Strategy for the Ebony Warrior on Legendary?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
I want to prepare my current character for this guy and try to beat him on the highest difficulty I can manage. At the moment I'm a level 50 one handed/shield Breton with good restoration ability and level 100 alteration. Moving forward, I'll likely make alteration legendary and not level it again (because it's mostly garbage and not going to have any use against TEW).

Here's a video of someone else beating TEW in an epic battle.

If you don't have time to watch, the player uses one handed attacks (only 273 damage on the sword), close wounds to heal himself, conjures two dremora lords often enough to always have two in the fight, uses unrelenting force to knock down TEW and get in some hits and casts storm cloak for a bit of extra damage. Great achievement beating this guy, but I think I could put together a character better suited to the fight. Prepare for a long thread, or just skip now and suggest ideas :)

Shouts

Unrelenting force is probably the best option. Disarm wouldn't work, but maybe frost breath with the black book effect that freezes the opponent would be better? Unrelenting force recharges much faster (45 seconds vs 100s) but the enemy starts getting up straight away. Freezing the opponent would give more time to hack and slash away, and while TEW is down the shout is recharging. I'll unlock frost breath with the freeze buff and experiment with it

Elemental fury is an alternative, but means a weapon can't be enchanted. OTOH maybe just carrying two weapons is the answer? Switch from an enchanted weapon to the other one before using the shout, when the shout wears off switch back. Thoughts?

Anything else worth considering?

Poisons

TEW has 50% resistance because he's a Redguard. Does this effect paralysis potions? Will he resist half of them or just get up twice as fast? How about slow potions?

I'm thinking of making a stack of simple poisons for damage but also some others like weakness to frost which will combine with a frost enchantment on a Stalhrim weapon

I'll take the alchemy perks poisoner and concentrated poison to help out

Weapon

Stalhrim mace with a frost enchantment and maybe absorb health or paralysis as a secondary enchantment. The mace because I want all three bone breaker perks for 75% armour denial. This is one place I think the video maker got it wrong. TEW wears armour so a mace with the right perks seems the most effective weapon option

Powers

I've already got Nightingale Strife for a one off 100 absorb health. Might be good when his health is low and he's about to heal, or when I'm low. Is there anything else I could acquire? I'm a Breton so no histskin or berzerk rage unfortunately

Unusual Perks

The build is all about beating TEW so I'm going to use perks I wouldn't normally take.

Restoration
Avoid death- I tihnk the odds on me falling beneath 10% health are very, very high :D

Enchanting
Frost enchanter- for extra frost damage on the mace

Heavy Armour
Reflect blows- if I have the perks free it would be cool to have.

Block
Disarming bash- anyone used this? Disarming the Ebony Warrior would be incredible! It requires a few useless perks to unlock but that could be game over for him if he loses his melee weapon

One handed
Bone breaker- all three perks to negate his armour

Alchemy
Poisoner and concentrated poison for better poisons and weakness to frost potions.

Destruction

Augmented frost, adept destruction- for both frost cloak and the frost damage on my mace

Armour

Heavy armour. Haven't decided exactly which enchantments but fortify one handed, magica regen and fortify health will be priorities on my armour. Maybe that dragon mask you can unlock at the Labyrinthian but probably just a helmet that fortifies restoration and magica regen. Ancient Nord for the aesthetic :Dovahkiin:

General strategy

For damage output a stalhrim mace with all relevant one handed perks and the best frost damage I can put on it. Weakness to frost poisons to bump up frost damage and negate his frost resistance. Close wounds to heal myself. Shield charge, unrelenting force, paralysis potions to stun him and let me get my attacks off. Maybe a secondary paralyze enchantment on my weapon. Frost cloak for a bit of extra damage (mostly because the guy in the video used a cloak spell).

I'm coming for you Ebony Warrior. This time I'll be better prepared and you're going down.

Ebony_Warrior.png

:pinkdragon: Advice and criticism please!!! :bluedragon:

Forgot

Strategy? I think one-shotting him will work.

http://skyrimforum.com/sf/threads/max-damage-can-you-beat-it-updated.67912/
http://skyrimforum.com/sf/threads/maxed-character-guide.67731/

In all seriousness, you can beat him using just about any strategy you like. It just takes patience, both during the fight and during crafting. For example, one could just use unrelenting force, damage him with spells or arrows, run away until your shout is ready, and repeat.

Also, a little known fact is that you can pickpocket him. I would suggest pickpocketing his health potions from him, although this could be considered a little cheesy.

Last edited:

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Sneak attack every time. Also find that Storm Call, Unrelenting Force and Dremora Lords are quite affective. Don't like to face him in open battle since he reflects so much damage. Usually just spam him with destruction spells. he has 50% resistance, but 100 thunderbolts or incinerates usually gets him, especially with the stagger on dual wield of spells.

Besides, there really isn't much of a reward. By level 80, I can guarantee that I have better armor and weapons than he has.

I only wish I could just attack him when he first talks to me and get it over with.

Not really a battle that I care about.

Forgot

Besides, there really isn't much of a reward. By level 80, I can guarantee that I have better armor and weapons than he has.

I only wish I could just attack him when he first talks to me and get it over with.

I agree completely. Once you get your strategy down pat the fight becomes easier than most legendary dragon fights.

Also: Windshear

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Oh I'm not interested in sneak attacking him, though it's obviously perfectly legit for a sneaky type.

No, I want to take him on face to face. If paralysis potions works I could constantly keep him paralyzed and grind him down, but after that I'll try again without them. I want to beat him at his own game!

Forgot to mention fortify one handed potions and the blessing of talos, I'll be using both of those.

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Wow, I had to look up Windshear... that weapon looks insane! That one is out though, I destroyed the DB the first time they sent an assassin after me :D

I'll try to get the same effects from block perks. Shield charge and the bash thing that disarms (never used it, forgotten the name)

Daelon DuLac

Oh I'm not interested in sneak attacking him, though it's obviously perfectly legit for a sneaky type.

No, I want to take him on face to face. If paralysis potions works I could constantly keep him paralyzed and grind him down, but after that I'll try again without them. I want to beat him at his own game!

Forgot to mention fortify one handed potions and the blessing of talos, I'll be using both of those.
Be sure and get the amulet of Talos as well (I think it's 20%? + the blessing really kicks a** for Shout regeneration). ;)

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble

Be sure and get the amulet of Talos as well (I think it's 20%? + the blessing really kicks a** for Shout regeneration). ;)

Nah 20% shout time reduction isn't better than fortify one handed and whatever else is on my necklace (fortify magica or fortify health I think). It's going to be mace attacks that kill him, shouts just give a good chance to get attacks off without being hit back

Daelon DuLac

Nah 20% shout time reduction isn't better than fortify one handed and whatever else is on my necklace (fortify magica or fortify health I think). It's going to be mace attacks that kill him, shouts just give a good chance to get attacks off without being hit back
Good luck with that. Be careful though, the damage reflection and his shouts can catch you by surprise, thus, I try too never let him even see me.

Adam Warlock

Sneak attack every time. Also find that Storm Call, Unrelenting Force and Dremora Lords are quite affective. Don't like to face him in open battle since he reflects so much damage. Usually just spam him with destruction spells. he has 50% resistance, but 100 thunderbolts or incinerates usually gets him, especially with the stagger on dual wield of spells.

The trick is to spot EW BEFORE he can talk to you.

Last run through I saw him hanging around the Solitude Hall of the Dead but did not approach him.
went up to the battlements of Castle Dour and did an arrow sneak shot down to the street.
This made him aggro and he came after me but the city guards fought with him and eventually brought him down to a knee in the castle courtyard.
a second sneak arrow from my hiding place finished him
lots of fun to watch his 5+ minute struggle with the guards/
i incurred no damage whatever except for assault fine of 40 gold that i had to pay because someone witnessed my 1st shot

By observation , he gave the mob a good fight.
4 guards fought up close melee and 2 others stood back with bows.
No shouts other than an occasional fus ro dah , basically sword/board tactics. he consumed all his healing potions during the protracted struggle.
His fatal flaw was that he would turn his attention away from his immediate foe if they took a knee , giving them time to recover. he had only killed one guard by the end

Last edited:

Daelon DuLac

The trick is to spot EW BEFORE he can talk to you.

Last run through I saw him hanging around the Solitude Hall of the Dead but did not approach him.
went up to the battlements of Castle Dour and did an arrow sneak shot down to the street.
This made him aggro and he came after me but the city guards fought with him and eventually brought him down to a knee in the castle courtyard.
a second sneak arrow from my hiding place finished him
lots of fun to watch his 5+ minute struggle with the guards/
i incurred no damage whatever except for assault fine of 40 gold that i had to pay because someone witnessed my 1st shot
That is an awesome idea! I have got to try that. I spotted him in Whiterun long before he saw or spoke to me. An arrow through the face and a Thane favor would have solved that issue easily.

Thanks!

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo

There you go. Afterwards, laugh your butt off about how he's not going to Sovenguard because he's a Redguard, not a Nord. Which is a shame, he's an awesome fighter.

Forgot

If you're still looking for strategies, you can actually get enough shout time reduction and shout duration increase that the duration of slow time exceeds its cooldown.

Here's how:
Vampirism + necromage for 25% perk and enchantment increases. (although this strategy will work to a lesser extent without vampirism)
Amulet of talos for 20% shout cooldown reduction. (Drops from 60s to 48s)
"Stability" alteration perk for 50% increased duration. (Duration increased from 30s to 45s)
Alteration potions for a variable increase in duration.

All of these factors need not be resent, as long as you have slow time active for the majority of combat you should be good. Although I assume you have maxed crafting skills if you are attempting on legendary, so you should be able to constantly be in slow time if you use potions.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
No matter how much you think you are prepared, you are still going to get your ass handed to you on a silver platter...next to the sweet rolls and honey treats.

After many attempts for me, in the end, I killed him with two shots of my crossbow. AFTER I dialed down the difficulty. Did I feel cheap afterwards? you betcha. Would I reload and do it over?... Not even if the hoards of Oblivion demanded it.

Snake Tortoise

Here's For Your Trouble
Some great strategies posted here that I wouldn't have thought of myself, like Windshear and permanent slow time. As I said, I can't obtain Windshear and while I think slow time is very clever I think it would leave a bad taste if I resorted to that.

I'm not desperate to beat him on legendary and if a normal, but very powerful, build can't do the trick I'm happy to admit defeat and try on master.

No matter how much you think you are prepared, you are still going to get your ass handed to you on a silver platter...next to the sweet rolls and honey treats.

After many attempts for me, in the end, I killed him with two shots of my crossbow. AFTER I dialed down the difficulty. Did I feel cheap afterwards? you betcha. Would I reload and do it over?... Not even if the hoards of Oblivion demanded it.

I think you're probably right. It was just a bit depressing how ill prepared I was last time and I'd like to make a similar but more optimised build this time and see how well it does. Higher fortified health, more useful shouts, a better weapon with lots of frost damage, a mace with the armour ignoring perks and some useful perks like reflect blows and disarming bash should make it more interesting this time.

Mostly I'd just like to see how the build fares against him!

T. Rakinson

A Brute among Beasts
Sticking with your frost enchant/Stalhrim theme, you COULD summon Karstaag to fight him. Though I understand getting that power is a challenge within itself...
Having never foughrt the EW before, My advice would be to just keep his attention away from you. Dragons, Daedra, whatever you can summon, just use it. Arniel Gane as a summon is an essential....
Also, dont think this has to be a 1v1 (minus summons). Bring a follower! They may not fight as well as you, but you can give them just as good gear. Pick a tough melee class, for the same reason as your summons. Make sure to Soul Trap and name a weapon after him!

Sah

I want to prepare my current character for this guy and try to beat him on the highest difficulty I can manage. At the moment I'm a level 50 one handed/shield Breton with good restoration ability and level 100 alteration. Moving forward, I'll likely make alteration legendary and not level it again (because it's mostly garbage and not going to have any use against TEW).

Hello my name is Sah, very new here 1 day old

this is how I killed him Level 108 & Legendary its in the video at the end
Mace: 411pts damage
Armor: 1285pts defense
Shouts: Etherial for defense, Slow time for attack

yours Sah

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
Just a quick bit of advice, but do not get far from him. He will use his paralyze bow and fuk you up! @-@

Make a bunch of poisons and always have a follower who you either don't care about or won't die. Don't forget to also use Conjuration.

Or you can do what I did and pickpocket his potions! :p
Then he is all yours! HAHAHAHA-hehehe...*clears throat*.

Last edited:

Daelon DuLac

Just a quick bit of advice, but do not get far from him. He will use his paralyze bow and fuk you up! @-@

Make a bunch of poisons and always have a follower who you either don't care about or won't die. Don't forget to also use conjugation.

Or you can do what I did and pickpocket his potions! :p
Then he is all yours! HAHAHAHA-hehehe...*clears throat*.
Conjugation? Does he have bad grammar? :) (I'm just kidding, I thought it was funny).

Latest posts