Stuck in an area of the Soul Cairn (Possible Spoilers)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

TheNatural

Okay, I hope this is the proper place to post this, so here goes.

Earlier today I began going through the Dawnguard questline, and got to the point where I need to enter the Soul Cairn, so I did that, no problem.

After doing some exploring and enjoying the cool new area, I found myself in a structure that had a ledge that led to a new area. I hopped down off of this ledge, Serana followed, and I found myself in an areas surrounded by the pink ethereal walls and one structure, with a chest and one of those soul sucking crystal things.

I ate my soul husk and grabbed the goodies in the chest and other stuff up top, the hopped back off. The problem lies when I try to leave that little area; I cannot. There is half of a stair case, and walls all around, and I can't jump back onto the ledge. Am I missing something very obvious?

I hope someone knows the area I am speaking of and can give me some advice on getting out of there, because at the moment, I am looking at loading to a save before the cairn and just forgoing it for the time being.

P.S.

One more thing: If I choose to have her partially trap my soul to enter, then finish dawnguard questline, I know I'll be able to enter, but what if after the DG quests are completed, I wish to be turned by Serana? Will I be able to re-enter the Soul Cairn?

Sorry for so many questions, just trying to avoid bugs now that after 300+ hours I am finally getting to the DG quests.

Ivory

Let's Player
Are you able to take a picture of your location? As for the other question, your best bet is to try it before you save when it comes to being turned and then entering the cairn.

Naginata

Huntress of the Shadows
You might want to reload and try again. I get stuck sometimes, and normally you can find a way out that isn't obvious, but if you can't, you should reload. Also, if you got into an area that isn't meant to be accessed a certain way, it's possible that you just got trapped because your entry into the area wasn't the right way. Try reloading and entering the area a different way, and maybe you won't get trapped :)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Yes on the reentering. If you talk to Valerica, she explains that you've become attuned whether you wanted to or not just by being there.

I had a similar trapped experience and had to reload, which is one of the reasons I try never, ever to just jump off of things in the Soul Cairn. There are a couple of dead spots I've found that are inescapable. I always use the stairs (or teleport pads when available).

TheNatural

Well, I figured out my first problem, as far as being stuck goes.

The Unofficial Dawnguard Patch messed with the Meshes for the stairs leading in and out of multiple areas, causing them to "float" up in the air, leaving no way out of some spots. I have no idea how that patch was able to be out for three weeks before it got fixed, as it is a game breaking bug, but it seems the issue was rectified by the most recent update. So I am all good there.

My other question is still giving me fits, though, because while reading about Dawnguard bugs, I came across many posts about the choice to become a vampire, or get partially soul trapped.

My understanding is this: If you choose to become a vampire to enter the Soul Cairn, once you get cured to continue the DG path, even if you get turned again later by serana, you cannot enter again. I have also heard that if you choose to be soul trapped, and then become a vampire after the questline is finished, you cannot re-enter as a Vampire. So, what from what I've gathered, the only sure-fire way to make sure you can enter at will, is to choose the partial soul trap, and never become a vampire.

Is any of this true? Has anyone tried mixing and matching the paths (i.e. Partial Trap, then Vamp later), and if so, were you able to re-enter the SC?

EDIT: Thanks to Daelon for the info about Re-entering! I think I just might go Vampire, get cured, and go Vamp again, as I have yet to do the vampire thing in any of my playthroughs. The good thing is, Vampirism doesn't hurt my RP goals with this character at all.

Ivory

Let's Player
I can confirm both of those, as I had did both of them that way previously. Led to me only meeting Valerica once on any of the millions of playthroughs I've done. So be careful

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Well, I figured out my first problem, as far as being stuck goes.

The Unofficial Dawnguard Patch messed with the Meshes for the stairs leading in and out of multiple areas, causing them to "float" up in the air, leaving no way out of some spots. I have no idea how that patch was able to be out for three weeks before it got fixed, as it is a game breaking bug, but it seems the issue was rectified by the most recent update. So I am all good there.

My other question is still giving me fits, though, because while reading about Dawnguard bugs, I came across many posts about the choice to become a vampire, or get partially soul trapped.

My understanding is this: If you choose to become a vampire to enter the Soul Cairn, once you get cured to continue the DG path, even if you get turned again later by serana, you cannot enter again. I have also heard that if you choose to be soul trapped, and then become a vampire after the questline is finished, you cannot re-enter as a Vampire. So, what from what I've gathered, the only sure-fire way to make sure you can enter at will, is to choose the partial soul trap, and never become a vampire.

Is any of this true? Has anyone tried mixing and matching the paths (i.e. Partial Trap, then Vamp later), and if so, were you able to re-enter the SC?

Well - I can only tell you from my experience. I was turned by Serana and then cured, and didn't have any trouble reentering the Soul Cairn even when not a vampire. But that could be just me. I've also been soul-trapped (although I unsoultrapped myself during the questline anyhow) and then was turned by Serana and was still able to reenter. I've also just entered the first time as a vampire having been turned by Harkon, then getting cured and had no trouble reentering. Of course that was all on one playthrough.

My favorite though was getting soul-trapped and going in as a werewolf. It glitched so bad that I had to laugh when I tried to turn while in there. I haven't read anything about not being able to turn in the Soul Cairn, but I learned my lesson and held off turning while there after that. Besides, why would you want to turn in the Cairn anyhow. It's not like there's anyone there to eat and the fear howl doesn't do jack against the summoned creatures or the Keepers' pets. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts