Speaking with Silence glitch has ruined this game for me.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Derek Holden

While doing the series of quests associated with the Thieves Guild, specifically the one entitled "Speaking with Silence," I have come across a major flaw that has prevented any further progress in both the Thieves Guild story and the main quest. Once I've fought my way through Snow Veil Sanctum and arrived at the door that looks just like the one that paired with the Golden Claw before, the game comes to a screeching halt. Mercer Frey, the leader of the Thieves Guild is supposed to be able to open the door, but rather than do anything productive, he does nothing but stand there. After pushing him to the door and restarting and reloading countless times with no results, I thought "Well screw the Thieves Guild!" and went off to quest elsewhere. The problem is now that Mercer Frey WONT STOP FOLLOWING ME! He tails me everywhere I go, ridiculing me for "stopping" and being too "noisy." At first, it was bearable because he'll fight anyone who attacks me, and he's invincible. Having an invincible bodyguard has its perks, and I blew through a lot of quests with extreme ease, but now I am trying to do the main quest. I am at the quest entitled "The Fallen" where I have to call Oodahvin and trap him in Dragonsreach. The only problem is that when I call the dragon, I can't lure him into the trap because he will stay at the end of the balcony fighting Mercer Frey to no end since neither of them can die. Can anyone give me any kind of insight on how I can complete "Speaking with Silence" and get Mercer Frey off my back? I play on the PS3.

uncle_vito19

I'm in a similar boat, but on PC.

When I get to that same room, where he's supposed to open the door, he just starts attacking me for no reason. If I walk past a certain point toward the puzzle, he attacks me. If I try to speak to him, he attacks me. I've tried reloading several older saves, nothing works. This is BS, and I want my money back.

I feel like an idiot for buying a Bethesda game at launch. They're glitchy messes until at least 6 months after release, and even then, you're lucky if you can play for an hour without a quest-hampering glitch. I understand its a huge game and glitches are bound to happen, but such game-ending glitches are absolutely unacceptable. Now I can't touch a game I paid $60 for, for weeks to months until they release a patch.

Awesome J0sh

• I have the same problem for xbox. He wont open the door to unlock the snow veil sanctum. My last save is hours of replaying previous quests and I don't want him following me...

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I can't verify this because I'm playing the PC version and according to the bug notes on the uesp.net Skyrim wiki website this is an Xbox-only bug. The suggested workaround is to wait for an hour and walk back to the gate, which may reset Mercer so he will begin to walk slowly towards the puzzle.

Ntense22

I think i HAVE A FIX. I reloaded a save from before i went into snow viel. I told my follower to part ways. after that mercer opened the door. I think having a follower is the problem. as a remember seeing the message that my follower "cant follow me here" when i got to the door the 1st time. even though he wasnt with me and mercer inside.

I think i HAVE A FIX. I reloaded a save from before i went into snow viel. I told my follower to part ways. after that mercer opened the door. I think having a follower is the problem. as a remember seeing the message that my follower "cant follow me here" when i got to the door the 1st time. even though he wasnt with me and mercer inside.

THANKS!!!! You were dead on

damager71

I'm in the same boat. I've dismissed all followers, reloaded countless times, pushed him into door, etc. No dice. I'm about to give up on playing a game I've put hundreds of hours into due to this XBOX glitch. Any solutions?

Anyway to get a claw for this door or ANYTHING?

damager71

TTT

No one? I've reloaded back 15 levels in the game. Now mercer isn't interested in even opening the snow veil door... Any solutions to fix this glitch for XBOX?

Aroara

My fix - my followers and I left the snow veil door area and walked over to the fire, where we first met up with Brynholf. There I told my followers (Kosnach and the dog) to" wait here". They can't enter the quest with me anyway. When Brynholf and I returned to the door, he opened it right away, and I didn't have to completely dismiss my followers.

Zalcagon

Apologies for reviving an old forum post, but (pc) disabling him using console automatically opens the claw door. As the cutscene runs, you can then enable him again and everything should run as normal.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts