• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Neal Zabriski

Hello, Skyrim Forums. I am not very vested in the lore of Skyrim so I would like to know a bit more about the StormCloaks and Imperials.

Why are they fighting?

Who or what are they fight for?

Are there benefits for joining either faction?

Will certain people attack you on sight if you join the opposing faction? Example: If I am a Stormcloak will Imperials attack me?

Thank you very much.

Kasha

I would like to know this as well, so i can be the goodish guy

Stone

Retired Moderator
No one really has the information of that, but read this page I found it has alot of useful information that you might find interesting. :D. Click here.

Kasha

doesnt tell us much!

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
Stormcloaks are fighting to protect Nordic culture. After the Great War between the Thalmer and the Imperial Empire which was 30 years before TES: Skyrim was set, the Empire signed the White Gold Concordant (something like that) which meant the Worship of Talos was forbidden. The Thalmer believe Talos shouldn't be worshipped as he is just a man. Then, after the Great War, Markath came got taken over by the Forsworn Warriors, natives of the Reach so Ulfric Stormcloak said he would take Markoth back if the Empire let the Nords worship Talos again. The Empire agreed because they were weak and couldn't retake Markath themselves and did it in the hope the Thalmer wouldn't find out. So Ulfric Stormcloak and his men went into Markath and Nordically fluffed up the Forsworn and banished them into the wilds of the Reach. The Thalmer found out about the Talos worshipping Nords so the Empire arrested Ulfric Stormcloak and he felt betrayed by the Empire thus the Stormcloak rebellion started. Then Ulfric Stormcloak murdered the High King so he could make a claim for the Throne of Skyrim.

It's worth noting both sides have mutual hate for the Thalmer and most Stormcloaks fought for the Empire during the Great War.

Stone

Retired Moderator
Stormcloaks are fighting to protect Nordic culture. After the Great War between the Thalmer and the Imperial Empire which was 30 years before TES: Skyrim was set, the Empire signed the White Gold Concordant (something like that) which meant the Worship of Talos was forbidden. The Thalmer believe Talos shouldn't be worshipped as he is just a man. Then, after the Great War, Markath came got taken over by the Forsworn Warriors, natives of the Reach so Ulfric Stormcloak said he would take Markoth back if the Empire let the Nords worship Talos again. The Empire agreed because they were weak and couldn't retake Markath themselves and did it in the hope the Thalmer wouldn't find out. So Ulfric Stormcloak and his men went into Markath and Nordically fluffed up the Forsworn and banished them into the wilds of the Reach. The Thalmer found out about the Talos worshipping Nords so the Empire arrested Ulfric Stormcloak and he felt betrayed by the Empire thus the Stormcloak rebellion started. Then Ulfric Stormcloak murdered the High King so he could make a claim for the Throne of Skyrim.

It's worth noting both sides have mutual hate for the Thalmer and most Stormcloaks fought for the Empire during the Great War.
I think I sided with the Imperials.

Sebastián Piazza

Mother fluffer Jones
i still don't get it =S ... maybe someone can put some light into this matter? i'm really confused here...

Stone

Retired Moderator
i still don't get it =S ... maybe someone can put some light into this matter? i'm really confused here...
Skyrim has quite a complex story to be honest, it's quite hard to explain. Try searching around on google for answers. :)

Jack Fulham

Premium Member
The Stormcloaks are freedom fighters who want independence, the Empire need Skyrim or they will become very weak.

As Legate Rikke said "The Empire needs Skyrim as much as Skyrim needs the Empire".

Garrison

Are there benefits for joining either faction?

Will certain people attack you on sight if you join the opposing faction? Example: If I am a Stormcloak will Imperials attack me?

Does anyone have insight into these questions? Call me a merc, but I'm more interested in the perks than the background story!

BlackRat

The answer is this;

there is neither good nor evil in Skyrim beyond what you do. The choice between Imperial and Stormcloak is deliberately ambiguous. This is war, each side thinks they're right.

If you wanna be the good guy? Don't join either faction. Roam the countryside slaying dragons and saving people and finding their lost heirlooms. And for the record... (*minor spoiler*) your initial "who do I follow" choce doesn't have any real lasting impact on the game, beyond who you find in the first town you come across. You choose to join the factions later, if you wish. It isn't thrust upon you.

I like it this way... no black and white.

Ebony Knight

Lore Sword
Like they have noted its a very complicated history and the only way to even BEGIN having a grasp is to play through the game and develop an understanding. I'm level 28 and have not even hinted at which side I will choose. Don't misunderstand I have no intentions of remaining neutral but there is no clearly defined "good" side. The stormcloaks revere nordic culture and feel that nords should be allowed to live in and rule skyrim without outside interference. Lets consider them national extremists. They are the rebels in use of extreme tactics and winning at all costs. Ulfric killed the high king of skyrim Torryg as a symbol of revolt against the empire. In this he has made himself a traitor against skyrim as well. Essentially the stormcloaks desire nordic purity within skyrim.

The imperials seek stability within the empire. Basically they got their sss kicked by the high elves and as a result of that have agreed to assist the elven overlords, the thalmor, with persecuting the worship of the man-god Talos. Keep in mind that the empire still hate the thalmor reign but choose submission over destruction. The imperials stand for unity within the empire and the fight against tyranny.

Keep in mind that this is all inference of my own interpretation from the things I have heard, read, and otherwise learned through my travels. Hopefully this helps your understanding. Please anyone feel free to correct me

Swordsmansmith

Well being a High Elf if the Stormcloaks want Skyrim to be rid of all races but the Nords then I have to side with the Imperials.

Lespaul521

Yeah I'm an Imperial yet I helped the Stormcloaks who said they were happy with anyone to join their cause. Also if you go to Windhelm someone mentions that Ulfric tolerates everybody but favors the Nords.

As for the questions Im pretty sure there aren't any benefits unique to one side other than the armor. I'm not quite sure if the Imperials would attack you or not. Even if you are a Stormcloak general no one seems to know who you are. I know if you don't wear the faction armor they won't but I don't know what would happen if you do. I walked into an Imperial city wearing my Stormcloak armor and nobody seemed to care.

Kasha

I think ill join the stormcloaks, there the under dog, and every one loves the underdog, plus i am one the man/thing/object/only worth while solider that will save them.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts