• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

hitmanov

I'm getting regular freezes on area transition (using doors etc.).
To be precise: When I enter/leave a house, game loads the area and either it freezes on a black screen or once the area is loaded - I actually "get to the other side of the door" but it is followed by a instant freeze.
Thought the auto-save may be responsible for it but disabling it didn't help.
Will this game ever be playable ? ;(... I do not intend to buy 10 various PC rigs just to be sure that on one of them it actually will work...

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Reset graphis settings, lower graphics settings.

Or try adding these lines in Skyrim.ini (in your user directory, NOT where TESV.exe is)

In [General] section:
Code:
uGridsToLoad=5
uInteriorCellBuffer=32
uExteriorCellBuffer=64
fMasterFilePreLoadMB=256.0000
iPreLoadSizeLimit=536870912

In [Papyrus] section
Code:
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=3000000000
fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0

hitmanov

Thank you for fast reply.
To be honest I'd like to avoid lowering uGridsToLoad as it is quite crucial for me to keep it 9.
I'm gonna try changing preload values and the papyrus section first. If that doesn't work will try lowering grids values.
Will give info if any of these work.

EDIT
Doing everything except lowering ugridstoload didn't help.
And reverting ugridstoload made Skyrim completely unplayable. I'm now just angry. Didn't know the reverting doesn't work and now I get CTD every time I start/load game.

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
Sorry about the troubles... You need to know what you’re doing before messing with ugridstoload.

The settings i posted are the generally recommended settings - you can disagree all you like. They would not have given you trouble if you had not already changed the ugridstoload from its default value which is 5.

Why do you need ugridstoload at 9? Your machine probably cannot handle it.
The default value is 5, at least try it with 7 which is the most stable according to the article quoted below.

General Performance

uGridsToLoad=5 - This variable does not exist and need to be added to bottom of the [General] section of the Skyrim.ini file to be implemented. It controls the radius around the character within which the engine loads up the most detailed objects, characters and terrain. It can have a substantial impact on both image quality and performance. Any value assigned to this variable needs to be in odd increments, e.g. 3, 5, 7, 9, 11. The screenshot comparisons above demonstrate the way in which there is progressively higher detail in the distance as the value of this variable is raise.

While altering this variable is tempting given the image quality improvement it provides, you should experiment with any uGridsToLoad value in various areas, particularly those where you usually experience the lowest FPS. The default of 5 is already a good compromise of performance and image quality, but if struggling for FPS, you can drop it to a lower value such as 3, though Bethesda strongly advises against this as it may lead to game instability.

Importantly: Aside from lowering performance and causing potential instability due to the greatly increased resource usage when raising uGridsToLoad, if you save a game after you have altered this value, the new value will be incorporated into your saved game. This is worth noting because the game only allows you to load a saved game which has an equal or lower uGridsToLoad value than your current value; you will not be able to open a saved game with a higher uGridsToLoad value. This means if you lower your uGridsToLoad value again, you won't be able to load up the saves which used the higher value. So you should extensively test any change to your uGridsToLoad before committing to saving the game. If you need to revert a change in uGridsToload in an existing save game follow the steps below:
  1. Start Skyrim and load up a saved game.
  2. Use ALT+TAB to switch out of Skyrim and back to your Desktop.
  3. Edit the Skyrim.ini file as normal, modifying the uGridsToLoad variable to the desired lower value. Save Skyrim.ini and close it.
  4. Use ALT+TAB to switch back to Skyrim.
  5. Open the Command Console using the tilde ~ key and type refreshini.
  6. Save your game to a new save slot, and it should now have the correct new uGridsToLoad value.
uExterior Cell Buffer=36- This variable controls the number of world cells (controlled by the uGridsToLoad setting) that are buffered to RAM to provide smoother transitions and improve stability. The general rule for the optimal value to assign to this variable is to take your current uGridsToLoad value, add one to it, then multiply it by itself. For example, if you set a uGridsToLoad value of 7, change uExterior Cell Buffer to 64.

http://www.geforce.com/Optimize/Guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide

hitmanov

Wow. I really thought I had known how to revert ugrids. I searched the problem and it seems I hadn't been up to date as since update 1.3 the old reverting method (one I used) stopped working and caused more problems.
Thanks for informing.
And about ugrids, I am quite certain my machine can handle it though I speak what the reasons are here.
Still though gonna lower it just to be sure and post the effects.

UPDATE

Before deciding to test ugrids I deleted my .ini's completely then regenerated them with Launcher and set ugrids to 9 properly and... it seems that it solved the issue. Brought back some settings from the old .inis though but the one concerning memory settings and tested for a longer time (my tests are just simple: go through doors in some city like 30 times).
Earlier I froze like 1 per 15-20 transitions, did about 100 transitions in couple cities and no freeze.
Probably the reason of freezing were lines:
iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=3000000000
fMasterFilePreLoadMB=128.0000
iPreLoadSizeLimit=536870912
Now they're set to the default values (by simply not having them in the .inis).
Now will go through live testing by enjoying the game.

TheLordofNyrin

I am having the exact same problem but for me it doesnt even matter if a door is involved because sometimes it happens in between interior levels, or trasitions from interior to exterior, exterior to interior or exterior to exterior. also once skyrim freezes i then have to CTL+ALT+DEL to get out of it, and when i relaunch skyrim it will promptly CTD on me within 5 seconds. Without any modifications to any files. I personally blame steam because it downloads something after every freeze.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts