• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

John Gardner

Why is it that my mage follower consistently conjures an Atronach directly in my line of crossbow fire? And the melee fighter followers seem determined to die by friendly fire by running forward, again directly in my line of fire. It is SOOOOO frustrating! Sometimes I think the game developers have a program to watch us play and laugh their asses off when we kill off our followers. (And yes I do know you can set them as Essential).

The Honorable Gidian Diva of Sass

Sahrot Vahlok Spaan. Bahnahgaar. Minion #88!
Staff member
Why is it that my mage follower consistently conjures an Atronach directly in my line of crossbow fire? And the melee fighter followers seem determined to die by friendly fire by running forward, again directly in my line of fire. It is SOOOOO frustrating! Sometimes I think the game developers have a program to watch us play and laugh their asses off when we kill off our followers. (And yes I do know you can set them as Essential).
I'd rather have them run forward into friendly fire rather than be almost completely passive and useless like they are in Fallout 4.

obisgirl

I've gotten pretty good at avoiding traps in dungeons, but Belrond, my companion not so much. I've watched him walk over the same trap repeatedly until he finally realizes that he shouldn't step over the trigger to move on. He has a great attitude though and doesn't complain, though I think he gets bored when he's not killing something.

Blood Rose Angel

Death surrounds me singing to me softly
Somebody times I feel like the creators are watching because I will have such good luck and then my game for no reason at all will crash or 2-3 dragons will come out of NOWHERE! And the dragons are usually frost, normal, and an elder -.- and I haven't had a follower die yet XD Well I don't know if my husband counts does he? The fl*ffed up part about my husband dying was that Mercer killed him! Which is y I felt no remorse in killing Mercer he deserved it @,.,@

Last edited:

sticky runes

I enjoy using followers a lot, but I have played some games that had REALLY bad AI that makes Skyrim's NPCs look genius.

Unfortunately you do have to put up with their annoyances, like getting in your way, or getting lost because you've wandered somewhere they can't follow.

And some places are just too long and dreary to explore on my own (like Blackreach and a lot of Dwemer ruins) so I appreciate having the company and an extra pair of hands to carry all the junk I've been collecting.

Blood Rose Angel

I enjoy using followers a lot, but I have played some games that had REALLY bad AI that makes Skyrim's NPCs look genius.

Unfortunately you do have to put up with their annoyances, like getting in your way, or getting lost because you've wandered somewhere they can't follow.

And some places are just too long and dreary to explore on my own (like Blackreach and a lot of Dwemer ruins) so I appreciate having the company and an extra pair of hands to carry all the junk I've been collecting.
True

JoeReese

If you're on PC, you can use a mod like Amazing Follower Tweaks, which allows you to set their AI (confidence and aggression) as well as set them to hang back a bit, so they don't knock you off of everything.

I've been getting so mad at Jenassa today. She keeps getting in front of me while I'm blasting enemies with fireballs. And when I cast Frenzy on enemies to make them kill each other, she jumps into the fray so they won't do it! I'm gonna send her back to the Drunken Huntsman just as soon as I'm able to unload all the junk she's carrying for me.

I had Brelyna, now my wife, serving as my follower for a while. For the most part she was good, but after I learned the spell to summon Frost Atronachs, she became a massive pain in the ass. Because she made it her life's mission to summon Frost Atronachs in tight spaces, hallways, caves and so on, so I couldn't go anywhere or do anything until it disappeared. It got worse when she started dual-casting them, making them last twice as long. And she would cast them when they weren't even close to necessary. Some enemy or animal I could kill in two seconds, Brelyna would summon a Frost Atronach to deal with it, and then I'd be stuck with the thing for what felt like ages. Finally I sent her home to my Whiterun house. Later I sent her back to her college dorm when she kept coming up to me while I was experimenting in the alchemy room and saying to me, over and over, "so you're off to find some staff now? I don't see the point of that!"

But the worst follower was Anska. By Sithis, what a gargantuan pain she was. I went to High Gate Ruin to find one of the Shallidor books for Urag, and found her there. Initially I thought "ok, let's work together". But omg. She kept shoving right into me, constantly. She wouldn't sneak, and she would make stealth impossible. She kept making snotty bigoted comments like "what do you want, little elf?" and "speak, elf!". And she would cast fireballs just EVERYWHERE and kept hitting me with them. Finally she made the mistake of hitting Jenassa with a fireball, and it was on. Jenassa just waled on her and I just sat back and watched the show. When it looked like Anska might win, I jumped in and finished her off rather than let her kill Jenassa. Needless to say, I failed her little scroll quest. It occurred to me later that I could have cast Calm on the both of them, but I hadn't thought of it at the time, and I enjoyed watching Jenassa kicking her ass. It was only later that I found out that I could have gotten a "Conjure Flaming Familiar" spell if I had completed that quest, and there's no way to get that spell otherwise. So I kicked myself for that. Oh well, in some future game maybe.

I think I might try J'zargo as a follower next, or maybe just try going without a follower for a while. Problem is, I keep hitting my carry limit when I don't have a follower to use as a pack mule, and since I'm playing a pure mage, I haven't put many level-ups into stamina. Well, I'll figure something out.

Blood Rose Angel

I've been getting so mad at Jenassa today. She keeps getting in front of me while I'm blasting enemies with fireballs. And when I cast Frenzy on enemies to make them kill each other, she jumps into the fray so they won't do it! I'm gonna send her back to the Drunken Huntsman just as soon as I'm able to unload all the junk she's carrying for me.

I had Brelyna, now my wife, serving as my follower for a while. For the most part she was good, but after I learned the spell to summon Frost Atronachs, she became a massive pain in the ass. Because she made it her life's mission to summon Frost Atronachs in tight spaces, hallways, caves and so on, so I couldn't go anywhere or do anything until it disappeared. It got worse when she started dual-casting them, making them last twice as long. And she would cast them when they weren't even close to necessary. Some enemy or animal I could kill in two seconds, Brelyna would summon a Frost Atronach to deal with it, and then I'd be stuck with the thing for what felt like ages. Finally I sent her home to my Whiterun house. Later I sent her back to her college dorm when she kept coming up to me while I was experimenting in the alchemy room and saying to me, over and over, "so you're off to find some staff now? I don't see the point of that!"

But the worst follower was Anska. By Sithis, what a gargantuan pain she was. I went to High Gate Ruin to find one of the Shallidor books for Urag, and found her there. Initially I thought "ok, let's work together". But omg. She kept shoving right into me, constantly. She wouldn't sneak, and she would make stealth impossible. She kept making snotty bigoted comments like "what do you want, little elf?" and "speak, elf!". And she would cast fireballs just EVERYWHERE and kept hitting me with them. Finally she made the mistake of hitting Jenassa with a fireball, and it was on. Jenassa just waled on her and I just sat back and watched the show. When it looked like Anska might win, I jumped in and finished her off rather than let her kill Jenassa. Needless to say, I failed her little scroll quest. It occurred to me later that I could have cast Calm on the both of them, but I hadn't thought of it at the time, and I enjoyed watching Jenassa kicking her ass. It was only later that I found out that I could have gotten a "Conjure Flaming Familiar" spell if I had completed that quest, and there's no way to get that spell otherwise. So I kicked myself for that. Oh well, in some future game maybe.

I think I might try J'zargo as a follower next, or maybe just try going without a follower for a while. Problem is, I keep hitting my carry limit when I don't have a follower to use as a pack mule, and since I'm playing a pure mage, I haven't put many level-ups into stamina. Well, I'll figure something out.
If your playing skyrim just get the spell to summon the daedra from the god (auto correct keeps correcting his name so I gave up) on Raven rock. He carries up to 200 lbs from he's not wearing any extraneous stuff for weight carrying.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts