So what's the advantage of the Thief Stone?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Just started a new character: female, nord warrior using illusion and restoration

It is my intention to take her to TG and DB early on, but am wondering what the advantage of the Thief Stone as opposed to the Warrior Stone early on.

I had started with Thief, but it really didn't seem to contribute to the upping of Stealth very much (I switched to warrior and my stealth is upping just as quickly, but now I'm also upping archery and one-handed more quickly as well as light armor).

Thoughts?

Adam Warlock

For me it would depend on combat style.
Since the highest xp gains from the Thief Stone will come as a result of melee sneak attacks , if most of your fighting is going to be done while standing then I agree that the Warrior Stone is a better choice.

Daelon DuLac

For me it would depend on combat style.
Since the highest xp gains from the Thief Stone will come as a result of melee sneak attacks , if most of your fighting is going to be done while standing then I agree that the Warrior Stone is a better choice.
I do sneak attack a lot, but usually not until my sneak is actually high enough that they don't hear me coming. Thanks for the advice. When you're really low level it takes a little bit to get to the point where a backstab is actually worth it. Besides I archery snipe so many things, my sneak just creeps up AND I get archery points.

Lucid

I thought that Archery was considered a stealth skill, gaining benefit from the Thief Stone and not the Warrior Stone.

I thought that Archery was considered a stealth skill, gaining benefit from the Thief Stone and not the Warrior Stone.

Right. So I use sneak archery and try to get the 3x bonus perk as soon as possible.

Daelon DuLac

Right. So I use sneak archery and try to get the 3x bonus perk as soon as possible.
Archery is stealth? Really? Let me look it up. Be right back!

AS88

Staff member

Daelon DuLac

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
I usually used the Thief stone for my rogues simply because I find that Archery and Light Armor would otherwise level a bit too slow for my tastes.

I'd also assumed that archery and, at least at first, light armor were included under warrior; always explains why archery never quite increased as quickly as I thought it would.

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
I'm finally starting to plan to do Drunken's Penitus Oculatus agent build (Captain America movie made me want to play a spy so bad), so this thread was useful to me.

I guess I'll primarily use light armor and archery, so it makes sense to use the thief stone. At least until my sneak, armor, and archery are high enough. Also, considering how many times I'm sure I'll get into a straight sword fight because my sneak is low, my one-handed will probably level fairly quickly.

But I don't think any of the Guardian Stones are worth keeping past a certain level. A good night's sleep at home is just as useful, I think. I seem to always use the Lord stone for the magic resistance.

AS88

Staff member

Pete

Choosing a stone whose affect is always-on is great for beginners. Choosing a stone that's activated creates a new play style. :cool:

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
I was going to use the Thief Stone but someone stole it before I could.

AS88

Staff member

Hildolfr

It's a big hammer.
Where has that gone?

Wasn't a posted build, but an idea I threw up. Something I came up with, that is of course... lore correct. ;)
I'm sure you told us about it somewhere...

It was awhile back when the idea was posted in an "RP ideas" thread. I had bookmarked it for the future because I really loved the idea and I knew that eventually something would spark a real desire to play it.

http://skyrimforum.com/sf/threads/rp-ideas.41641/#post-750692

I'm going to adapt it for me and, shamefully, make it more like the Winter Soldier storyline. An excellent Penitus Oculatus agent during the Great War that gets captured, tortured with magic, and then basically brainwashed into being a Thalmor agent in Skyrim. Less intelligence gathering, more active assassinating. I was thinking the mission being to infiltrate the Dark Brotherhood in order to eventually assassinate the emperor or something. I'm still thinking it out, but I know that after I kill the emperor that's when he manages to snap out of the Thalmor daze and then works towards getting his revenge.

Something different and archery/sneak will be important, so I'm glad to know to go with the Thief Stone, but I think I knew that... :confused:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts