• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jei El

We will be avenged.
The Barbarian Build - Skyrim

Be Warned, this is my first build.

Although I know this build has probably already been made, I'd like to make my own. Partly because of the interpretation of "Barbarians" as they were known, to use two handed weapons and heavy armor, in builds. Although I'm sure they might've from what I understand they wore little armor to almost no armor. This usually included fur or leather pants, sometimes the corresponding body,maybe a helmet made of bronze, chain, or iron. But I'm going to focus on mainly using a hide shield, the best one handed weapon I can use, the topless fur pants, and fur gloves and boots. I tried to base it off of what I've read about Barbarians.

The Build Itself -

This mainly uses one handed axes or swords to deal damage, although a mace would work. I don't like using 2 handed weapons because they're too slow. I used a nord, but any class works and has it's benefits. I used the Nord because they're natives to Skyrim and already have good base skills. I added a tattoo to look like woad and scars as if he's battled. Another thing is lycanthropy, it's useful so I recommend doing the Companion's quest.

Skills -

One Handed - Focus on using the axe or swords I mentioned. All that really matters is dealing damage, so maces can be used. Two Handed weapons are slow, but it's your choice.

Light Armor - This is what's keeping you alive other than the damage dealt to kill. I use light because it's easier to move in and get around, which is vital to killing.

Block -This is optional, but a good block can save your self, and give you time to deal a finishing hit.

Smithing -Making your own armor and weapons can help you in the long run. I'd personally base your level off of combat and not smithing, but it helps a lot.

I used these perks as a basis, and altered them a little bit as I went; so you can change them as suited.http://skyrimcalculator.com/287841

Perks - Block) Shield Wall (2/5) Quick Reflexes,Deflect Arrows,Power/Disarming/Deadly Bash, Shield Charge.
- 1-H) Armsman (2/5) Hack and Slash, Fighting Stance
- Light Armor - All perks.
- Smithing - I left this empty because it's optional really.

The reason I made it level 20 is because I like to keep my characters low.

Equipment -

Head - I usually use a fur cap or nothing.
Body - Fur Armor ( With Chest ) or Fur Armor (W/out Chest).
Boots - Fur Boots.
Gloves - Fur Gloves.
Jewelry - Just wear something that gives enchantments to your main skills.

That's it, my Barbarian build. It's my first so if there's a wrong aspect or something please tell me. Anyway, Thanks for reading. - Jei.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
Hopefully you can own people like this with that build.
1234778791_flipbook_shooting.gif

DJ Luigi

Mama-mia play that song again!
I like the build. By the way, your skyrim perk calculator link is broken. I'm not entirely sure if a barbarian would use a shield though, I always thought of a barbarian similar to a berserker, dual wielding axes and using Alchemy potions to boost damage.

Here's an example of a perk set up. http://skyrimcalculator.com/#71040

Jei El

We will be avenged.
Well there's many types of barbarians. Mine uses the board and sword. Although dual wielding would work too I added the lycanthropy as making him "Berserk" when the time comes for a big battle.

Sent from my PantechP9070 using Tapatalk 2

Jei El

We will be avenged.
They didn't use two handed weapons, and actually wore little to no armor, I'm not dating this is true for all tribes but that's glue I made it. It'd be more realistic to wear full for because of the cold Skyrim climate. Why did you include pickpocket?

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I feel a slight problem is that no one likes to differenciate a barbarian from a Berserker. Now that is just me. now a berserker is a subset of the Barbarian archetype but still. Good build man Imma have to try it.

EDIT: the fact that the 2-handed tree has a skill titled Barbarian doesn't help. :p

Jei El

We will be avenged.
That is a good point, about the difference. This build is a barbarian,a berserker was a unit sent in first to demoralize the enemy warriors killing as many people as possible before dying themselves.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
That is a good point, about the difference. This build is a barbarian,a berserker was a unit sent in first to demoralize the enemy warriors killing as many people as possible before dying themselves.

Which in game terms is almost no armor and maximum damage output. which is the Duel-Wielding build. A barbarian is just light armored soldier basically.

Barbarian

Fearsome brutes who inspire fear and dread in the hearts of their enemies. Like a storm, swift and powerful. Finding little use for heavy armor, they rely on smashing their foes into the ground.

Specialization: Combat
Attributes: Speed, Strength
Skills:
Armorer
Athletics
Blade
Block
Blunt
Hand to Hand
Light Armor

This is the Barbarian build from Oblivion and previous Elder Scrolls games. You notice the Block specialty. that means some use shields. While the picture shows a two-handed weapon.
So we can infer that Jei's build is what Barbarian build from the developers perspective :p
But do what is fun I love taking other peoples builds and tweaking them for my own personal version.

MagicBlade

Instinctive
I think, Beserker is a sub-class of the Barbarian. A barbarian has many different styles ie. dual wield, sword and shield, and two handed. The barbarian is that type of huge badass dude that owns everyone with brute strength, The berserker is pretty much the same, yet uses speed, savageness, and a no-hold-back style. Theire essential people who run in to fights not worrying about them selves. It's however you really want your barbarian. Big badass two handed beast. Agile yet strong dual wielder, or traditional orthodox shield and sword technique.... up to you,

DanielMM

They didn't use two handed weapons, and actually wore little to no armor, I'm not dating this is true for all tribes but that's glue I made it. It'd be more realistic to wear full for because of the cold Skyrim climate. Why did you include pickpocket?

I think Barbarians are morally bad Warriors, that means they steal, they don't obey to anyone (in opposite to morally good warriors like knights, imperials, sword and shield infantary, and so on). I believe they should wear light armor but the game does not offer a barbarian-like one so I had to choose the side that resembles me the most (Iron, Orcish and Dragonplate). I mean, can you imagine the finesse of a barbarian with a glass-made armor set? xD

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
I think Barbarians are morally bad Warriors, that means they steal, they don't obey to anyone (in opposite to morally good warriors like knights, imperials, sword and shield infantary, and so on). I believe they should wear light armor but the game does not offer a barbarian-like one so I had to choose the side that resembles me the most (Iron, Orcish and Dragonplate). I mean, can you imagine the finesse of a barbarian with a glass-made armor set? xD

I suppose your interpretation is your own lol I won't lie in terms of characters the Barbarian can depend on your view.
As Barbarian Armor. Stormcloak Officer armor comes to mind.

Jei El

We will be avenged.

I guess you can consider them that, seeing that they plunder, rape, pillage, maim, and lots more for their own safety. Although, you can't really compare them to what you mentioned. When you think about it, Knights kill for their leader, Barbarians just kill for wealth. And the game does provide Barbarian-Like armor, fur. And I can't really imagine a barbarian in glass armor, because glass is glass.

"Barbatian" is originally a latin term for "Outlander." Basically, anyone else but Rome. From an Imperial perspective, that's you, Nords. The various Goths, Gauls, Franks, Teutons, Kelts, and eventually Mongols/hun.

If you're talking Historically, they would use pretty much any weapon except Greatswords (They lacked the metalurgy to make blades that long) and Maces, which hadn't been invented yet.

In Skyrim, Barbarian is a 2H skill Perk, which tends to confuse people. In Elder games, they were pretty much exactly this:
Barbarian

Fearsome brutes who inspire fear and dread in the hearts of their enemies. Like a storm, swift and powerful. Finding little use for heavy armor, they rely on smashing their foes into the ground.

Specialization: Combat
Attributes: Speed, Strength
Skills:
Armorer
Athletics
Blade
Block
Blunt
Hand to Hand
Light Armor
You can use block to Bash with a Battleaxe, which makes up for the striking speed by creating an opening. I guess you could do it with a weapon too, and there's no reason a Barbarian couldn't use a Shield. In fact, the Hide Shield is modeled off of a Frankish/Teutonic design called a Targe.
723px-Highland_targe.jpg

They also used bows, so really the only prerequisites for a Barbarian are Light Armor, and weapon skills.

DanielMM

I guess you can consider them that, seeing that they plunder, rape, pillage, maim, and lots more for their own safety. Although, you can't really compare them to what you mentioned. When you think about it, Knights kill for their leader, Barbarians just kill for wealth. And the game does provide Barbarian-Like armor, fur. And I can't really imagine a barbarian in glass armor, because glass is glass.

I meant that glass armour is just wrong for a barbarian character and said heavy armour comes close (looking-wise to what barbarian armour could look like). But I guess your right, it all depends of the definition one gives to a barbarian,

Jei El

We will be avenged.
I meant that glass armour is just wrong for a barbarian character and said heavy armour comes close (looking-wise to what barbarian armour could look like). But I guess your right, it all depends of the definition one gives to a barbarian,

Well that, and where the hell would a barbarian get glass armor? Lol.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I'm starting a new barbarian character. Anbjorn Wild-Bear! Obviously Nord lol. I'm using fur armour exclusively and wielding a 2 handed great sword. I'm not too concerned about historic barbarian weaponry and what a real barbarian would have or wouldn't have done. I am a believer however, that a barbarian of Skyrim who lives off the land and likes to pillage and plunder would not use magic. That's just an aspect I don't think fits the build personally. Light Armour is important however as is the right side of the block tree. Other than that I think that smithing is worth it as I rely on decimating my opponent quickly and with that in mind a Daedric weapon is hard to beat. I shall also build up an immunity to magic through the book of love quest and am even considering putting perks into the alteration tree for the magic resistance perks. Mages are a real worry to you early days but as you become stronger they are not too hard to deal with. I really enjoy play throughs with this build and I hope you do to. Any other ideas or input would be greatly appreciated.

High King of Skyrim

King of the barbarian horde
I think Dragon weapons are pretty barbaric. so there is high lever armor and weapons for your builds. :D
Agreed. They definitely have a barbaric feel to them. What about Daedric artefacts? For instance, the Ruefull Axe and the Volendrung hammer? What other items should a barbarian acquire?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts