• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Tusck

So when I first heard that there was no longer an athletics skill, I was bummed, because I like making my thief really fast. However, last night I heard that speed will be based on your equipment, so if you wear LA and carry daggers, you will be much faster than a HA wearer with a huge axe. I actually really like that system a lot. We've had plenty of discussion here about realism, and I think this was a great chance.

Thoughts?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Agreed. While I think that strength (does this still exist?) should normally play a role as well, the weight of the stuff that you are carrying is the main factor. In my opinion it’s not such a great idea to abandon stats altogether but this is an almost acceptable substitute solution of how speed is determined.

Tusck

Strength no longer exists, actually none of the attributes exist, so as far as a know, it's just the weight. However, it could be that different types of material give different weights, like steel might weight more than iron, which weights more than glass. Not sure about that though.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Obviously. Though I doubt that they scripted that. The weight of each item is probably set manually and so the difference in weight between different materials will just come naturally.

Mikk

Article Writer
I too used to take great pleasure in levelling up my speed and athletics to zip around the battlefield easier in full gear, so this will probably annoy the hell out of me at first. It does create a more realistic, immersive effect, so I'm not too bummed. :)

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Athletics and Acrobatics were really weird skills from oblivion. The skill increased no matter what you do so it was really silly. Not to mention they were boring skill overall... Athletics just gave me fatigue regeneration boost while acrobatics gave you higher jumps. Well, acrobatics did give some dodging abilities but I think that mechanic wasn't well done. I never really used dodge in the game. I think dodge is still in the game though. I'm not sure which skill it belongs to but I'd like to see how well dodging is implemented in the game.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not too in favour of this. People are just going to get naked when they want to travel :<

Cole

Mythik
If you find that you enjoy playing using Heavy Armor, or even with Light Armor, you can pick up Alteration and get a minor Feather spell to increase your ability to carry items. Hopefully that will still make you lighter and faster?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
If you find that you enjoy playing using Heavy Armor, or even with Light Armor, you can pick up Alteration and get a minor Feather spell to increase your ability to carry items. Hopefully that will still make you lighter and faster?
Yea, I remember a mod in oblivion that made feather even more useful and made burden less worthless. Basically, feather made you move faster, depending on how much encumbrance you have left and burden actually made enemies slower.
There's probably more ways to increase your speed in Skyrim but I'll have to say equipment will be the biggest factor. It's kind of weird since this implies that big buff warrior will run as fast as a lean agile assassin if they are wearing the same equipment. Since they took out attributes, oh well. Let the perks handle it I guess

Cole

Mythik
Maybe potions could factor in somewhere here too. New Alchemy potions and whatnot to increase your strength and ability to carry equipment, or to increase your agility.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
I'm not too in favour of this. People are just going to get naked when they want to travel :<
Errr ... why? They still have to stash their clothing somewhere and its weight wouldn’t just vanish. The only benefit that might have is that you could avoid any (if existing) debuffs of heavy armor that would slow you down if you were wearing it.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
Errr ... why? They still have to stash their clothing somewhere and its weight wouldn’t just vanish. The only benefit that might have is that you could avoid any (if existing) debuffs of heavy armor that would slow you down if you were wearing it.

So even if you get naked and have the armour in your inventory it still feels like you have armour on?

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
So even if you get naked and have the armour in your inventory it still feels like you have armour on?
No but you still had to carry that weight and would be slower as a result. As I wrote, the only advantage might be that your joints and the like might be less restricted when not wearing heavy armor so that could give you a small benefit.

Cole

Mythik
No but you still had to carry that weight and would be slower as a result. As I wrote, the only advantage might be that your joints and the like might be less restricted when not wearing heavy armor so that could give you a small benefit.
I agree with you. Taking off your armor and being able to run faster when you would have to put it in your inventory seems rather stupid. You still have to carry it with you as you travel, so why wouldn't it still encumber you some?

Sheogorath

Cheese for everyone.
I really liked putting the grey fox hood on and the starting clothes from the dark brotherhood, that would make me run like no other.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts