So, perhaps no more Skyrim DLC in store after all?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Docta Corvina

Kotaku has reported on a blog post by Bethesda today concerning DLC (or incoming lack of it). Unless this is a clever distraction or deliberate doubletalk, apparently they're "moving on" to the next game.

In a blog post today, Bethesda's Skyrim team writes that they're moving on: "For the last year and a half we’ve been working on new content for Skyrim; from the game updates, Creation Kit, Steam Workshop, Kinect support, to DLCs. Parts of our team have also been in pre-production on our next major project, and that game is at the point where it requires the studio’s full attention to make it our biggest and best work yet.

"Even though we’re moving on, we’ll still have minor updates to Skyrim as needed. We’ve invested so much of ourselves into Skyrim and will never truly say goodbye to it."

Does that mean no more downloadable content? Bethesda has released three DLC packs so far—Dawnguard, Hearthfire, and Dragonborn—and only Dragonborn really felt like the expansion pack-sized DLC promised by lead designer Todd Howard. We've reached out to Bethesda for confirmation, but it sure sounds like there's nothing else coming.

[Source]

[Link to aforementioned Beth Blog post]

...So, yeah. I suppose we'll see. We can always hope though. :p

UPDATE: It's been made officially official: NO MORE DLC COMING.

Tyer032392

Personally, I highly doubt that there won't be anymore DLC's for Skyrim as Skyrim at the moment is the cash cow for both Bethesda and their publisher. And the fact that we have another five or so years until the next Elder Scrolls game comes out if Bethesda is keeping with their pace means that Skyrim will get a few more DLC's. I also have severe doubts about the credibility of that source you provided because it is a website that I am not familiar with in terms of gaming websites like IGN, or any of the other major gaming networks which surely would of had an article on this by now. However, I did notice that there was an article from two months back that said because Bethesda had a lot of trouble getting Skyrim and its extensions to work on the PS3, they were going to be taking a break for a while, but neither confirmed or denied that there was not going to be anything else for Skyrim.

Docta Corvina

Personally, I highly doubt that there won't be anymore DLC's for Skyrim as Skyrim at the moment is the cash cow for both Bethesda and their publisher. And the fact that we have another five or so years until the next Elder Scrolls game comes out if Bethesda is keeping with their pace means that Skyrim will get a few more DLC's. I also have severe doubts about the credibility of that source you provided because it is a website that I am not familiar with in terms of gaming websites like IGN, or any of the other major gaming networks which surely would of had an article on this by now. However, I did notice that there was an article from two months back that said because Bethesda had a lot of trouble getting Skyrim and its extensions to work on the PS3, they were going to be taking a break for a while, but neither confirmed or denied that there was not going to be anything else for Skyrim.

Kotaku is a fairly prominent gaming website, though perhaps not as much so as IGN. However, I did link the Beth Blog post, which is one of Bethesda's official update venues. It's all straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. ;) No need to take Kotaku's word for it.

Docta Corvina

Beth didn't say literally "no more DLC", but what they did say is that they are shifting and have shifted their creative attention heavily to their next game project. And I wouldn't necessarily count "minor updates" as anything substantial in terms of DLC.

Tyer032392

Beth didn't say literally "no more DLC", but what they did say is that they are shifting and have shifted their creative attention heavily to their next game project. And I wouldn't necessarily count "minor updates" as anything substantial in terms of DLC.

Which pretty much confirms what I read in that one article post about Bethesda "Taking a break from Skyrim for a while". I guess with all the mess that went on with the PS3 version of Skyrim, they got burned out and decided to shift their focus on their new title which most likely is the new Fall Out title. However, I do not think Bethesda is done with Skyrim as of yet, they still have a lot to cover for the Dragonborn in terms of the Thalmor, the next Great War, extc. I would not be surprised to see that after this new game is released, we will start seeing more DLC's for Skyrim in the works as at that point, Bethesda can split their attention between the two titles.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
On one hand it kinda sucks. But if that project their moving onto is Fallout 4. I'll be okay.

Docta Corvina

Which pretty much confirms what I read in that one article post about Bethesda "Taking a break from Skyrim for a while". I guess with all the mess that went on with the PS3 version of Skyrim, they got burned out and decided to shift their focus on their new title which most likely is the new Fall Out title. However, I do not think Bethesda is done with Skyrim as of yet, they still have a lot to cover for the Dragonborn in terms of the Thalmor, the next Great War, extc. I would not be surprised to see that after this new game is released, we will start seeing more DLC's for Skyrim in the works as at that point, Bethesda can split their attention between the two titles.

I too absolutely feel like there is unfinished business, especially when it comes to the civil war/Thalmor stuff. I personally wouldn't at all be surprised if the next ES game is where that material is addressed.

Aniratak

http://www.bethblog.com/

You can read the same thing here - On Bethesda's own blog. It stings a bit when you read it.. =( I got the feeling that they mean to tell us they are done with the game.

And I have the feeling that the new big project is Fallout.. So no more TES for a while I guess. =( =(
They say they have minor updates.. But thats all. I don't think minor updates is a DLC..

"Even though we’re moving on, we’ll still have minor updates to Skyrim as needed. We’ve invested so much of ourselves into Skyrim and will never truly say goodbye to it."

I want to go cry for a few minutes now. :confused:

Scarheart

"Eternity isn't forever."
New_Spider_Man_Set_Photo_Shake_That_Moneymaker_1296846704.jpg

So much unfinished..So much left undone .__________. *sob*
Oh well, guess it will be another 4-6 years before we learn of TES:6 .

Hopefully there everything else will be followed up on.

Tyer032392

A sad day indeed. I suppose the next Elder Scrolls game will also feature the Dovahkiin, or at least I hope so. only time will tell though. I myself believe that after this new title is released, Bethesda will make a few more DLC's for Skyrim, if they have not already announced the next Elder Scrolls game by than that is.

Tyer032392

Heck, the worst part of the whole situation is that Legendary skill set that they implemented which was suppose to be for something else in an upcoming DLC, not sure what though. So, I guess the legendary skill is now just wasted space.

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
Not suprized. I listened to that interview with Pete Hines the other day and I could almost read between the lines. He said something to the effect of "What fans have to realize is that at some point you have to stop. A game can only become so big that it can't become any bigger". I think Skyirm Has kind of hit that. You can't make whole new Provinces like Hammerfell or Blackmarsh on to them (He said something about that as well) and have them be just as great and work properly.

It did have to stop somewhere. They have to start focusing on other things. It is all nice and neat to say they are going to make 10 DLC's in the future when it first releases (Which they didnt say), but with all the Breaks, fixes and lost sleep from 1 and a half years later, it's just time to move on.

Skyrim was truly Great, and a wonderful step up from Oblivion, as that was a Step of from Morrowind, etc. I'm still playing it, and I didn't keep playing Oblivion after 6 months.

As for the Lore, SO much happens in the Lore outside the games that we end up reading out in Books in the next one. I'm not suprised that the Thalmor problem will carry out after Skyrim and the Dragonborne and have nothing to do with them.

The only problem with Skyrims Story that I see (DLC or not) is that the writters have kind of created another "Warp in the West" type of senerio (See Book "Warp in the West" :D ).

Did the Imperials regain Skyrim? Did the Storm Cloaks Succeed? Did the Blades Fall out from Memory? Did the Dark Brotherhood become extinct or florish? Did the Emperor really die? Wha-happen?!?!

I have a feeling that we will find an ingame book in the next game saying something about a Dragon Break from the fall of Alduin. (See "Dragon Break" http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:Dragon_Break)

Whatever the case, It was nice to have a whole new group of fan's chatting about another great game. Perhaps all the New Fans that came on line for Skyrim will be schooling the next "New Fans" during the next game about History and Lore as well :D

example:
New TES: Black Marsh Fan: Ooh I wanna know what happend to the Dwemer. Come on Bethesda Give us a DLC!!
Old Veteran Skryim Fan: Heck no you ain't getting that. That would be horrible. We haven't gotten that for years and we aren't just because you show'd up.

....:cowboy:

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
You know what, that would be a funny Thread:

"What Skyrim Fans will argue over in the next Elderscrolls Game"

Maybe the Storm Cloaks remain but become more of a Political figure head representing the region in other provinces,

And the Argumements would go like this:

New TES VI: Black Marsh player: The Storm Cloaks are Such Wimps. They pay everyone else to fight their own battles and have no back bone. That's why I joined the Hist.

Old Skryim Player: Kid you don't know what your talking about. The Storm Cloaks have always been honorable and tried to do the best for their people.

New TES VI: Black Marsh Player: Yeah, well they tried to execute me as a political traitor by mistake right as I started the game. That mean's they are EVIL!

......Oh such delicious irony can only be dreamed about...... :D

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts