Skyrim Jack of All Trades Character

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Lytro

Is it possible to create a jack of all trades character. I was wanting to create one, but I can't really think of how to make the character. I want to know what race would best fit this character, with their abilities. Also I want to know what skills are needed and what skills are unnecessary because their are only so many perks that you can get. Another thing is, is a jack of all trades character a good idea on master?

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Most people would say to not try and make a jack of all trades character because perk points are limited and in Skyrim, perks matter more than skill value. Imo anyway. However, if you are doing to for RP then I say go for it!

Mostly if you try to become a jack of all trades this will mean your non combat skills will go toward your overall enemy level thus making them harder while you are weaker as you won't be focused solely on combat skills.

But I say go for it. Some of my most favorite characters have been gimped. :)

Go for it, Im having an epically good time with my level 69 Nord.

I can get you a full build and in detail if you want. True perk points are limited, but if you choose the right perks in Enchanting and Smithing and take both to 100 early on in the game..you can create enchanted armor that will help a lot (especially with the duel enchant perk).

My character is great with a board and sword, all magic skills are at 100 (with 100% fortify destruction cost on gear set). Im good with a bow (enchanted and smithed daedric, with a few perks..bow does 200+ damage). Basically its pretty easy, and its really fun because you rarely encounter an "oh pl***" situation

Lytro

Go for it, Im having an epically good time with my level 69 Nord.

I can get you a full build and in detail if you want. True perk points are limited, but if you choose the right perks in Enchanting and Smithing and take both to 100 early on in the game..you can create enchanted armor that will help a lot (especially with the duel enchant perk).

My character is great with a board and sword, all magic skills are at 100 (with 100% fortify destruction cost on gear set). Im good with a bow (enchanted and smithed daedric, with a few perks..bow does 200+ damage). Basically its pretty easy, and its really fun because you rarely encounter an "oh pl***" situation

Thank you, and I would like a full build and in detail if you could give me one. I would appreciate it.

I will post in this thread in the morning with a writeup

Siah

^ basically what tigersharkdude said. One of my favorite builds was a spellsword necromancer with particular perk focus in conjuration, destruction, one-hand, with some in smith, ench, and alteration. I'd personally pick between destruction and archery for perks as both are distance focused and you still want perks to spend elsewhere... but the bound weapons are pretty excellent early on.

Admiral Snackbar

it's a...well, you know.
I'm working in a JOAT character myself. Imperial spellsword... I'm only level 25, but my plan is to focus combat to archery and one handed, swords only, so as to overcome perk limitations. I will max out smithing, and dabble in enchanting. As for magika, I am only adding perks to destruction and restoration, while ignoring all others. This is my first time playing, so time will tell.

RoG Delta

I would say for a jack, put points into conjuration (twin souls is beast), speech (fence can be really nice, plus selling stolen stuff), enchanting (dual enchant + insightful enchanter+ enchanter 5/5= 2 free schools of magic) some destruction (dual and intense flames or whatever) smithing (prob right side+ arcane) archery or whatever your character wants to do.

ShadowGambit

You can be a Jack of all trade: having all skills or so at level 100. That will take you to level 81.

Remember, Jack of all trade means "good in all, master of none". But for a good build in Skyrim, I would just say "Master of few". The few being Enchanting and Alchemy.

You will have 2 main limitations in your build : Number of perk points (only 80 max) and .. Carry Weight limit (you will have to carry around A LOT of equipment). For example, you will have to carry a shield, a 2 handed weapon, a One Handed weapon, a dagger and a bow as weapons. As armor, at least one set of Light armor and 1 set of heavy armor... and 5-6 sets of clothes enchanted with different bonuses to cover all your non combat skills.

For the perk I would only take what looks like the most essential to me in each skill tree. Here what my skill set up would look like:

Smithing (4)
  • Steel
  • Elven
  • Advanced Armor (will cover light AND Heavy armor)
  • Arcane Smithing
Elven armor will take you to the cap with your Light Armor perks. Steel Plate will take you to the cap with your Heavy armor perks. And that' WITHOUT a shield.​

Archery (5)
  • Overdraw 2/5
  • Eagle Eye
  • Steady hand 1/2
Your bow will do about 140+ damage, depending on the type of bow you are using. Elven bow will do the best damage though, because of your smithing.​
One-Handed (3)
  • Armsman 3/5
You will do about 105+ damage with your weapon, depending on the type of weapon you are using. Elven weapon will do the best damage though, because of your smithing.​
Two-Handed (3)
  • Barbarian 3/5
You will do about 125+ damage with your weapon, depending on the type of weapon you are using. Elven weapon will do the best damage though, because of your smithing.​
Heavy Armor (4)
  • Juggernaut 1/5
  • Fist of Steel
  • Cushioned
  • Conditioning
Block (3)
  • Shield Wall 1/5
  • Deflect Arrows
  • Elemental protection
The Goal here is to get the 50% elemental protection​
Alchemy (7)
  • Alchemist 5/5
  • Physician
  • Benefactor
So you can get +147% fortify potions. You will need all type of potions outside of poisons and invisibility (because you have the spell).​

Sneak (4)
  • Stealth 1/5
  • Backstab
  • Deadly Aim
  • Assassin Blade
The left tree will not be necessary if you use Invisibiity and Muffle spell/enchantment.​

Light Armor (4)
  • Agile Defender 1/5
  • Custom Fit
  • Unhindered
  • Wind Walker
Pickpocket (3)
  • Light Fingers 1/5
  • Night Thief
  • Extra Pocket
Extra pocket will be much needed in this build​
Speech (3)
  • Haggling
  • Allure
  • merchant
You can sell any type of merchant to any merchant. Example, a Blacksmith will buy ingredients from you with this perk.​

Lockpicking (5)
  • Novice
  • Apprentice
  • Adept
  • Golden Touch
  • Treasure Hunter
In any other build I would NEVER put any points in this tree. It is useless, even more with the Skeleton key. But because it is a JACK OF ALL TRADE, i tried to make the best of it.​
Enchanting (8)
  • Enchanter 5/5
  • Insightful enchanter
  • Corpus enchanter
  • Extra Effects
The Goal is to make pieces of apparel with +29% Smithing and Alchemy or Fortify (spells type). Also +48% archery/One-Handed/Two-handed.​
Conjuration (6)
  • Novice
  • Mystic Binding
  • Soul Stealer
  • Summoner 1/2
  • Atromancy
  • Elemental potency
Atronach is more versatile than undead. and Jack of All Trades are about versatility.​
Alteration (5)
  • Novice
  • Apprentice
  • Magic resistance 3/3
Obviously, it is to get the much needed Magic resistance. Also detect life, waterbreathing and Paralyze are useful.​
Restoration (4)
  • Novice
  • Regeneration
  • Recovery
  • Respite 1/2
Illusion (4)
  • Novice
  • Animage
  • Kindred Mage
  • Quiet Casting
Quiet casting appies tio all spells and even ... shouts... you know, a Quiet Shout :)
Destruction
  • Novice
  • Augmented Shock 1
  • Desintegrate
I chose the Shock damage because it is the least resisted and because the Desintegrate is the most useful "low health" perk.​
Final Word

As I said, Good in all but master of the few. All trees are covered, even if some like lockpicking are useless in my point of view. 80 perks spend. Also, I would advise 200 Magicka, 450 health and 450 Stamina, to be able to carry more. In the same idea, choose the Lover stone at the beginning and the Steed stone at the end game.​

Critics are welcome

Thank you, and I would like a full build and in detail if you could give me one. I would appreciate it.
Here are my perks (and yes I have two unused perk points ATM)
Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

Health- 450
Magika- 390
Stamina- 190

Gear Set (everything is made by myself)
Armor Rating- 712
Amulet- destruction speels cost 25% less, One-handed does 40% more damage)
Ring- destruction speels cost 25% less, One-handed does 40% more damage)
Armor- Daedric Armor, 262 rating ( destruction speels cost 25% less, Increase health 50 points)
Boots- Daedric Boots, 162 rating ( Carrying capacity +37points, One-handed does 40% more damage)
Gauntlets- Daedric Gauntlets, 162 rating (One-handed does 40% more damage, Bows do 40% more damage)
Helmet- Daedric Helmet, 127 rating ( destruction speels cost 25% less, Bows do 40% more damage)

IF you need anything else let me know

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts