• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Travis

So my favorite feature of Oblivion was the ability to create your own spells. I used an invisible burn spell a lot, as a way to do damage, but remain in stealth. What spells did you guys create? Does anyone know if Skyrim will have spell creation? I am assuming it does. What spells do you guys look forward to creating?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I think they removed spell creation. In my opinion it’s a retarded feature anyway when your spells only differ in their stats and don’t have unique characteristics. So I will certainly not miss it and am glad that they focused their resources elsewhere.

I loved making my own spells the funniest ones were overpowered ones what would just own everyone in your way I called it “Ownage”
Actual name

Travis

Yeah. I had a lot of fun with one-shot-one kill spells. There wasn't much more satisfying than sneaking up on an suspecting foe, reaching out your hands, touching him in the back, and all your mana drains, and he just drops dead on the spot. Tons o' fun :)

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
It was a fun but game-breaking feature. I'm glad it's gone now. Hopefully, the spells are much more interesting to compensate for this. Also, there will still be extended magic mod so it's not really much of a loss. I will miss you spell-making but you broke the game too far.

Travis

Dang. Honestly that is really disappointing to hear. I think there were lots of "features" that a player could use to "break" the game in Oblivion. I like that it was up to the player to decide if they were going to ruin it for themselves, or use the features to get creative, and have fun. Well, we'll see how it plays out.

It seems like the devs keep saying things like this. Like spears, levitate, and recall from Morrowind, and now spell creation from Oblivion. I wonder what the games will be like in the future if they keep removing some of the most creative elements.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Dang. Honestly that is really disappointing to hear. I think there were lots of "features" that a player could use to "break" the game in Oblivion. I like that it was up to the player to decide if they were going to ruin it for themselves, or use the features to get creative, and have fun. Well, we'll see how it plays out.

It seems like the devs keep saying things like this. Like spears, levitate, and recall from Morrowind, and now spell creation from Oblivion. I wonder what the games will be like in the future if they keep removing some of the most creative elements.
But they also add more stuff. There's dual wielding, dragon shouts, equipping magic system, perks and many other miscellaneous features. Don't just look at the features they removed but also the features that they added. Some features seem more appropriate at certain time while others aren't. They don't always go together too.

Travis

That's true. Though the perks almost directly replace the lost attribute points, which was taken out. I guess I just resist change... but it's hard to see your favorite feature of a game removed in the next version. Like you say though, there will be other content, plus mods. I know I'm gonna love the game either way, so that's the important thing :) I'm really looking forward to checking out the dragon shouts.

Flamingtaco

Just as long as I don't have to purchase these "unique and powerful spells" I will be happy. I never tried out spell making but it seemed a little pointless if you had already bought high level spells, but useful to avoid buying them I guess.

Travis

You still had to pay for them, to create them, but it let you be really creative with it. For instance, I created a "Panic button" series of spells, that would make me invisible and heal me at the same time. Or at higher level, Invisible, heal, and speed, so you could easily make an escape from a tricky situation. Or lets just say you needed some time for your mana to recharge, your not in danger, but you are running low on juice, you could make a spell that would slow the enemies, or make you invisible/invulnerable, and increase your mana recharge rate. Or if you were attacking, you could combine a health drain, with heafty damage. You could drain a lot of health if it was only for one second... so then you could follow that with a lot of damage right behind the drain, and make a one-shot-one kill spell. It was all about the creativity.

Flamingtaco

Oh that actually does sound really useful. I like that you can sort of chain together ordinary spells. How can you make a one hit kill? Would that like drain all yur magicka?

Travis

Yep, but if you tack on a few second of invisibility you can fade right back into the shadows, and recharge... or go melee after that. It's also really useful when encountering single foes, which actually happens a lot more often than you might think in Oblivion.

Flamingtaco

Yep, but if you tack on a few second of invisibility you can fade right back into the shadows, and recharge... or go melee after that. It's also really useful when encountering single foes, which actually happens a lot more often than you might think in Oblivion.
The problem is that stealth didnt really work that well. If you are completely hidden and you shoot an arrow at an enemy, he will instantly know where you are and come to kill you.

Travis

Yeah, it was a little glitchy. Once you got to higher levels though, it was more consistent. You sit back in the shadows and pump them full of arrows until they died, and they would run around like headless chickens trying to find you.

Flamingtaco

Ehh, it will work well in skyrim anyway. From the previews I've read, stealth seemed to be much more refined an experience.

Travis

@taco I'm glad stealth will be better. Hopefully they learned from great games like AC and Batman.

@Sheogorath You missed out man. It was really a great outlet for creativity. Unless you only like playing warrior tanks, this was a great feature, which I'm finding people seem to have largely overlooked.

Flamingtaco

@taco I'm glad stealth will be better. Hopefully they learned from great games like AC and Batman.
Actually I don't really like the stealth so much in either of those. I'd prefer something more like splinter cell where light and dark really matter.

Travis

Well, I like the slower more calculated style if that's what you mean, but technically, the newer splinter games haven't been too stealthy... I don't want it to end up like that.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts