• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
The Hammerfell Chronicles seems to be going nowhere for me at the moment. Instead of just sitting here not doing anything I figured it would be better to just try writing something else. My idea is simple in theory. I want to write a little alternative history/fiction for Skyrim. Something that takes place a few years after Alduin is defeated. Before I begin though I am coming up with a few basic ideas. Past events and things like that. I'd like to hear your thoughts on what I have so far as well as have you voice any thoughts/ideas/etc that you may have that could make it more interesting. Here is the list I have so far and while small I do plan to build on/around it.

* The Dovahkiin and Alduin fatally wound each other during their battle.
* The Stormcloaks win the civil war and declare independence.
* The Aldmeri Dominion invade Skyrim and easily take control.
* The Jarls and their families are executed.
* The Grey Beards are slain. High Hrothgar is reduced to rubble.
* The DB is eradicated by the Imperial Army.
* The TG scatters and th ex members become petty thugs. Mercer disappears.
* The Silver Hand wipe out all of the Circle. The Companions diminish.
* The Bards College is closed. Nordic song and tale outlawed.
* The Winterhold College is razed. All books are burned.
* The Word Walls are destroyed. Nordic ruins/burial grounds sealed.
* Non mer have been reduced to secondary citizenship status. Slaves almost.

As I've said I plan to add, change, etc this list as I go along. Not everything that gets listed will be mentioned in the story but it'll serve as a simple 'backstory' or set up for people who may read it. To get them more familiar with the setting, so to speak. Anyway, if you have anything you'd like to add or say then please do so.

*Edit* I'm also debating if I should use third or first person and whether or not I should stick to one character or have the story told from various character perspectives.

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Whoa. It's like a dystopian post-apocalyptic scenario. I LIKE IT.

I immediately pictured it, film-style, in my head: montages of some of that stuff happening. Peaceful High Hrothgar suddenly being invaded and the Greybeards being slain, the burning of the books in the Arcaneum, Jarl Balgruuf being executed. I think it would be great to include short scenes of all of that as a prologue. It would not only work as exposition, but set up a tense dramatic tone for the story.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Whoa. It's like a dystopian post-apocalyptic scenario. I LIKE IT.

I immediately pictured it, film-style, in my head: montages of some of that stuff happening. Peaceful High Hrothgar suddenly being invaded and the Greybeards being slain, the burning of the books in the Arcaneum, Jarl Balgruuf being executed. I think it would be great to include short scenes of all of that as a prologue. It would not only work as exposition, but set up a tense dramatic tone for the story.

Haha. That is like how I was picturing it. I do plan to add a few of the things into the story but not everything. At least not in detail. But yeah, I do want it to be a dystopian post-apocalyptic scenario. Where you revisit a place you love only to find so much changed. I think it could be interesting. :)

If you have any ideas or whatnot you'd like to see in the story then please let me know. I'm also debating if I want to find someone to collaborate with.

Docta Corvina

Yeah, I also really love this as well! My first response upon reading it was also, "WHOA!". :D I'll try to think about anything that might occur to me for this idea, but it looks to me like you've got a great launching point!

I know I'd LOVE to see artwork accompany this...just, damn!

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Yeah, I also really love this as well! My first response upon reading it was also, "WHOA!". :D I'll try to think about anything that might occur to me for this idea, but it looks to me like you've got a great launching point!

I know I'd LOVE to see artwork accompany this...just, damn!

Thank you. I'd love to have artwork for this as well. But unless someone offers I doubt it will happen as I lack the skill. :) If anything comes to you idea wise be sure to let me know.

Docta Corvina

Thank you. I'd love to have artwork for this as well. But unless someone offers I doubt it will happen as I lack the skill. :) If anything comes to you idea wise be sure to let me know.

Man, I wish I still could draw. Haven't done it in close to ten years and whatever ability I had has since flown the coop. :confused: I've thought about sketching random Skyrim peoples - I may just do it. May just give it a shot.

But yeah, this is one of the most intriguing Skyrim story plot ideas I've ever heard of, so I'm really excited for it!

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Artwork would be nice. I can just imagine High Hrothgar burning in the night sky as broken as people weep along the 7,000 steps. :) So many ideas going through my head now. Writing perspective. Should I use a solo perspective or multiple characters. Among other things. This is why I posted about the idea. To get ideas and share before and during writing it. Collaboration makes things better. Most times. :)

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
Writing perspective. Should I use a solo perspective or multiple characters.

Will it focus more on the story of what's happening in Skyrim, or the story of what happens to your main character? If the former, I'd go with multiple POVs in third-person perspective. If the latter, single POV in whichever perspective you feel most comfortable with.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Will it focus more on the story of what's happening in Skyrim, or the story of what happens to your main character? If the former, I'd go with multiple POVs in third-person perspective. If the latter, single POV in whichever perspective you feel most comfortable with.

Hm. Well I'm leaning more toward the overall experience. Get the feel from every angle so to speak. So chances are I'll try using multiple characters (if I'm creative enough). Maybe go back and forth between them as the story unfolds. Maybe from the perspective of a enslaved nord, a Thalmor agent, etc. Choices...

bulbaquil

...is not Sjadbek, he just runs him.
Well, what's the plotline? Overthrow the elves?

If so... keep one or two Word Walls around (maybe those in Nordic burial chambers they forgot about or something).

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Well, what's the plotline? Overthrow the elves?

If so... keep one or two Word Walls around (maybe those in Nordic burial chambers they forgot about or something).

No actual plot yet. I'm working out the whole setting, atmosphere, etc first. Setting the mood and tone. I find that plots and characters can be good but fail if not set in the right, well, setting.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
While chatting in shoutbox I came up with a few more ideas.

* Reeducation camps where non mer children are sent to grow up with elven thinking, etc.
* Falmer pits where resistant humans (or anyone) who speaks out against the AD are thrown into.
* Others to come.

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
Is it considered double or triple posting if its done in your own topic? Anyway, I'm struggling coming up with character ideas for this story. So if anyone has any, share them with me. :)

Also, do you think 50 years is a good enough time lapse for the story to take place after the events of Skyrim?

dunklunk

You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
So it sounds to me like the AD is in charge here. Are they and they alone responsible for all the destruction? If so, a narrator from their perspective would be intriguing, along the lines of how we did it and why we did it, etc. If not, different narrators from the other responsible factions for all the chaos. Then, would the remaining factions wish to converge into a single ruling unit, or look to wipe each other out. Last faction standing wins? With numerous narrators, you can bet each one believes they're right, and sorta the chosen one to rule over the survivors.

After all, isn't that usually what post-apopalyptica is about? Who rules and who is ruled?

Uther Pundragon

The Harbinger of Awesome
Staff member
So it sounds to me like the AD is in charge here. Are they and they alone responsible for all the destruction? If so, a narrator from their perspective would be intriguing, along the lines of how we did it and why we did it, etc. If not, different narrators from the other responsible factions for all the chaos. Then, would the remaining factions wish to converge into a single ruling unit, or look to wipe each other out. Last faction standing wins? With numerous narrators, you can bet each one believes they're right, and sorta the chosen one to rule over the survivors.

After all, isn't that usually what post-apopalyptica is about? Who rules and who is ruled?

I'm probably going with different viewpoints. Best way to fully experience the whole story. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts