Sports Sports Sports Sports

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Agreed about team management. You don't have to look any further than the 2008 Cowboys for what happens when you sacrifice team chemistry for talent. I'm sure I'm in the vast minority, but I'm on the Greg McElroy bandwagon. I was a huge fan of his when he was at Alabama, and actually wanted the Patriots to draft him late if we could (I even talked him up as the next Tom Brady lawl). Maybe I over exaggerated back then, but I really think McElroy can be a good starter. Maybe Joe Flacco/Alex Smith esque - not a guy that's carrying the team, but someone that can protect the ball and lead the offense down the field for a game winning drive.

I wont pretend to know much about college football, I was raised Notre Dame cus of my grandpa but I never really watched lol. But I do remember him getting some hype coming out. I won't speak on it anymore than that from a college standpoint though cus I don't believe in speaking on things I don't know. Might have been over exaggerating but that's good company to be in even so, Jets fans can only hope.

For what it's worth though... I would agree that I think McElroy at this point is the guy you have to give a chance either before the "OH pl*ps WHAT ARE WE GUNNA DO FOR QB?!" this offseason OR an understanding he has a chance to compete for starter if they decide to keep Sanchez, let go of Tebow, and of course keep McElroy (cus of course they're not getting rid of Sanchez after the Kobe Bryant-esque "Yeah I messed around with another, but here's heaps of money (or in Kobe's case diamonds) to make it all better!"). I will say though, I understand why they renamed Sanchez the starter, he is the veteran, he knows the system the best, he's getting the money, and all the BS reasons the Jets would throw out (including the public outrage that would ensue if you put McElroy in instead of Tebow, the Jets are learning the hard way what Denver had to deal with - AND I LIKE TEBOW). I will say this about Sanchez though, I think he's over-nurtured for sure at times, but he's also over-blamed at times as well. I already said I don't think he's a starter; BUT, you have no run game, your receiving crew is.... well... crap, what can you do. Sanchez strength is play action, right? Well that don't work to well when your run game is inconsistent at best. He definitely has a lot of room for improvement to put it nicely.... but I don't think everything he's blamed for is always his fault.

The Jets find themselves in a precarious situation AGAIN (surprise surprise) this offseason. You got a QB you gave money to that he doesn't come close to playing up to. You got another QB people LOVE but he's not nearly good enough to lead an offense the Jets hope to lead (why I don't know I think putting Tebow in and letting him run options would solve a lot of issues right now as is). And another QB who is a rookie (well going into his second year at that point) and deserves a chance - but they could justify not doing so saying "We're gunna let him ride the bench to learn a bit more," and that's just at QB. Not even taking into account the run game, receivers, contracts coming up, players getting older, coaching.

IMO what happens is... Tebow is gone, Sanchez is still started, McElroy competes in pre-season but loses to Sanchez's experience. Jets have another mediocre year after bringing in an past his prime or over-hyped receiver, and Rex Ryan is all the hot seat all year, and if they're sub-.500 he's gone, as well as Sanchez. Which McElroy better hope either a) Sanchez gets hurt/plays so poorly that and he gets a chance to show he's the better option b) Whoever comes in doesn't bring their own guy either from another team or through the draft or c) Sanchez goes but Rex stays.

Rambled again but let me just end with: Thank god for Darrelle Revis, I got no idea how he stays here but praise the lord he does cus I wouldn't blame him for being on the first Jet (no pun intended) out of here if so chose.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
The thing people forget about Tebow at Denver is that he did do a better job than the guy he replaced. I'm no Tebow fanboy by any means but he did get them to the playoffs while they would have had at least five more losses with Orton. Id like to see Tebow on a team that will play to his strength instead of just signing him for publicity. Granted he'll probably never be successful "traditional" QB. But he is a threat to score when he has the ball.

Brizzle Kicks

Welcome To The Underground
I just had one of the best weekends I've had in ages, went up to see City beat Sheffield Wed at Hillsborough 3-2 we were 2-1 down with 11 minutes to go but scored 2 late goals to seal a vital 3 points. Bristol Rovers
gasmask.gif
lost 1-0 at home and look good to get relegated and I won a treble bet on Everton, Man U and Liverpool all wining today which pretty much paid for my weekend.

Clau

The Fateless One
After Tebowing comes Kaepernicking?

8066870_vtf.jpg

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
I only quickly glanced through the thread, but am I the only one kinda confused at the BCS selection system?Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl??? South Carolina in the Outback Bowl?? How did THAT happen? You have GOT to be kidding me (of course I'm angry cause I'm a HUUUUUUUGE South Carolina fan...but dude).

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I only quickly glanced through the thread, but am I the only one kinda confused at the BCS selection system?Northern Illinois in the Orange Bowl??? South Carolina in the Outback Bowl?? How did THAT happen? You have GOT to be kidding me (of course I'm angry cause I'm a HUUUUUUUGE South Carolina fan...but dude).

I think this pretty much sums up the BCS http://themonkeycage.org/blog/2008/12/09/bcs_declares_germany_winner_of

After Tebowing comesKaepernicking?

I think this little number by stafford might take off
Staffording_zps0c5444d9.jpeg

Samgurl and I seem to have got what we wanted with McElroy becoming the starter. Sanchez is just not "all that" and I've questioned management enough so I won't go into that again but I will say this: Giving him that "I'm sorry baby, you're still my #1" money when they got Tebow was ridiculous and may end up the reason they get stuck with him.

Tebow undoubtedly is gone after this season and I can't blame him, wish him the best and will pull for him wherever he goes (long as its not the Steelers, forget them, I for one am expecting the Jaguars or less likely the Bills). I've thought long and hard about this and I've come to the conclusion that one of the biggest criticisms of the Tebow move was "It was only for publicity" I disagree with that. I will agree that publicity was ABSOLUTELY PART OF IT, but not all of it. Tebow was bought in cus Sporano had the majority of his success in Miami with the Wildcat. I think they intended to use Tebow as that cus Sanchez is nowhere near as mobile as Tebow, but they soon realized they got themselves into a bunch of plops with it in both the media and with the team for numerous reasons. From the messing with the flow of the QBs to the public relations.

Now with the talk that Sanchez is DONE who are they talking about bringing in? Michael Vick. Umm....
Now I like Michael Vick, I've let go of what he did, I don't condone it but he served his time and seemingly became a better man but this man hasn't played a full season in how many years? Not to mention his contract is ridiculous. They site Philly's poor O-Line as a reason it didn't work there and will work here. Lol... Vick is still made of paper-mache. I hope if they do go down that road it works out cus I love my Jets but I don't see it, and I'm not convinced management does either. In a perfect world we trade Sanchez, bring in a solid backup, give McElroy a year (if he plays well enough to constitute if he's absolutely abysmal then yes, go for someone new and hope he can grow as a backup), and start relatively fresh at QB. Save the money Vick would cost get a reliable #1 receiver, and maybe another more consistent RB and let's get moving again while the defense is still one of the more talented ones in the league, and even they're not getting any younger.

The sad thing is I'd be willing to bet money if they didn't get Tebow this year they wouldn't have benched Sanchez this week. Even if it wasn't for Tebow, they could've shrugged McElroy starting off as a rookie but they been dealing with "Make the switch" heat all season.

Jets will forever be a clusterfluff... well theres always my other teams... oh yeah.. they're bummy too :sadface:

Well that was short lived Sanchez is starting again lol.

If the Jets don't get a new QB in the offseason I hope for my own amusement they sign Jamarcus Russell and every bad pass Sanchez throws they put Russell in for one play to show him "We have someone we can pay less too who can do the same plops" lol

Grelod The Kind

What are your favourite sports?
Swimming, Diving, Water Polo, Synchronized Swimming, Rowing, Nordic Skiing
Do you play any sports?
NCAA Division 1 Swimmer, currently training for Rio 2016, also play Water Polo recreationally. I do Nordic and XC Run as crosstraining for swimming in the Winter and Summer, respectively.
What sporting teams do you follow?
Gophers Swim and Dive, Gophers Rowing, Yale Swim and Dive, Stanford Swim and Dive, Berkeley Swim and Dive, US National Team Swim and Dive, US Synchro, Edina Gators Swimming
Who do you think will win the Big Ten Championships in Swimming? NCAA championships?
Minnesota Gophers all the way! Honestly I'm extremely proud to be a gopher and I think both teams - men and women - are going to get first place in Big Ten! We did that last year, and this year we're hosting the Big Ten meet, so I think we're going to really shine in our home pool. NCAA championships are down in Indiana and while honestly I think the Gophers are going to do really well, Cal Trojans look like they're going to get top honors.

Clau

The Fateless One
Can barely keep up with all these new football transfers. Things can only heat up as Barca's Villa wants to move to Arsenal.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
Can barely keep up with all these new football transfers. Things can only heat up as Barca's Villa wants to move to Arsenal.

And how glad am I that Chelsea signed Ba. That should boost our forward line by quite a bit and then some.

Brizzle Kicks

There has already been some good transfers Daniel Sturridge to Liverpool was a good move if not a little expensive he is never worth 11m more like 8m max. Joe Cole going back home to West Ham is another good move and I can't get my head round the Ba transfer 7m or 7.5m depending who you believe of that 5m went to Newcastle 2-2.5m went straight into Ba's back pocket nice job if you can get it.

I do like the silly season though there is always some cracking rumours floating about of player x joining team y all will reveal itself soon though. All I know is I hope Bristol City sack our manager he is worse than useless doesn't start our best players uses weird ass formations and unless he goes we are going down. But I like to look at the positves at least I was born south of the river and I'm not a Bristol Rovers fan.

Brizzle Kicks

Things are hotting up in England, Chelsea are after Pep Guardiola and will break the bank too get him it's a good move if you ask me. Mario Balotelli could be on his way to AC Milan, Wesley Sneijder wants a move to the English Preimership but no-one knows who too yet it will be either Man U, Man C, Chelsea, Arsenal or Liverpool. David Villa is not leaving Barcelona but Spurs are close to signing Alvaro Negredo from Seville for 15m and Liverpool have offered Turkish club Fenerbahce £9m for Senegalese striker Moussa Sow, 26.

But by far the biggest news story coming out of England is that Bristol City have signed highly rated 22yr old Liam Kelly from Killmarnock welcome to Bristol son. BBC Sport - Highlights - Liam Kelly montage

AS88

Staff member
I don't know if you read the Mirror a few days ago Brizzle Kicks, but there was a piece by Lawro about Demba Ba. The player has pretty much admitted that he had no feelings for Newcastle, he asked his brother (who is his agent) who had made the best offer, so he went there.

It's the same with Chelsea. Ba has said that he's just in it for the money, but aren't they all? He's become one of my favourite players in the Prem after actually talking straight and owning up to his motivations. I hope he goes and replaces Torres now, £50m was always a ridiculous fee and he's done nothing but sulk.

I've lost interest in the football since I've followed basketball, but I still like to keep up with transfers, etc. If I had to pick a team, it'd be Man Utd, followed by Arsenal for their style. I'm a Lincolnshire lad though, so I follow Sfuzzy kittenhorpe Utd first and foremost.

Main sport for me now is basketball, I follow the NBA online and watch the highlights whenever I can. My cousin lives in San Francisco now, so I kind of support the Golden State Warriors as my 'home' team, but ever since the Clippers confirmed they would draft Blake Griffin, I have been firmly on the Clippers bandwagon.

I've played basketball at 6th form college, and captained the team in my final year, and I've played for the first team for the University of Lincoln for three years. I would be still playing for them this year, but I'm on the long term injury list for my knee. So, I've gone into coaching instead, hoping to get my Level 1 basketball coaching qualification sometime over the next few months. :)

Brizzle Kicks

Like I said about Ba nice work if you can get it, Torres has never and will never be same player he was at Liverpool after that knee injury he got, Chelsea got there pants pulled down and took up the wrong un paying 50m. I don't agree with how the premiership is all about money now and how clubs can drain as much money as possible out of the average fan Arsenal charging £66 a game to watch them play is a f###ing joke. Don't get me wrong I would love it if City got there but it's all becoming about the prawn sandwich brigade now and it does put me off. I do have a cheeky flutter every now and then on the results that keeps me intrested like this weekend going for a Man U, Arsenal double and I also have a team in a fantasy football leauge as well but I'm not into as much as I was when I was younger.

I watch a bit of American sport mainly boxing a bit of mma and American football never been a huge fan of basketball I did play it in school though and I was plops so that's probably why.

AS88

Staff member
Yeah exactly, knee injuries are often really difficult to come back from, I should know haah. I totally agree, the real clubs, especially outside of the Prem (and even Championship in some cases) are just totally money driven, and pay little attention to the fans. And those clubs who are interested in their fans, like Sfuzzy kittenhorpe claim to be, don't have the funds to actually improve the club. It seems like you have to choose between money or a properly-run club these days.

A mate of mine loves the accumulators, he once put £3 on about 10 results and they all went his way, pocketed nearly a grand, he's wasted it all trying again since though :p

Yeah, it's a shame basketball isn't properly taught or encouraged in the UK. We've just had our Olympic funding cut altogether (from £8m/yr) so I can't see it getting much better yet. The coaching was so poor at my school, I was the only one with an idea, so I coached the team myself when I was in Year 11, and I only picked up a ball in Year 9. That's why I'm going into coaching, because I know the difference it makes, even if it's just an hour a fortnight, the kids that want to get better will get better.

Brizzle Kicks

Fair play to you taking the time out teaching others, I forgot to say I've been to Glanford park a few times the last time was a few years ago when we won 2-0 I like your ground nice and compact and easy to get away after the game we parked just down from TGI Fridays is it? the restaurant just outside the ground. You had Christian Ribeiro off us a decent right back but he was the same as Torres and had some bad injuries, his first game for us he snapped his ACL after about 20 mins I could hear him scream from the stands felt sorry for the lad but good to see him getting some regular games under his belt for you now.

AS88

Staff member
Yeah Glanford Park is okay, they were considering building a whole new stadium when we were in the Championship a few years ago, we've still got terraces so they were panicking about the reaction to making some of the fans sit down because of the regulations. Glad they didn't do it now though, Steve Wharton's stepping down as Chairman but there's no takers, and we'll be lucky to stay in League 1 this season.

Frankie and Benny's? I know exactly where you mean, a lot of fans just park where they can, it's a bit of a bottleneck when you get to the roundabout off the motorway, with the matchday traffic, the retail park and one of the main roads coming out of town. But yeah, it is good for travelling fans. My brother lives ten minutes walk away from the ground, so I just go to his then walk down, much better that way. :)

Irish

Thane of Solitude
As my username suggests, I am a huge Notre Dame sports fan (I spent seven years in good ol' South Bend, IN), so the outcome of last Monday's BCS National Championship game was utterly depressing.

My favorite teams and the ones I'm most knowledgeable about are the Chicago Bears, Chicago Bulls, Chicago Cubs (it's rough being a Cubs fan, let me tell you), and the Univ. of Notre Dame.

The Jets are gunna suck for years to come. Not worth talking about right now.

Some GREAT games so far this postseason, especially today. I find myself pulling for the Ravens hoping Ray Lewis gets that ring before he retires.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts