1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

PC Skyrim lag issues, yes another thread but please read

Discussion in 'Skyrim Help' started by Sh3llshock, Dec 20, 2011.

?

Do you experience lag even with a nice rig? i.e pc hardware is badaxx

1. Yes, even on low settings I get intermittent lag

100.0%
  2. No, I get no lag at all.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes, I get lag but its because of my computer hardware is not capable of running high settings

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Sh3llshock

Sh3llshock New Member

Hi,
    I am having lag issues in Skyrim. This lag issue is almost intermittent at the same times always. For example, I could be picking a lock or just walking around in one of my house. What happens is, every couple minutes(usually 3-5 minutes) my game will lag for about 30 seconds then return to normal. I have the game settings on low and below are my computer specs. The only things I have tried so far is to delete a bunch of the saved files and I read that if you wait/sleep and let the "world" play catch up this might help, but so far none of it helps.

Custom box
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Geforce 9800 - 512mb memory
    4GB RAM- Dskill
    Intel Q6600 quad core 2.6 GHZ
    page file size 6GB

I know there are a lot of tweaks out there people have been trying, and I have searched but there is a lot of information. Can anyone give me some tweaks I may do to my computer or the game to stop the lag. Even running on completely low settings I get this. and I get it on medium settings as well. I don't think I can run it in high mode. My system needs a few upgrades lol I admit.I havn't tried turning the grass off but whatever may help. Im looking for advice and tips on how to maybe lower or stop the lag all together.

Could it be just computer performance? It almost always lag when a fight breaks out and always when a dragon first comes. I just tab to go to menu, let the lag stop, then I start at it again.

I have used tuneup utilities along with my knowledge to turn off all non needed background processes. The only thing that runs while my skyrim is running are needed windows processes.When I run the game I use MSI afterburner to set my GPU fan speed to 100 % and a little boost on the core, shader and memory clocks speeds. I do note through logs that my CPU temperature while running the game stays at 90* While I await for responses I am going to run the game in windowed mode with task manager to see if my CPU spikes and check memory etc.

Thanks in advanced!

-Sh3llshock
  2. Sh3llshock

Sh3llshock New Member

Just a quick update. I just turned off some windows features. Indexing, Search, XPS crap and a couple other things. So, I am going to begin my test and see what my computer CPU/MEM is at when I lag.
  3. Sh3llshock

Sh3llshock New Member

Ok, so I am actually excited. After turning off some of those windows features the game hasn't lagged YET. But i only played for 5-10 minutes and killed a couple of creatures. I still would gladly accept more tweaks etc.
    While playing My cpu usage was barely being used and I had more than 1GB of memory free. So, I will keep monitoring it. But I am going out of windowed mode back into full screen.
  4. Sh3llshock

Sh3llshock New Member

I am not excited any more. If I play on medium or low settings, in windowed mode, the game doesn't lag. If I play on full screen I lag. no matter what I try to do. WTF ?