1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

Sneak Archer Guide

Discussion in 'Skyrim Guides and Tutorials' started by Byronb81, Dec 21, 2011.

?

What is your choice for armor your archer?

1. Heavy Armor

7.5%
  2. Light Armor

88.7%
  3. Nekkid

3.8%
  1. Nathalean

Nathalean Professional Vampire Ninja

Well, I just started a Bosmer vampire assassin on master difficulty and the combo we are talking about is basically my bread and butter since you don't start with 100 points in one-handed weapons or the ability to upgrade your weapons to the max.

As an assassin you are heavily reliant on one-shot killing your targets. good luck with that not using the maximum dmg combo on master :D (I see your point though.)

2. M'aiqaelF

M'aiqaelF Male, 32 years old, Denver area, CO

I have an archer/mage combo character and I use a mixture of clothing and light armor; for sneaking: cicero's hat, cicero's clothing, ancient db gloves, cicero's boots, ring of sneaking, and necklace of sneaking; for archery: ancient db shroud, ciceros' clothing, orcish gauntlets of archery, ring of archery. Then I have gear for magicka regen/destro cost reduction for a real firefight!

3. Get Sm0ked

Get Sm0ked Alea Iacta Est

agreed lol

4. Get Sm0ked

Also in all honesty, archery and stealth does not matter end game if you REALLY want a god set.

Both my 1st 2 dragon born were stealth archers and when the bonus of x3 is good (early - mid levels) you can kill just about anything with the right equipment.

During the late levels i usually find light armor too lilted and weak, it simply does not offer enough defense for the heavy armor perks such as Conditioning: Heavy armor weighs nothing when worn and does not slow you down when sprinting.

That is the main reason for not taking light armor and archery. But also later game you will encounter very tough (No matter the difficulty) foes comparable to your earlier enemies. Your bow can simply not reload fast enough to sustain damage, all the while you are getting butchered.

I know one-handed (daggers preferably) is the way people attempt to counter this problem (as I tried swell) but since you did not take your early perks in one-handed, you will be struggling CONSTANTLY. this is a problem I encountered and it eventually led me to taking a step back completely from stealth classes of all kind. Just my advice as an experienced Skyrim player. I am not trolling

5. ShadowGambit

ShadowGambit Active Member

Well, light or heavy armor doesn't really matter if you are fully enchanted and upgraded.

Granted that the Heavy Armor will get you to the cap earlier. But my elven armor gives me 656 (89 pts over the cap) armor rating and I only have Agile Defender 1, Custom fit, Unhindered and Wind Walker as perks in the Light armor tree I do have 100 light armor though.

I use 4 pieces of apparel +29% smithing and potion of fortify Smithing +147% though.

As I said, Heavy armor will get you to the cap earlier, but at higher level if you have your crafting skilled fully developped, it doesn't really matter what armor line tree you use, you can reach the cap. And in both case your armor will weight nothing.

You can even reach the cap with HIDE ARMOR, if you have Agile Defender 3/5, custom fit and matching set + full smithing - 587 armor rating, 20 over the cap.

My legendary Elven Bow firing Daedric arrows is doing 1274 damage WITHOUT the sneak perk. I have 4 pieces of armor +48% Fortify Archery and Marksman potion +147%. With the sneak attack, it is 3822 damage. Should be enough to one shot EVERYTHING, even in the end game

Note : Archery damage changed with patch 1.5. Arrows damage are now calculated IN THE FORMULA, and not at the end anymore. SO it benefits from the Overdraw/Enchantment/Marksman potion multiplier. That makes a HUGE difference in damage.

Every archer should now hunt for Daedric arrows, even more than before.

EDITED: it looks like that patch 1.6 corrected the arrow damage to reverse it to the initial formula, with the arrow damage added at the end. I cannot confirm that though, I'm still playing with 1.5.

6. Get Sm0ked

true but when you get over 800 AR it dosent matter what foe you encounter (melee) they will do minimal damage. in my opinion light armor is useless at end game

7. ShadowGambit

567 or 800 or 2000 AR will have the same effect, 80% of damage reduction, 567 being the cap anyway

So there is technically NO POINT going over 567 AR.

heavy armor will get you faster as I said. Light armor wiill get you there also, just takes a little longer. But at the end game, if you build has the necessary crafting skills, there are no difference whatsoever between a light armor and a heavy armor in term of damage absorb.

Conditionning has his equivalent in light Armor: Unhindered. The difference? Well it takes 4 perks to get conditionning and you have to take 2 worthless perks (Fist of steel and Cushioned). It takes 3 perks for Unhindered, but Custom Fit is useful.

The difference will be only on crafted/upgraded weapons. Weapon damage has no cap, so weapons from the heavy line will be more efficient.

8. Get Sm0ked

light armor takes ALOT longer and to collect the dragon bones and scales and carry them around is a pain

9. ShadowGambit

Depending on your crafting level.

With 4 pieces of apparel +29% Smithing +147% smithing potion, you can reach the cap with an elven armor, having only Agile Defender 1 and Custom fit in light Armor perks. You only need steel and elven smithing perk. You don't need to go till Dragon smithing (although you need 100 Smithing.).

If you don't want ANY smithing perk, then you can reach the cap with a HIDE ARMOR (the lowest light armor you can find) with Agile defender 4/5, custom fit and Matching set, using 1 more perk than with the elven smithing.

FYI, if you don't want to use +smithing equipment and +% Fortify smithing potion, then the ONLY armor that can reach the cap without a shield is the Daedric Armor. But you need Juggernaut 5/5 and Matching set, using 4 more perks than what I described with the Elven Smithing perk.

10. Get Sm0ked

11. Yingvar war wolf

I like when people do long detailed stuff... Im prob the only one who does lol... So you roleplay I do to. I just cant figure out a concrete reason for a thieves guild thief to switch to the Dark Brotherhood. especially after becoming the guild master. Can you think of a reason to help me out here. And also I think being the leader of two criminal guilds with completely different morals would be odd how would I roleplay that.