PC Skyrim Main Menu bugged and cannot play.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kyrios311

Okay, so I have been playing Skyrim for quite some time now and I am just now running into huge technical issues. I thought you guys might be able to help.

This is what usually happens on startup:
1: Skyrim Launcher - Hit Play
2: Skyrim Launches
3: Bestheda Studios Logo (Drums sound)
4: Skyrim logo and fog with menu options.
5: Load/New Game - Loading screen
6: Play game.

Now this is what's happening to me...:
1: Skyrim Launcher - Hit Play
2: Skyrim Launches
3: Bestheda Studios Logo (Drums sound)
4:* Only menu appears, no Skyrim logo or fog and it is choppy when moving through the different choices on the menu...
5:* Load/New Game - Loading screen... then Skyrim closes with no errors or such.
6:* Throw Keyboard out the window.

Things I have already tried:

- I have already tried moving the saves to see if it was the cause.
- Drivers updated
- Skyrim updated
- Tried uninstalling/reinstalling
- Sound settings correct.
- Tried lower graphics settings
- Crying did not seem to fix anything either...

tragik

Premium Member
Kyrios, quick question.. did it work and then all of a sudden stop? also, what video card are you running and video driver? I have read through here that (people on PC) can have issues on certain video drivers.

I am on xbox but will help as best as i can.

Kyrios311

Kyrios, quick question.. did it work and then all of a sudden stop? also, what video card are you running and video driver? I have read through here that (people on PC) can have issues on certain video drivers.

I am on xbox but will help as best as i can.

It was working fine, but then the next day I attempted to start it up and then the issue started happening. I am using an NVidia GeForce GTS 250 graphics card. Other games are working fine.

tragik

Premium Member
do you happen to know the version number of the drivers?

tragik

Premium Member
sweet, let me find that forum post.. see if you're on the version that one user was saying was the issue.

Kyrios311

I bought a physical copy of the game. Cannot play the game at all, New/Load game or continue result in a crash after loading screen pops up for 3 seconds. The models and such that appear during loading (the ones to play around with and look at) don't appear.

tragik

Premium Member
ok.. i KNOW i read somewhere that skyrim can be buggy on certain diver versions.. If you have the latest driver version then try taking it back 3 or 4 versions. Someone once posted that if they ran the latest version it would crash/bug the game but if they installed an older version of the drivers it worked great..

tragik

Premium Member
no problems, sorry I don't have the PC version but someone who does may chime in.. Let us know if that worked.

Kyrios311

I don't know what the previous driver version is nor how to install the previous driver. I understand how to update the driver version, not downgrade it though. :sadface:

tragik

Premium Member
are you on windows 7/vista/xp? so I can give you the steps for removing the drivers for your video card.

tragik

Premium Member
*before doing below, what type/model of video card do you have? I want to see if your driver version is the latest or way old..

sweet, here is what I want you to do. go download the driver you want to try (older version) from nvidia.com and save to your desktop as a backup.. follow these instructions, this will only work if your video card drivers were updated without uninstalling the previous version. which I am guessing would have happened if anything did..

If after a reboot you end up with the same driver version then you will have to check your add/remove programs to see if the drivers/software are listed there..

Windows Vista or Windows 7 steps to roll back your driver:
  1. Click Start
  2. Click Control Panel
  3. Windows Vista: Click System and Maintenance and then System or simply System (in Classic view). Windows 7: Click System and Security and then System.
  4. In the left pane, click Device Manager
  5. Double-click on Display Adapters
  6. Double-click on your NVIDIA GPU
  7. Select the Driver Tab
  8. Click on Roll Back Driver

tragik

Premium Member
Ok, you do have the latest version.. I would continue to roll back or remove your driver.. here is a link to where you can get the "older versions" but you will have to fill out the fields.

Link:
http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Beta

You would choose the GeForce 200 series, then GTS 250, and make sure you choose the "recommended/certified" don't mess with the "beta" version..

May I also add, per the specs your video card is at the lower end of the requirements of this game.. You may still feel lag/issues unless the settings are dropped.. This is from a hardware only standpoint because I do not have the PC version.

tragik

Premium Member
you are right on the other one.. the 285 is the software version..

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts