Someone explain the "ranger" archetype to me?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Waffles

Title basically.

What would a "ranger" be, do and use?

Will Olmen

Classically speaking a Ranger would wear light armor if any at all. One would never fast travel. Usually opting to travel by foot or horse. Archery would be a very important skill to have followed up closely by one-handed skills. Focusing on the sword. And weapons would have to be maintainable with minimal resources in the wild. So nothing fancy. Armor and clothing would be the same. Stealth would also be a precedent. Though theft would not be the objective so pickpocket is not to be focused on. And an understanding of the ingredients nature provides to produce anti-venoms, cures for diseases and health tonics would be wise for any ranger so Alchemy is a big deal too. Here's a decent Ranger type build:

Skills in order of Importance:
Archery
One-Handed
Stealth
Alchemy
Lockpicking
Block (No shield)
Light Armor

Recommended Equipment for a real Ranger:
Clothing or Fur Armor (The full kind that covers the body and would actually protect against cold)
Light Armor Gloves and Boots
A hood - Recommend finding or making one that ups archery to make this a practical in-game bit.
Iron or Steel Sword
Hunter's or Imperial Bow
Iron Arrows
Steel dagger

Sounds basic I know. But a Ranger is typically someone who lives a minimalist lifestyle. Realistically. You could go the way of a D&D ranger, wear whatever you want with enchantments aplenty. Get yourself some spells or shouts that call animals to aid you and use restoration powers to heal yourself by 'calling on the power of nature'. But then you'd just be a deity that happens to carry a bow.

jjay

^ i wasnt sure if he meant that kind of ranger.

In that case he/she could also collect and create their own potions and poisons, collect their own supplies ect, cook their own food, Find a shack somewhere and make that their home. Perhaps even create it as a self sustainable build (no trading with shops).

Will Olmen

Sell to shops. Artifacts and the like. Cause why not, really. There are a number of huts dotting the wild just waiting for someone to come along and claim them. Might have to kill some folk but just get it over with quickly and pretend like it didn't happen.

jjay

*SPOILER* Anises cabin was what i used for my hunting build, nice cabin with storage, alchemy table, enchanting table and an archery skill books. Somebody already lives there but she turns out to be a witch and attacks you so dont feel bad about stealing her shack.

Waffles

I don't really understand the differences, in role play games, between archer, ranger, thief, assassin, agent, hunter and rogue... I know they are similar but what makes each different?

jjay

Imo the back-story and personality of your character is which makes the difference between those types.

An Bosmer who grew up in a close knit group of elves, learned to hunt and gather from an early age ect would probably be described as a ranger or hunter.

An Imperial whos father taught him how to fight from an early age and trained him into the finest bowman in all of skyrim. In battle he doesn't sneak around and rains death down onto his enemies from a strategic position, would probably be described as an archer.

A sneaky khajiit who hides in the shadows and silently dispatches enemies from long range with his bow, while being a master of lockpicking and thieving, would probably be described as an assassin or thief.

A rouge could be used to describe a master of range and daggers who simple shoots enemies from afar then switches to daggers to mop up the remaining enemies. Which could be any build.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Will Olmen hit the nail right on the head. If you've read/seen Lord of the Rings, think Strider/Aragorn (pre-Return of the King). Or Faramir and his Rangers of Ithilien.

Also, I suggest sticking to leather-related light armor in the game. I only wear things I can upgrade using leather because I feel that my character would have a good understanding of how to utilize hide. I don't restrict myself to any specific weapon material, just because to keep a blade sharp, you just need a hand-sized sharpening stone.

And I recommend the Alchemist's Shack as a character home. It's small, has an end table (safe storage), a bed, and an alchemy table. Plus eventually, the alchemy ingredients strewn about the hut respawn.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
So then what would Legolas be?
It gets tricky because TES and Tolkien don't really match up.

I would say in Tolkien lore, Legolas is not a ranger because rangers are men. Outside of Tolkien in other lore, such as TES, he would probably be a definitive ranger class. In Lord of the Rings, Legolas is like your average Wood Elf; they're all kind of like him. He's probably considered one of their best warriors or something, though.

Though now I'm wondering if you were to create a Wood Elf in Skyrim if he would be a ranger...or simply a marksman/archer. I've never made a Bosmer, come to think of it.

Gearuvagen

I know, You know
I agree with Will Olmen & Hildolfr, In regards to the Alchemist's shack it is a great place to set up for a Ranger. As a fun little rule I only trade to Hunters I find on the road and always complete Kyne's Sacred trials and the Composer, Speed and Precision from Agni.

Also you can find Unenchanted hoods at Radiant Raiment thieves wear them too but I've been unable to take them from their bodies.

Good luck, it is a fun playstyle.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts