Skyrim / Oblivion : Dark Brotherhood Falkreath Sanctuary vs Cheydinhal Sanctuary

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

VolenKiller

The Idealist
Haha indeed

HEFFAY

The thing I like about Skyrim's shrouded apparel, is the fact that you can mismatch, the armour with other gloves and boots. In oblvion you had to wear everything, (minus the hood). I do like the look of the gloves and boots alot more in Skyrim, textrued with a little red more than the straight black in Oblivion. Also the hood you get in Skyrim doesn't look as goofy as the hood in Oblivion. However, the Morag Tang (Assassin's Guild) from Morrowind had the most badass looking helmet. I wish they had brought that look to the Dark Brotherhood... I also wish they had throwing knives, stars and darts (like in Morrowind) in the later Elder Scrolls games, it would make for a badass assassin... Why is the Blade of Woe so lame in this game?

Necromis

Yeah I agree, it would be so much nicer to have other missle weapons, such as stars, knives, darts. I actually like the Blade of Woe. At least for an assassin blade, not a straight up fight blade.

VolenKiller

The Idealist
I know right? The Blade of Woe is plops in Skyrim. And i wish they brought and re-graphic-ized back a LOT of things from morrowind. but bottom line here fellas, Skyrim Dark Brotherhood aint plops compared to Oblivion's.

Desmodus

Cheydinhal sanctuary, without a doubt.
Better organized, ironically friendly, awesome pets (SUP BONES), and they let you buy things from them.
The one thing I didn't like was the purification. Especially with the Kajhiit, who hates you at first, but when you come to talk to him in that quest, he starts to like you.
Then you have to kill him. Anyone else feel absolutely terrible after that quest?

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
In my opinion, the Fighters Guild was way better in Oblivion. The whole conspiracy with the rival mercenary group was so cool. Same with the Dark Brotherhood, all of the missions were better, longer and had fun little Easter eggs

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Necromis

well they say the fighters guild still exsists just not in the skyrim region, so the closest thing to it is the companions.

Arithrezen

I simply cannot believe some people actually prefer Skyrim over Oblivion when it comes to the Dark Brotherhood. Now, I do prefer Skyrim over Oblivion in general but the Dark Brotherhood of Oblivion had so much more depth to it.

Starting with the recruitment, I believe this is where Skyrim could have superseded Oblivion. To receive a mysterious letter from a courier and to be hauled away in your sleep to prove yourself was a unique experience to say the least. On the other hand, Astrid has absolutely nothing on Lucien Lachance. That guy was simply the very embodiment of a fanatical assassin devoted to his cause albeit a bit too stereotypical.

The family of Cheydinhal in Oblivion was somehow more memorable to me. Perhaps I am biased towards them. I did hate the wood elf that was arrogantly full of ambition and looked so ugly, it made it worse. Then again all the wood elf females of Oblivion looked simply horrid and I'll leave the aesthetics out of this.

I will confess that I had little to do with the family of Falkreath even though I did talk to them all. However, the very fact that I can scarcely remember the interactions only indicates that they simply weren't as interesting. The one thing I do remember is their fake laughter when they gathered around to talk about their killings, when the werewolf mentioned making loincloth out of a Khajiit monk. That was just bad....

The breton vampire was much more to my liking in comparison to Nazeem. There was something rather creepy about that Redguard and I don't mean in a secretly drawing and mysterious way. His slow manner of speech and his subtle arrogance annoyed me. I wish he died with the rest o them, really. The shadowscales I cannot comment upon since I was never interested in Argonians as much in either case. The little girl reminded me of Claudia from Anne Rice's novel too much. I did not really find her interesting for some reason. They should have given her a unique model or textures to somehow show or hint at her darker side. The fact that she looked like every single girl out there just killed it for me even if that was the whole point of her disguise.

Taking a closer look at the other quest givers though, I could say that Astrid was certainly more interesting of a character compared to Ocheeva. However, Skyrim did not have a character that could possibly commensurate to Lucien LaChance. I'm not even certain whom to compare him with. The jester? I found that guy atrociously annoying and over the top. His obsession with the Night Mother was borderline creepy. Having read his journals I can understand why, I suppose, but it does not change anything.

Now, for the main part. Everything else aside, the most important thing about a faction are the quests. Like mentioned before, Skyrim's questline is just too short. I'd like to add that in addition to that, the quests were never as unique as they were in Oblivion. All,you do is just go out there and kill. In Oblivion you get to stage accidents, stage a death, you sneak past guards. The fact that you picked up orders from locations other than your sanctuary was rather smart. If you always went to the same place, wouldn't it become too suspicious to ignore? Either way, to say it with fewer words, the DB in Oblivion felt far more sinister and organized, not to mention longer.All you do in Skyrim is act as some typical cutthroat. There is no need for much subtlety either. The Dark Brotherhood Forever quest was disappointing as well. Skyrim is a continuation of Oblivion and yet it takes a step back in the quest department. They could have done so much more. I can understand that storylines and plots are things that you can never guarantee will work out better than the previous ones but in terms of game mechanics and possibilities Skyrim is clearly superior. They could have at least given missions where you had to sneak past many guards to kill their boss. Or make some of the random targets CHALLENGING. Each and every one of them takes a single well-placed arrow.

To add to that, it also achieved to stir some emotion in me when I had to wipe out the whole sanctuary, especially after I had suddenly become friends with the cat. That quest pretty much showed you what it is to be an assassin, a murderer. The whole questline tricks you into thinking you can be friends and then it takes that away from you. The death of Lucien LaChance had some impact as well albeit I felt that the ending of DB in Oblivion rushed.

The whole deal with the Imperials and their ultimate betrayal was certainly interesting but it did not evoke the same feelings. Astrid had it coming for her. The very notion of assassinating the Emperor himself seemed absurd. If only the questline was longer.... then maybe.

Oblivion certainly had its flaws but Skyrim cannot begin to compare.

Necromis

I think their are a few things you are missing and it is why you have a problem with the DB quest line in Skyrim. Now please note I am not saying that one is better than the other. I think because they are different times you just have to look at them differently.

First, as with the thievies guild, the DB has fallen on hard times and thus is not as large a threat as it used to be. Secondly, Astrid is a business woman not a Night Mother/Sithis worshiper. Thus her and the rest of the DB, besides Cicero, treat it like a business.

Lastly, I understand why as her character Astrid betrayed the Listner, she thought she was losing her place as the leader and wanted to insure it stayed a business and not a religious following.

I agree, however, that there was much more that could have been done with the plot line to make it a bit more beefier and unique. Such as the option to pick up contracts in other locations and to make things look like accidents.

I do understand why they would go after the emperor, too. If they pulled it off then it would show how powerful they were again and get more contracts.

perkecet

i think you can push a gargoyle onto the emperors cousin for her murder. thats the only thing like that im aware of though. i really dont see why they couldnt add more small time quests in skyrim. its like you murder 4 people and then its time to kill the emperor? thats silly. all the factions are exactly like that in skyrim though. theres no rising through the ranks. its recruit, wait an hour, run the place. from the brotherhood to the guild to the college to the companions, its all the same. it made me feel cheated to be honest. a little insult as well. as if im not patient enough to have to put in some real work to become the leader of an entire organization. the faction questlines could have and should have been at least twice as long each.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Cheydinhal. Worse comes to worse they got got someone to combat everything. The vampires would battle it out quickly ending in a blood bath, with Vicente Valtieri being the victor do to just being the superior vampiric race found in Cyrodiil. Gogron gro-Bolmog would just murder Arnbjorn quickly and brutally while he was mid-change, why waste time? M'raaj-Dar would leave Festus Krex a corpse due to his multitude of multi-effect spells. Veezara would be left dead by Ocheeva and Teinaav. Antoinetta Marie would be the likely suspect for shooting Navir. Gabriella would end up full of arrows from Telaendril. Astrid would get gutted by the Dark Guardian. Lastly Schemer and Lis would battle it out to an unforeseeable victor.

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Skyrim didn't have a black hand because it wasn't legit, Astrid was in charge not a Listener... It wasn't until the Night Mother arrived that they started getting thier pl*** together, and even then Astrid tried to set you up...

Oblivion took place when the dark brotherhood was at thier hieght, skyrim comes when they are on thier last leg...

That's why Cheydinhal would win, they wouldn't have been willing to 'make a deal' with anyone, they would have told the imperials what's up.

I'm gonna break down by character, (my own opinion) using 'cs' to stand for Cheydinhal Sanctuary, and 'fs' to stand for falkreath's sanctuary.

Ocheeva would kill Astrid easily (cs-1, fs-0), That Orc would go up against Astrid's Hubby the werewolf (tie). the Falkreath's Shadow Scale was more badass than taneeva of Chedynhall (cs-1, fs-1), Nazir and the Khajit would have been a pretty good battle (tie), and the Cheydinhal vampire was better than Falkreath's (cs-2, fs-1). Cheydinhal also had Lucien Lachance as thier listener, falkreath didn't have one until you (cs-3, fs-1), and they had two pets, the skeleton and the rat but falkreath's spider would have beaten them, Cheydinhal also had that girl antionette maria, so they win that one by default, (cs-4 fs-2 w/2 ties) ...

Also, Cicero would have fought for Cheydinhal had a battle occured...

Grand total = Cheydinhal wins...

p.s. You could buy stuff in cheydinhall, like spells, weapons, and lock picks... they were better equipt.

LaChance was a speaker...

Tman2177

I think the Cheydinhal sanctuary would destroy the Falkreath and the Dawnstar sanctuaries. There was a lot more going on in the DB in Oblivion, and I think that gives Cheydinhal the edge. And the members of the Cheydinhal sanctuary were pretty much murdering psychopaths and much more ruthless than the Falkreath sanctuary, imo.

Lucien Lachance was a legend in the DB and one of the cool things in Skyrim is you get the power to summon him once a day from Astrid when you start the DB quests. I strongly agree with the fact that the DB is an assassins guild and would strive for the element of surprise and secrecy. There would be arrows flying from the shadows daggers ending up in the backs of unsuspecting members and that big orc smashing everything in his path.

There is no way Falkreath would stand a chance against the Cheydinhal sanctuary, everything about the sanctuary was better.

Clavicus

Cheydinhal in a completely one-sided butt whoopin'

Cheydinhal by miles, the people were alot cooler aswell. Is it just me, but did you find all the guilds on Skyrim abit lacking in somthing? Oblivions were just longer, and better in my opinion.
Yes. The DB was probably the best of Skyrim's guilds and its still like 'meh' compared to Oblivions. Too short, no rankings and the story/characters aren't even interesting.

Anthin

Definitely Falkreath. Astrid is just awesome and Arnbjorn is a freakin' werewolf. Not to mention Festus Krex and Gabriella are really strong mages. And Nazir is a freaking Redguard bad ass. That's completely my opinion though lol.

Zappus

Considering that by the time of skyrim brotherhood cheydenhall one was completely destroyed, id say skyrim wins.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Argonianale7

Sheratopia
I simply cannot believe some people actually prefer Skyrim over Oblivion when it comes to the Dark Brotherhood. Now, I do prefer Skyrim over Oblivion in general but the Dark Brotherhood of Oblivion had so much more depth to it.

Starting with the recruitment, I believe this is where Skyrim could have superseded Oblivion. To receive a mysterious letter from a courier and to be hauled away in your sleep to prove yourself was a unique experience to say the least. On the other hand, Astrid has absolutely nothing on Lucien Lachance. That guy was simply the very embodiment of a fanatical assassin devoted to his cause albeit a bit too stereotypical.

The family of Cheydinhal in Oblivion was somehow more memorable to me. Perhaps I am biased towards them. I did hate the wood elf that was arrogantly full of ambition and looked so ugly, it made it worse. Then again all the wood elf females of Oblivion looked simply horrid and I'll leave the aesthetics out of this.

I will confess that I had little to do with the family of Falkreath even though I did talk to them all. However, the very fact that I can scarcely remember the interactions only indicates that they simply weren't as interesting. The one thing I do remember is their fake laughter when they gathered around to talk about their killings, when the werewolf mentioned making loincloth out of a Khajiit monk. That was just bad....

The breton vampire was much more to my liking in comparison to Nazeem. There was something rather creepy about that Redguard and I don't mean in a secretly drawing and mysterious way. His slow manner of speech and his subtle arrogance annoyed me. I wish he died with the rest o them, really. The shadowscales I cannot comment upon since I was never interested in Argonians as much in either case. The little girl reminded me of Claudia from Anne Rice's novel too much. I did not really find her interesting for some reason. They should have given her a unique model or textures to somehow show or hint at her darker side. The fact that she looked like every single girl out there just killed it for me even if that was the whole point of her disguise.

Taking a closer look at the other quest givers though, I could say that Astrid was certainly more interesting of a character compared to Ocheeva. However, Skyrim did not have a character that could possibly commensurate to Lucien LaChance. I'm not even certain whom to compare him with. The jester? I found that guy atrociously annoying and over the top. His obsession with the Night Mother was borderline creepy. Having read his journals I can understand why, I suppose, but it does not change anything.

Now, for the main part. Everything else aside, the most important thing about a faction are the quests. Like mentioned before, Skyrim's questline is just too short. I'd like to add that in addition to that, the quests were never as unique as they were in Oblivion. All,you do is just go out there and kill. In Oblivion you get to stage accidents, stage a death, you sneak past guards. The fact that you picked up orders from locations other than your sanctuary was rather smart. If you always went to the same place, wouldn't it become too suspicious to ignore? Either way, to say it with fewer words, the DB in Oblivion felt far more sinister and organized, not to mention longer.All you do in Skyrim is act as some typical cutthroat. There is no need for much subtlety either. The Dark Brotherhood Forever quest was disappointing as well. Skyrim is a continuation of Oblivion and yet it takes a step back in the quest department. They could have done so much more. I can understand that storylines and plots are things that you can never guarantee will work out better than the previous ones but in terms of game mechanics and possibilities Skyrim is clearly superior. They could have at least given missions where you had to sneak past many guards to kill their boss. Or make some of the random targets CHALLENGING. Each and every one of them takes a single well-placed arrow.

To add to that, it also achieved to stir some emotion in me when I had to wipe out the whole sanctuary, especially after I had suddenly become friends with the cat. That quest pretty much showed you what it is to be an assassin, a murderer. The whole questline tricks you into thinking you can be friends and then it takes that away from you. The death of Lucien LaChance had some impact as well albeit I felt that the ending of DB in Oblivion rushed.

The whole deal with the Imperials and their ultimate betrayal was certainly interesting but it did not evoke the same feelings. Astrid had it coming for her. The very notion of assassinating the Emperor himself seemed absurd. If only the questline was longer.... then maybe.

Oblivion certainly had its flaws but Skyrim cannot begin to compare.
.......Uhhhhh you like your words now don't you.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts