• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I figure we should talk about the best part (imo) of TES games that is the lore. I've done some studying myself so I know a bit of TES lore but nothing close to getting a Ph.D scholarship on it. I assume you guys are generally knowledgeable on TES universe? If not, I'll be happy to answer some questions for you.

Well, to start off, I think the lore in Skyrim will be pretty good. A lot has happened after the oblivion crisis... The Argonians ransacked Morrowind after the volcano erupted so I hear that there'll be a lot of Dunmer refuge. Since the covenant is broken and the dragonblood no longer flows in the royal bloodline of the empire, the empire is collapsing. Some of the provinces seceded from the empire. Some are still loyal to the empire but there will be rebels. In Skyrim, the rebels would be the Stormcloaks and you can choose either them or the empire and make a huge difference.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Where exactly does one find the lore updates that took place after “Oblivion”? Do they publish lore books or something like that?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yeah, there's a book called Infernal City which takes place somewhere after the oblivion crisis. The new book, Lord of Souls came out not so long ago which is a sequel to Infernal City. I didn't read the book yet but I hear it's pretty decent.

Renegader

Administrator
Staff member
If I pre-ordered the game from another store I could get 3 of the Elder Scrolls books. I was thinking of getting then, but then I found a better deal.

So there's a book based on Skyrim, or the other way around?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I wasn't aware that there were 3 TES novels. I believe the novel just picks up where Oblivion left off and Skyrim picks up where the novels left off, probably few hundred years after. It would be interesting to see some books and other documents in-game about the events from the novel. I didn't read the book so I don't know exactly what happened. I'll probably order them in amazon and read them eventually.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
That's a pretty sweet deal with two books. Anyways, I heard of people who read it expected it to be a terrible game-novel but they were pleasantly surprised. I take that as a positive review. It's not required reading to play Skyrim obviously but I think it's nice to read something that connects Oblivion and Skyrim historically.

Jeruhmi

That's a pretty sweet deal with two books. Anyways, I heard of people who read it expected it to be a terrible game-novel but they were pleasantly surprised. I take that as a positive review. It's not required reading to play Skyrim obviously but I think it's nice to read something that connects Oblivion and Skyrim historically.
I guess that means that the books aren't written in the best way? Hearing that puts me off reading them. Then again... I don't read much these days.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Er, Jeruhmi, they were pleasantly surprised. I’m pretty sure that means that they enjoyed them and found them to be well-written.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I think they probably meant "I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't suck as much" It's not a bad review but not really a good one either. Anyways, I'll be reading them for the lore rather than the story. I guess that's a weird reason to read a book. Actually, that's probably one of the main reason people would read novels based on a game or a movie. TES novel does sound interesting though. The lore is very rich and it does have a lot to work with. Unlike Starwars novel which basically tries to unwind and justify the mess Lucas made with this prequel trilogy...

Jeruhmi

Er, Jeruhmi, they were pleasantly surprised. I’m pretty sure that means that they enjoyed them and found them to be well-written.
Saying that they are pleasantly surprised does not mean the book was well written. They could just be implying that it turned out better than they thought it may have been. If it was a great read they would use a word like greatly.

Vimalamitra

Professional complainer
Saying that they are pleasantly surprised does not mean the book was well written. They could just be implying that it turned out better than they thought it may have been. If it was a great read they would use a word like greatly.

Usually books based on games tend fall into two categories: "it was readable" or "terrible". People have praised Warhammer 40 000 novels, but I found them to be unsurprising and full of clichés. Well, I have to say, it's pleasant experience, because you know what to expect, but there is nothing else.

On other hand, it's not fair to anyone to compare their works to George R. R. Martin or Iain M. Banks.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts