Skyrim FPS problems?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Monolith

The Progeny of Vikings
I've tried to tweak some settings and have found some settings i should use in skyrimprefs.ini, the only problem is that when I save and open skyrim, the settings automatically detects whats best for my hardware which turns everything back to ultra high.

any ideas here?

There's a simple solution to this problem, if you still feel like you need to tweak the visuals/performance (which I recommend, since the shadows etc can be improved a thousand times over compared to the vanilla settings, not to mention all the other useful tweaks). Simply set both the skyrimprefs.ini and skyrim.ini to read only after you're done editing them (right click the files and click the box at the bottom). ;) Then you can start the launcher and it won't automatically force your preferences back to default.

Let us know if any other problems arise! Glad to hear you finally got your FPS up, btw! :cool:

Skullrattla

Button Pusher
No problem Lewcas! :) Best of luck! Here is a memory tweak from the above mentioned site which might be especially helpful:

• Go to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim.
  • Open skyrim.ini, and check for [Papyrus] section. You can add this section to your config and then add the following values under it, if it isn’t present.
  • Add iMinMemoryPageSize=100000 and iMaxMemoryPageSize=5000000
  • Add iMaxAllocatedMemoryBytes=1800000000

I believe this is obsolete. I had probems with the recent patches which were gone after I removed the Memory tweaks in the ini file. If those lines were good they would have been included by Bethesda in the updated default ini files, like other stuff that was added.

It sounds like the OP has 2 graphics card in that laptop, the Nvidia and the Intel one, and the auto-detect thing was messing him/her around (the standard Windows drivers experience :confused: )

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
It sounds like the OP has 2 graphics card in that laptop, the Nvidia and the Intel one, and the auto-detect thing was messing him/her around (the standard Windows drivers experience :confused: )
Yes, he has hybrid graphics but the problem isn't Windows, it's the Alienware configuration. For that particular model it disables the dedicated GPU when it's unplugged and powered up but sometimes it doesn't re-enable the dedicated GPU once its plugged in or even after its powered up while plugged in. He can just do a manual change of the BIOS if it happens again in the future.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts