• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Skyrim has been out for a while now, and for those of you who are tired of curb-stomping draugr, and being fined by the guards for various accounts of spousal abuse(guilty) then this is the guide for you!

This guide details what is known as a nuzlocke challenge, which was originally created to make pokemon games more challenging and enjoyable. It consists of self given limitations to make the experience either more realistic or difficult depending on your preferred playstyle.

The challenge has 2 primary rules that must be followed and numerous optional rules that you may choose to implicate upon yourself.(you my even choose to make your own and post them)

Rule 1
If at anytime in-game your character dies he is considered dead and can no longer be played, likewise if a traveling companion is downed they to are considered dead and must be finished off.

Another less severe version of this rule would be, if your character dies and you have loaded your last save you must drop ALL of your equipment, this is to simulate that you have not died only knocked unconscious, and your attackers have looted your body, you may not go back to a previous save as this would be considered cheating.

Rule 2
You may not use healing ITEMS during combat you may however use healing spells

Optional rules
-no fast travel
-some may choose to give themselves a "1up" per ten levels that is also acceptable
-You may not use enchanted items that you have found, you may however create your own enchanted items to use.

this may not be for everyone, but it is a welcome break from the regular style of play I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts as always my gamer tag is "fairytale mythx" and you can message me on xbl if you have any questions

Jersey Dagmar

Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!
Regarding Rule 1, some followers who go down can not be killed.

Teritus

Giving it to you straight since 1869
I heard that Mjoll the Lioness can't be killed. But I thought that most followers who go down don't die by the enemy, unless you accidentally hit them yourself?

ArgentEagle

I'm Starting a Nuzelocke today with these rules.
1- If you die restart.
2- Potions are used outside of battle only.
3- You must eat 3 times a day Sleep 6 hours a day
4- Waiting is not allowed
5- Difficulty setting is Expert, Master is too unrealistic and frustrating.
6- Any illness caught must be cured with a potion not blessing.
7- No fast travel
8- Dragon Souls used on the first available word ( if more than one choose )
9- Carry weight is set to a permanent 100 no more unless using the steed stone (or other Weight enhancing item)

If I can think of anymore to add during the quest I'll let you know :)

Jim1213

I decided upon some nuzlocke rules for my game.
1. One must read your chosen dialogue aloud.
2. One must not buy anything that can be crafted(including filled soul gems but not unfilled soul gems).
3. One may not fast travel or wait.
4. One may not do anything for only experience and/or money.
5.(Optional) One may not steal.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Absolutely NO SMITHING PERKS! You only wear what you can afford and salvage.
If you run from battle, Jump off a cliff :p
If you are caught by guards, be a Spartan and slaughter them all
If you get Sanguine Vampiris and Lycanthropy you must cure it with potion/blessing. Afterwards you cannot cure

Jim1213

Absolutely NO SMITHING PERKS! You only wear what you can afford and salvage.
If you run from battle, Jump off a cliff :p
If you are caught by guards, be a Spartan and slaughter them all
If you get Sanguine Vampiris and Lycanthropy you must cure it with potion/blessing. Afterwards you cannot cure
You are one ambitious man. I applaud you. :)

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
I decided upon some nuzlocke rules for my game.
1. One must read your chosen dialogue aloud.
2. One must not buy anything that can be crafted(including filled soul gems but not unfilled soul gems).
3. One may not fast travel or wait.
4. One may not do anything for only experience and/or money.
5.(Optional) One may not steal.

In reference to #4, are you saying that unless it is a quest, it will not be done? As in, no mining ore in caves unless you are sent to specifically mine in that cave/mine/cavern?

Jim1213

In reference to #4, are you saying that unless it is a quest, it will not be done? As in, no mining ore in caves unless you are sent to specifically mine in that cave/mine/cavern?
It was hard to make an all encompassing rule for that idea. It was meant to stop farming. If it's for a quest then it probably isn't but I wouldn't consider mining to be breaking that rule particularly since due to rule two, you may not buy things that you can create. In general- no farming.

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I call them "House Rules."

Some standard ones I like to play with:

1. One must walk everywhere. Running is acceptable for brief periods or during combat. This tends to make horses more useful.

2. No fast travel, though carriage rides are ok.

3. No purchasing of magic items. They must be found as loot or given to you as a reward. I make occasional exceptions but try to limit purchases to Khajiit caravans.

4. Sometimes I like to play with no armor or weapon upgrades. You can still craft it but can't improve it on a workbench or grindstone.

5. All potions must be useful. If YOU wouldn't use it, chances are nobody else would either. Crafting or selling potions/poisons with mixed beneficial and harmful effects should be avoided. Optionally, you can craft them but not sell them.

6. Carrying limits. I've tried to do this. I always end up making exceptions and next thing I know I'm back to looting full tilt. But the idea is to limit yourself to:
- one set of clothes/robes
- one suit of armor w/shield. This can be any combination of light or heavy armor but you can only have 1 of each item. If you do have a piece of armor (except shields), it must be worn or you can't fight.
- 2 one-handed weapons (optionally you can carry up to 4 daggers as well)
- 1 two-handed weapon
- 1 bow
- 60 arrows max
- 20 lbs of additional gear (potions, scrolls, books, food, misc)

This restriction can be lifted as soon as you acquire (and, where applicable, wear) ANY effect which enhances your carrying capacity (except leveling up Stamina) such as:

- The Steed Stone
- The Extra Pockets perk
- Any potion or magical gear that has the Fortify Carry effect.

Optionally, you can carry anything you want but if you exceed the above restrictions you can't fight until you drop the extra stuff.

7. If you're a Khajiit, you aren't allowed in most cities. Any place where Khajiit caravans set up shop outside is forbidden entry. The only exceptions are to advance the main quest. Even then, conduct your business and get out. No shopping or talking to anyone besides your quest target. Since Riften is home of the Thieves' Guild it's excluded and you may enter freely. Optionally, you may only buy and sell with Khajiit merchants. You can still try to gain entry to a city by sneaking in but if you are detected by ANYONE you must leave immediately and can't try again for at least 24 hours.

Jim1213

I call them "House Rules."

Some standard ones I like to play with:

1. One must walk everywhere. Running is acceptable for brief periods or during combat. This tends to make horses more useful.

2. No fast travel, though carriage rides are ok.

3. No purchasing of magic items. They must be found as loot or given to you as a reward. I make occasional exceptions but try to limit purchases to Khajiit caravans.

4. Sometimes I like to play with no armor or weapon upgrades. You can still craft it but can't improve it on a workbench or grindstone.

5. All potions must be useful. If YOU wouldn't use it, chances are nobody else would either. Crafting or selling potions/poisons with mixed beneficial and harmful effects should be avoided. Optionally, you can craft them but not sell them.

6. Carrying limits. I've tried to do this. I always end up making exceptions and next thing I know I'm back to looting full tilt. But the idea is to limit yourself to:
- one set of clothes/robes
- one suit of armor w/shield. This can be any combination of light or heavy armor but you can only have 1 of each item. If you do have a piece of armor (except shields), it must be worn or you can't fight.
- 2 one-handed weapons (optionally you can carry up to 4 daggers as well)
- 1 two-handed weapon
- 1 bow
- 60 arrows max
- 20 lbs of additional gear (potions, scrolls, books, food, misc)

This restriction can be lifted as soon as you acquire (and, where applicable, wear) ANY effect which enhances your carrying capacity (except leveling up Stamina) such as:

- The Steed Stone
- The Extra Pockets perk
- Any potion or magical gear that has the Fortify Carry effect.

Optionally, you can carry anything you want but if you exceed the above restrictions you can't fight until you drop the extra stuff.

7. If you're a Khajiit, you aren't allowed in most cities. Any place where Khajiit caravans set up shop outside is forbidden entry. The only exceptions are to advance the main quest. Even then, conduct your business and get out. No shopping or talking to anyone besides your quest target. Since Riften is home of the Thieves' Guild it's excluded and you may enter freely. Optionally, you may only buy and sell with Khajiit merchants. You can still try to gain entry to a city by sneaking in but if you are detected by ANYONE you must leave immediately and can't try again for at least 24 hours.
I liked the one about only using magical items you find. It would make your character develop a little bit randomly which, in turn, would let you try new things( like the first Pokemon in each region rule in Pokemon). I think I'll use that.
Also, are soul gems magical items that you can only attain by finding them by these rules?

Perkless in Skyrim

Bad to the Dragonbone.
I liked the one about only using magical items you find. It would make your character develop a little bit randomly which, in turn, would let you try new things( like the first Pokemon in each region rule in Pokemon). I think I'll use that.
Also, are soul gems magical items that you can only attain by finding them by these rules?
I didn't really think about it until you asked. Good question.

I guess it could be played either way. You could limit yourself to only purchasing unfilled soul gems or be more strict and say they can only be looted. It's YOUR game. :D

Jim1213

I didn't really think about it until you asked. Good question.

I guess it could be played either way. You could limit yourself to only purchasing unfilled soul gems or be more strict and say they can only be looted. It's YOUR game. :D
Yea, I think the best thing to do would be to pick and choose which of the rules all of us have proposed would be most fun for yourself.

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
I believe you guys are looking for something like BIGwooly's hardcore rules?

http://skyrimforum.com/threads/nord-refugee-character-diary-hrisskar-iii.3168/

II - GENERAL PLAY RESTRICTIONS
- proceed through the game intro and then leave the cave with NOTHING
- difficulty set to 'master'
- HUD set to 0%
- brightness dropped down 2 notches
- only carry 30% of what game allows
- only carry 30 arrows max
- must fully sheath weapon to use a potion
- must have a hand free to pick anything up
- must not move around crouched for unreasonable amounts of time
- may not harvest unreasonable items (if a dead elk has a garnet don't take it)
- may not activate overpowered/unrealistic perks (like conditioning; heavy armor weighs nothing)
- must sleep for at least 8 hours every day (allowed to make rare exceptions)
- must eat 3 meals a day (allowed to make rare exceptions)
- must always carry clothing (worn under armor)
- may not use smithing or enchanting (must find/purchase all gear)
- may not swim while wearing armor
- may not enter freezing water unless on a horse
- may not use in-game map unless at a known location
- may not fast travel (except by cart)
- may not use exploits
- may not cut wood for money
- if you set off a trap and it injures you then you are dead
- may only use manual saves after sleeping (resting)
- when character dies must load from the most recent save
- if character dies must return to an inn and wait (recover) for 7 days
- must spend 300 gold with the innkeep to cover room and board

- a mercenary's fee is for (1) 24-hour period
- a companion may carry 10% of your carry ability
- when a companion/mercenary dies they are dead, no save loading

- a horse may carry 10% of your own carry ability
- you may not access the 10% that your horse is carrying during combat
- when carrying items back to your horse you may not use sneak or have a weapon drawn
- horse must be fed 5 points of health per day (it is assumed horse will also eat grass)
- if horse dies it is dead, no save loading

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts