• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Would a independent Skyrim succeed or fail?

• Total voters

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
The question is simple. If Skyrim won its independence, would it flourish as a independent kingdom or would it fall to internal strife or foreign powers such as the Aldmeri Dominion? Yes or no and why?

TwintailHellcat

The Kasha of Old Hell
I'm voting no. My first play-through I had a legit internal struggle over which side to choose in the Civil War quest line. As much as my heart goes out to the every-man of Skyrim and my feelings that they should be able to worship whom they choose-

I feel like Skyrim becoming independent at this (the setting's) point in history would be bad for both sides. So many resources were put into quelling and fueling the uprising. Then we have to guess how gracefully The Empire would accept defeat. Would they go into negotiations? Would they muster strength to try to take it back? Either way, with all the animosity I don't feel like Skyrim and the Empire would forge an alliance as an independent nation afterward. This leaves both sides VERY vulnerable to the Aldmeri Dominion - and based on THEIR previous actions and dialogue from various NPCs... The elves are just biding their time until they get bored of playing house and attack again to finish what they started.

If The Empire had a better footing - they could be a looming threat and maybe prevent the AD from claiming a weakened, independent Skyrim. As things are in the setting of this game? No.

TL,DR: The elvers are greedy busy bodies and would take advantage of the situation.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Indeed. I do not think Skyrim could stand for very long on their own. Not with everything else going on in Tamriel and not after having fought a civil war. The only way it could work is if they were to get allies and those would be few and far between. It just isn't the right time for them to proclaim independence and stand apart.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Ulfric and his Stormcloak's reaction is exactly what the Aldmeri Dominion intended when they banned Talos worship within The Empire as part of The White Gold Concordant. Of course Skyrim breaking from The Empire would be bad. Foreveryone! Except the Dominion.

The Stormcloaks are playing right into The Dominion's hands.

meben15

Lord of the Meeblings
Yea I think most people would agree with the fact that if Skyrim divided from the empire it wouldn't be long before the Aldmeri Dominion just waltzed in and took over both the weakened Empire and Skyrim. Then all the humans and beastfolk and dunmer would be slaves and that would suck :sadface: and I agree with you Kalin, the Dominion was rooting for the stormcloaks the whole time.

Alissa DeWitt

Beer Wench
It would fail. Strength in numbers. After the war without the Empire to back Skyrim up the Aldmeri Dominion would come in to pick up the shattered pieces.

I think they could stand assuming they made alliances (Hammerfell.) The geography of the land makes invasion by the Dominion difficult as they would have to go through or around Hammerfell which has a good navy. They have exports meat, furs, mead, and metals and could set up trade with their neighbors.

Svarnor

Shadowcloak of Nocturnal
I agree with TheRedGoblin. Skyrim is sandwiched between two countries, neither of which like the Dominion much. I think if Hammerfell was working with Skyrim, they might have a decent chance.
On a side note, where does High Rock stand, as far as the Great War and the Dominion go?

The elves would love if Skyrim broke away from the Empire, divide and conquer.

That didn't work out so well with Hammerfell, now did it?

True, but would you want an empire together and strong, or in pieces? What would give you the better chance. Now that I think about it, it might actually be better if they stayed together, but there was a lot of animousity. Would make for a very weak empire.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
It depends on how long the civil lasts, as well as how long the dragon attacks go on. If both last a lengthy amount of time, Skyrim would be too depleted to survive an invasion without alliances.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
The Aldmeri Dominion is a non-issue unless and until either Cyrodiil or Hammerfell are conquered first because until that happens the Dominion has no shared borders with Skyrim.

Skyrim wont prosper under Ulfric though. His hatred for the Empire will make any kind of favorable conciliation between the two impossible. He's going to have to deal with the loss of subsidies from the Empire and the resulting deficit in resources for Skyrim coupled with the damage the civil war inflicts on the province. Skyrim would suffer for many years under his rule if not longer.

The Aldmeri Dominion is a non-issue unless and until either Cyrodiil or Hammerfell are conquered first because until that happens the Dominion has no shared borders with Skyrim.

Skyrim wont prosper under Ulfric though. His hatred for the Empire will make any kind of favorable conciliation between the two impossible. He's going to have to deal with the loss of subsidies from the Empire and the resulting deficit in resources for Skyrim coupled with the damage the civil war inflicts on the province. Skyrim would suffer for many years under his rule if not longer.

I don't think that the Aldmeri Dominion would have many qualms of marching through northeast Cyrodiil or invading Skyrim by way of ships should the empire break up.

If they invade by land they have to fight Hammerfell who has already beaten them and has ended their own civil war. If they invade by sea the Redguard navy will be waiting. There is no way the Empire will let them march through Cyrodiil.

If Ulfric is the issue he could always be removed now the the Dark Brotherhood is back.

If they invade by land they have to fight Hammerfell who has already beaten them and has ended their own civil war. If they invade by sea the Redguard navy will be waiting. There is no way the Empire will let them march through Cyrodiil.

If Ulfric is the issue he could always be removed now the the Dark Brotherhood is back.

I think you overestimate the Empire's strength, if Skyrim broke away completely, there's a good chance that Hammerfell might follow suit.

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
I don't think that the Aldmeri Dominion would have many qualms of marching through northeast Cyrodiil or invading Skyrim by way of ships should the empire break up.
The Empire isn't going to let an invasion sized Dominion army march through any portion of its lands. It's delusional to assume the contrary because if it allows that kind of blatant violation of its soverignty it may as well handover the keys to the Imperial Palace and White Gold Tower to the Dominion.

If you study the maps of Tamriel and observed the shorelines of Skyrim in the game you would notice that much of the shores are rocklined making the waters treacherous for ships to approach (recall what happens to the Icerunner without the guidance of the Solitude Lighthouse). Of the few areas where the shores are approachable by ship, all landing areas require passage through narrow mountain corridors which are ill suited for an invasion force. The one exception is the marshlands southeast of Solitude but that requires them to attempt to make a landing on the most defendable shore of Skyrim.

The intelligent course of action would be to conquer Hammerfell or Cyrodiil first. Given that the Dominion has always wanted to claim Hammerfell the former is more likely than the latter.

azali100

I don't think the Dominion would have as much trouble with Hammerfell this time around. The war completley destroyed southern Hammerfell, while Sommerset Isles remained completley unharmed. In adition to this the Dominion at the time were in a weakened state as a result of the war with the Empire. Now decades have passed and they are at full strength. I think they could do it.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts