1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Stuck in First Lessons with Tolfdir.

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by TitaniumHipster, Feb 14, 2012.

1. TitaniumHipster

TitaniumHipster New Member

I’m a level 25 Warrior Nord who wants to become a Mage. I’ve been accepted into the College but I am really stuck in the Hall of the Elements with three other students and our teacher Tolfdir. The problem is that absolutely nothing is happening. The spell that Tolfdir is supposed to cast at us is not forthcoming. I’ve gotten so bored that I have gone off with my follower on a quest or two only to return to see dear old Tolfdir and the other students exactly where they were when I left them. How can I become a Mage if I cannot even get past the first lessons? I sure would appreciate any suggestions about how I can get things moving on my PC.
  2. M'aiqaelF

M'aiqaelF Castle Rock, CO

i remember having a problem there as well, you need to be in the exact position for him to cast the spell....try moving around a little in the spot marked by the quest marker until he starts charging the spell and then cast the ward and keep holding down the button to maintain it
  3. BFP53

BFP53 Member

I had trouble too and the realized my follower was right beside me i moved told her to wait there and went back and all was good then.
  4. Ravenna

Ravenna It's-a Wario time!

Are you standing in the correct spot first of all,
    You also have to cast a ward in order for him to cast a fireball at you.

If you're already doing those things, them I'm not sure what's wrong.
  5. chelz0r

chelz0r Member

You don't need to go to the college to become good at magic. Or rather, it won't help much to become better at it. Just buy spell-tomes and cast as many spells as you can, that's the only way.

The college does give you a very nice questline though.

One thing I do when things get stuck like that is use a full-on Unrelenting Force on the stuck NPC. That can get things moving sometimes. Oh yes, you do need to cast a ward in front of Tolfdir before he hits you with his spell.
  6. TitaniumHipster

TitaniumHipster New Member

Thanks for the help. Could you tell me where the "correct spot" is?
  7. Ravenna

Ravenna It's-a Wario time!

He should tell you "stand opposite me", and there's a circle on the floor that is right across from the one he's standing on.
  8. Necromis

Necromis Well-Known Member

also, you can tap and not hold the ward up to retrigger him. He will tell you no no you must maintain the ward, and tell you to try again. See if that helps.