1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Skyrim FPS problems?

Discussion in 'Skyrim Help' started by Lewcas, Apr 25, 2012.

1. Monolith The Progeny of Vikings

Message Count:
    There's a simple solution to this problem, if you still feel like you need to tweak the visuals/performance (which I recommend, since the shadows etc can be improved a thousand times over compared to the vanilla settings, not to mention all the other useful tweaks). Simply set both the skyrimprefs.ini and skyrim.ini to read only after you're done editing them (right click the files and click the box at the bottom). ;) Then you can start the launcher and it won't automatically force your preferences back to default.

Let us know if any other problems arise! Glad to hear you finally got your FPS up, btw! :cool:
  2. Skullrattla Button Pusher

Message Count:
    I believe this is obsolete. I had probems with the recent patches which were gone after I removed the Memory tweaks in the ini file. If those lines were good they would have been included by Bethesda in the updated default ini files, like other stuff that was added.

It sounds like the OP has 2 graphics card in that laptop, the Nvidia and the Intel one, and the auto-detect thing was messing him/her around (the standard Windows drivers experience :confused: )
  3. Dagmar Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim

Message Count:
    Yes, he has hybrid graphics but the problem isn't Windows, it's the Alienware configuration. For that particular model it disables the dedicated GPU when it's unplugged and powered up but sometimes it doesn't re-enable the dedicated GPU once its plugged in or even after its powered up while plugged in. He can just do a manual change of the BIOS if it happens again in the future.