Skyrim on PC, what to expect?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

JoeReese

Hi all,

I'm awaiting delivery of my pc, and am planning to play Skyrim that way for a while, instead of the PS3.

Until now, I've been using an old dinosaur netbook, but the pc should be able to handle Skyrim. I was just wondering what to expect as a new PC player.

Are there any programs, like antivirus, that would work better or worse with Skyrim running, and does Steam have to be running the whole time I play?

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
I'm somehow guessing you haven't looked into Skyrim on PC versus consoles whatsoever if you're asking such a basic question. Same thing if you're saying your new PC 'should' be able to handle Skyrim.

Antivirus or programs? No idea what you're even trying to ask, honestly.

Does Steam have to be running? Yes.

JoeReese

This is what I meant with my original "how to destroy a forum" post. If you only replied just to admonish, stick it, and leave it to someone who is willing to try to help the technically declined understand things a little easier. Thanks.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
I think he meant antivirus (which in my many lessons learned, you should ALWAYS have) to have running while he's playing Skyrim. Or rather, that is compatible.

I use Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, and it does a decent job in keeping my pc/laptops protected. At least from my experience.

Honestly there is no such thing as being completely protected. That's like saying you're immune to all diseases which really isn't possible. But I'm sure you know that since you're asking for a compatible software/program.

If my ancient desktop could run Skyrim better than a snails pace I'd be fine. But it was working with Essentials on. Also: Sadly, steam does need to be on. You have to be online which I can see the concern you have for compatible antivirus or malware protection. Better safe than sorry they say. ;)

Hope this helped!

JoeReese

Thanks Dabiene. I usually run Avast, but I've never played PC Skyrim, so I didn't know if it will conflict with it, so I was just looking for what will work and play well with Skyrim. I don't know what the new PC will come with, but I suspect it will be some crappy demo deal.

I know I'm looking forward to being able to correct glitches with console, which I could never do before, and maybe a few mods at some point.

Lucid

First, you should expect to spend a lot of time browsing for mods :)

To answer your questions, Steam (and Skyrim) should work with all major AntiVirus programs and suites. Since I began playing I have used McAfee and Kaspersky, and now use the Webroot AV suite with a ZoneAlarm firewall (I don't like the Windows firewall at all). As long as you use a reputable security company and keep it running and updated at all times, you shouldn't expect any conflicts with Steam games.

Steam will need to be running at all times. Even if you launch from a Skyrim app shortcut (or through the GE Force app as I sometimes do) it will open the Steam client first, then access the game from your Steam library.

Hope that helps.

JoeReese

Thanks Lucid. Can I expect any problems that I wouldn't normally encounter on the PS3?

I've already trolled Nexus and bookmarked a few things I'd like...namely a few historical swords and a mod to let me make my home into an armory. :)

Lucid

I'm not familiar with the expected problems on a PS3 so I can't speak to that, but I have run into unexpected issues playing Steam games following some driver updates. Even recently I took an nVidia update that made Skyrim unplayable except in low resolution windowed mode, even after rolling back the driver. Took me almost a full day to sort out. I once installed a 3rd party display driver for a dual-monitor and port expansion dock, and Skyrim would crash on launch, giving the dreaded "failed to initialize renderer" error.

I'll bet that doesn't happen on a PS3 :)

In a long-winded way, I guess my point is to pay attention to updates and programs that may conflict with how Skyrin and the Steam client access your display hardware and settings. Things that you don't think about may have negative impact.

JoeReese

Hmmm...very sound advice, thank you. I will make it a point to set my restore points before allowing any updates, so I can go back if necessary. Something I hadn't thought about.

Manmangler

Avast don't conflict to skyrim, I have avast. Use Unofficial Patches to game and DLC from Nexus to root out most problems. You can put Steam Offline for few days, if needed, so no need always online.

Lucid

Hmmm...very sound advice, thank you. I will make it a point to set my restore points before allowing any updates, so I can go back if necessary. Something I hadn't thought about.

Good plan. I do set restore points, but my professional background leaves me compelled to chase an issue to a root cause and correction, even if restoring would be much faster/more efficient. I have issues.

khazan99

Semi-professional cabbage collector
Other have answered your questions quite well, but I will toss this in as another viewpoint, though I certainly don't mean to confuse things for you.

I run the game through Steam and have never had any problems at all, and haven't used the unofficial patches; I just let Steam handle any updates or patches that were released. I don't have SKSE. I have probably 30 mods installed, and simply use the "Subscribe" feature from Steam's Workshop w/out any issues. Most of the mods are 'cosmetic' chnages/additions: armor, weapons, additional player housing, etc. I have downloaded a few from Nexus as well, and haven't had problems thus far. My PC isn't a 'super gaming system' by any means, but so far (knock on wood) it seems to handle modded-Skyrim without any extra steps required.

Best of luck to you on the PC; I started on Xbox and switched to PC and I have enjoyed the experience immensely. :)

Manmangler

I don't think you need steam to play Skyrim if you've got SKSE
Steam is even still needed. All Legal PC Skyrims needs Steam(Steam Activation).
http://www.systemrequirements.in/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.html

SKSE is Skyrim Script Extender, needed certain mods to use scripts. Skse is not hack to remove DRM from Skyrim.
SKSE give great opputurnies to mod makers.
http://skse.silverlock.org/

Some mods need even FNIS (Fores New Idles in Skyrim)
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/11811/?

Manmangler

I run the game through Steam and have never had any problems at all, and haven't used the unofficial patches; I just let Steam handle any updates or patches that were released. I don't have SKSE. I have probably 30 mods installed, and simply use the "Subscribe" feature from Steam's Workshop w/out any issues. Most of the mods are 'cosmetic' chnages/additions: armor, weapons, additional player housing, etc. I have downloaded a few from Nexus as well, and haven't had problems thus far. My PC isn't a 'super gaming system' by any means, but so far (knock on wood) it seems to handle modded-Skyrim without any extra steps required.

Best of luck to you on the PC; I started on Xbox and switched to PC and I have enjoyed the experience immensely. :)
Usin Steam Workshop is ok, BUT

It will automaticly updates mods. Is mod changes too much in update, Saves will be broken. ain rule in Moddings, dont remove or change mods in same playthrougth. You can add mods, but mod remove or change.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
Thanks Lucid. Can I expect any problems that I wouldn't normally encounter on the PS3?

If your incoming computer is better than a PS3, you shouldn't have any typical PS3 issues.

However, ILS (infinite loading screen) might be a bit more common, depending on system and mods. Installing SKSE and then Safety Load helps get rid of that.
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/46465//?

I don't think you need steam to play Skyrim if you've got SKSE

... completely wrong. Steam is integrated into Skyrim. SKSE runs Skyrim...

Usin Steam Workshop is ok, BUT

It will automaticly updates mods. Is mod changes too much in update, Saves will be broken. ain rule in Moddings, dont remove or change mods in same playthrougth. You can add mods, but mod remove or change.

Not entirely correct. You CAN remove or change mods during a playthrough. However, should you? Not necessarily, and if you don't know what you're doing to a huge degree, you shouldn't. Just find some mods you want to use, and stick with them.
It's also worth noting that even some mods cannot/shouldn't be added during a playthrough, such as Civil War Overhaul.

I also don't recommend using the Steam Workshop. It auto-updates mods, has little to no "mod management", and so forth. The Workshop is a sort of "click and forget" thing, and when it comes to modding, that's not good; you need to pay attention to what you're doing.

I also feel that the Workshop is just sort of filled with lots of useless junk and not worth looking through.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts