the cave.
I tried adding the locket, but the farmer who sent me on the quest does not acknowledge that I have it so he will not let me finish the quest. Any further ideas Dagmar? I really appreciate the help so far.

Dagmar

Try using the prid command to target Linwe again and try "moveto player"

For the locket, see if dropping it and picking it up does anything to update the quest.

tmanrpg1

When I use moveto player, it moves the cursor of the invisible Linwe to right over me. I have tried kill the invisible Linwe and it won't let me kill him. When I drop the locket and pick it up again it doesn't advance the quest. I could send a screenshot of my mods or will try anything else you suggest. Can I use console to delete the quest or make it automatically completed? Could using the console destroy my save game? I am a little nervous at losing my game at this point. Thanks again for your help.

Dagmar

You can use console commands to advance quest stages but sometimes this may trigger a bug further down the line so it ends up being exchanging one set of problems for another. Save your game first and use the console command "setstage tgtq04 60" and see if you can give the locket to Torsten after that.

tmanrpg1

Okay, that worked! Thank you. I was able to complete the Summerset Shadows quest using that command to advance the quest. What an ordeal. What a bad bug. Maybe mod caused, but from everything I have read most likely not a mod based bug but I have no idea. Thank you a lot for your help man. Crossing my fingers that it doesn't snowball into an issue further down the line. This is my first play through and I am trying to complete everything I can. Currently have 3 small misc. bugged quests that happened long before mods entered the picture. That was my first major one. Whew. Thanks again you rock.

tmanrpg1

So.. How did it go? Did it mess up something later in the game?

Nope, this was a great success for me. No future bugs. I played about 100 hrs past this point too. Save file size is currently around 20 mb. I was able to get all of the Thieves Guild achievements and restore the guild to its former glory! Huzzah!

dizziple

Sweet! It seems like it worked for me too. Faaar away from returning the thieves guild to it's former glory though. Currently playing with skyrim redone and scenic carriages. No fast travel allowed! At lvl 30 so far. This game is so damn fun. I have over 1000 hours logged now.. it's insane (shakes head)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts