• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Over years of playing, I thought I'd encountered every bug and glitch that Skyrim had to offer. I got Skyrim SE and it didn't crash, graphics were better, save files smaller...Whoa, this is paradise!

But...

...I completed the quest 'A night to remember' and got the staff...the scene cut back to where I met Sam and... the whole of Whiterun started attacking me!

At the time, my weapon was sheathed, my spider pet was standing idly by, clicking its legs together and yet I was assaulted. It took a while to fight my way from the Bannered Mare. Even the Jarl and his staff rushed down from Dragonsreach to have a go at me.

By the time I'd got out of the gates my bounty was up to 19,120. Lord knows how many guards I killed. Fus-Roh-Dah slice wallop! At a thousand a guard I should only have killed 19 and a bit but I suppose it was 3 hostile civilians (120) and 18 guards.

I'll have to reload because for some strange reason I am no longer popular in Dragonsreach.

I tried fast travelling elsewhere in Tamriel and going back to Whiterun and I noticed that it was really pleasant because there were no guards at all in the town (largely because I'd killed them all). I could wander around freely and all the residents behaved normally. The only problem came when I went into Dragonsreach where the jarl, Proventus and Irileth were still alive...they attacked me again and needed several doses of Nord Hero Greatsword to calm their impetuous nature.

Since the special edition has been largely free of such glitches, I was surprised (but not totally shocked) by this.

Have any of you had weird glitches like this with SE?

Edit: It gets weirder. I went back to a save before I'd got the staff. This time, yes I was attacked again in the Bannered Mare, but this time only by Uthgerd The Unbroken. Outside, the guards left me alone but killed a civilian called Hod, who was doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Last edited:

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Not actually a new glitch. It happened to me a couple of times on PS3 vanilla as well, not to mention constantly getting attacked when you entered Dragonsreach.

Just plain weird.

Only I don't just attack people. I just run and leave. It's not worth the bounties and it just makes it worse.

Gregor Moon Fang

Champion of Azura
At the time, my weapon was sheathed, my spider pet was standing idly by, clicking its legs together and yet I was assaulted. It took a while to fight my way from the Bannered Mare. Even the Jarl and his staff rushed down from Dragonsreach to have a go at me.

I guess they all have arachnophobia.

I guess I've just been lucky then that it hasn't happened to me in the four or five other runs through the game.

I'll check to see if I've got a bounty for Uthgerd because the second time I did the quest I walked away without drawing my weapon but my spider (bless its little Dwarven metal socks) stayed behind in the bannered mare to finish her off. I'll also try entering Dragonsreach to see if I get attacked there. If I do it could be problematical because I haven't done the civil war quest yet and I'll have to go there as part of that quest.

Arachnophobia? Good one! I'll have to swap my spider for a pet dog if I keep on getting mugged.

Just checked and luckily there's no bounty, nor do I get attacked in Dragonsreach. Relief.

I've also just had the bug where Siddgeir won't talk to you so the quest is stuck. I'll have to find the console command to advance the quest....Oh, well, I suppose it wouldn't be Skyrim without these little glitches.

Daelon DuLac

I guess I've just been lucky then that it hasn't happened to me in the four or five other runs through the game.

I'll check to see if I've got a bounty for Uthgerd because the second time I did the quest I walked away without drawing my weapon but my spider (bless its little Dwarven metal socks) stayed behind in the bannered mare to finish her off. I'll also try entering Dragonsreach to see if I get attacked there. If I do it could be problematical because I haven't done the civil war quest yet and I'll have to go there as part of that quest.

Arachnophobia? Good one! I'll have to swap my spider for a pet dog if I keep on getting mugged.

Just checked and luckily there's no bounty, nor do I get attacked in Dragonsreach. Relief.

I've also just had the bug where Siddgeir won't talk to you so the quest is stuck. I'll have to find the console command to advance the quest....Oh, well, I suppose it wouldn't be Skyrim without these little glitches.
4 of 5! HA! In my case it's more like 75 out of 250. :)

The more you play, the glitchier (sic) it gets!

Just be grateful Sid and his crew don't just attack you. You have no idea how many times I've had that happen with or without a bounty in Falkreath.

Sheesh.

Daelon DuLac

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts