• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Omega Dragon

Can't this be considered suggesting to others and getting the word out? I'm being vocal about it and this thread has gotten some attention, the whole idea you need to cram huge boobs and skimpy outfits into the game is annoying to me. But hey, to each their own. I hardly see the appeal in it, and it's frustrating how common they are. I'am vocal about it, I do speak on it.

You're being vocal about not liking skimpy armor regardless of how well done it is and how much effort it takes to create a mod and by proxy you're telling people off for doing mods because you don't like them, that's a negative. You want practical armor? Well be vocal about wanting that while praising the effort it takes to make such mods instead.

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
You're being vocal about not liking skimpy armor regardless of how well done it is and how much effort it takes to create a mod and by proxy you're telling people off for doing mods because you don't like them, that's a negative. You want practical armor? Well be vocal about wanting that while praising the effort it takes to make such mods instead.

You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

If I'm not mistaken anything you put up on the internet is fair game for criticism, I can appreciate the work put into the mods but I will never use them, nor do I see the appeal in them. If by telling people off you mean insulting others I'm not doing that at all, it isn't insulting if I simply disagree.

Omega Dragon

If I'm not mistaken anything you put up on the internet is fair game for criticism, I can appreciate the work put into the mods but I will never use them, nor do I see the appeal in them. If by telling people off you mean insulting others I'm not doing that at all, it isn't insulting if I simply disagree.

Just because something's fair game doesn't mean that it is what should necessarily be done.

I'll put it simple, I sure as hell would not listen to a word you say if I were a modder because not once in this thread have you given any sort of notification of being thankful that there are people out there willing to put their effort into modding to begin with, whereas if instead you had started a thread asking a modder to take their precious effort and time to put into armors you prefer, I'm sure a modder may eventually reply.

Invader Vin

I don't feel it's my place to judge anyone simply because of what sort of mods they make or download. It would be overly presumptuous of me to assume that just because anyone does make a skimpy armor mod or downloads something I might think is questionable that it makes them pathetic, dirty or somehow beneath me. I'm sure there are examples out there in everyday life of ordinary upstanding people who indulge in a bit of kink behind closed doors and are otherwise no worse off because of it.

The same thing applies to Skyrim. It is just a video game--a toy intended for entertainment purposes. It also happens to be a very modifiable game, so what one person does to enhance their own experience is their own business and none of mine. Judging by the number of mods and downloads, there is definitely a demand for skimpy outfits and adult themed mods so I can hardly blame others for meeting it or doing what they enjoy doing.

On the other hand, I do sympathize with some of the complaints many others have and i too would like to see more effort put into other kinds of mods especially more male armors but it's not like the options aren't there at all. There still are plenty of amazingly done choices to pick from and they do exist. We all have a right to complain of course, but I would hope that those of us who do gripe about it at least understand we aren't entitled to expect modders to do something if it isn't their intention.

At least that's the way I feel about it. I would love for someone to make the ultimate mod or armor set that just so happens to cater to every one of my own specific ideals of what is aesthetically pleasing or fun to play, but unless by chance someone happens to develop such a fanciful thing, I'm out of luck. The silver dragon armor comes close but gosh darn it, I just hate that "moth head" helmet. o_O

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Just because something's fair game doesn't mean that it is what should necessarily be done.

I'll put it simple, I sure as hell would not listen to a word you say if I were a modder because not once in this thread have you given any sort of notification of being thankful that there are people out there willing to put their effort into modding to begin with, whereas if instead you had started a thread asking a modder to take their precious effort and time to put into armors you prefer, I'm sure a modder may eventually reply.

Uh, actually, I can critique whatever I damn please. I appreciate work put into things, but I can and will voice my opinion.

I previously stated I can appreciate the work put into any mod, I'am thankful for mods, and I'm voicing my opinion on the subject of mods right now.

Omega Dragon

Uh, actually, I can critique whatever I damn please. I appreciate work put into things, but I can and will voice my opinion.

I previously stated I can appreciate the work put into any mod, I'am thankful for mods, and I'm voicing my opinion on the subject of mods right now.

Like I said, just because you can doesn't mean you should. You can try attracting flies with vinegar all you want, it simply won't happen.

But you did not mention once in this thread you were thankful until I came in and posted my own criticisms (read your OP).

I don't feel it's my place to judge anyone simply because of what sort of mods they make or download. It would be overly presumptuous of me to assume that just because anyone does make a skimpy armor mod or downloads something I might think is questionable that it makes them pathetic, dirty or somehow beneath me. I'm sure there are examples out there in everyday life of ordinary upstanding people who indulge in a bit of kink behind closed doors and are otherwise no worse off because of it.

The same thing applies to Skyrim. It is just a video game--a toy intended for entertainment purposes. It also happens to be a very modifiable game, so what one person does to enhance their own experience is their own business and none of mine. Judging by the number of mods and downloads, there is definitely a demand for skimpy outfits and adult themed mods so I can hardly blame others for meeting it or doing what they enjoy doing.

On the other hand, I do sympathize with some of the complaints many others have and i too would like to see more effort put into other kinds of mods especially more male armors but it's not like the options aren't there at all. There still are plenty of amazingly done choices to pick from and they do exist. We all have a right to complain of course, but I would hope that those of us who do gripe about it at least understand we aren't entitled to expect modders to do something if it isn't their intention.

At least that's the way I feel about it. I would love for someone to make the ultimate mod or armor set that just so happens to cater to every one of my own specific ideals of what is aesthetically pleasing or fun to play, but unless by chance someone happens to develop such a fanciful thing, I'm out of luck. The silver dragon armor comes close but gosh darn it, I just hate that "moth head" helmet. o_O

Yeah, my favorite armor isn't even skimpy-looking, albeit I forget the name of it. There is a need for both kinds of armor, but as I've seen on other forums (many of which are not even closely related to Bethesda/TES/Skyrim/Fallout/etc.), the minority of "practical gear" supporters become the most vocal demanding that everything suit their taste and I've yet to find anyone that's supportive of skimpy armor that's against practical gear.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Like I said, just because you can doesn't mean you should. You can try attracting flies with vinegar all you want, it simply won't happen.

But you did not mention once in this thread you were thankful until I came in and posted my own criticisms (read your OP).

What does that even mean? I should shy away from sharing my opinion because it might offend you? Because you like it? If I made an appeal directed towards a modder, it wouldn't be written the same way OP is.

I felt like there was confusion, so I did state after your post I'am thankful.

Omega Dragon

What does that even mean? I should shy away from sharing my opinion because it might offend you? Because you like it? If I made an appeal directed towards a modder, it wouldn't be written the same way OP is.

I felt like there was confusion, so I did state after your post I'am thankful.

It has nothing to do with offending anyone, really.

Being positive, no matter how negative you can be, provides the best results.

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
It has nothing to do with offending anyone, really.

Being positive, no matter how negative you can be, provides the best results.

"Boobs are great but how about some real armor?"

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
"As much as I enjoy the quality you've put into those kind of luxurious mods, may I suggest you put out some quality work for those such as myself that prefer practical gear as well?"

Ah well said. A bit verbose, but effective. :Dovahkiin:

/goes to work.

Neriad13

Premium Member
As for the armor, there is something to be said for trading mobility for protection. The Romans were fully capable of making plated armor, but decided to stick with a simple breastplate and leather greaves because it afforded them more mobility in battle. Big, bulky armor might provide you with more defense against heavy blows, but it slows you down and drains your endurance much faster. I know that it's a far cry from some of the sexy armor mods we see, but fully plated armor was limited to the best knights and generals back in the day, because of the time/cost it required to create. Everyone else really was running around in leather armor or chain shirts.

Actually, through the Middle Ages at least, there was a gradual progression of armor types. Chainmail came early and was not considered low-grade armor. It was expensive to make and difficult to clean. Its usefulness is not to be understated either - its interlocking mesh was great at preventing cuts, a terrible source for infection back before antiseptic. Just about the only way a fighter of a more common sort could hope to get a mail shirt was by taking one off the corpse of a fallen enemy. Plate armor was developed gradually, in individual pieces meant to supplement chainmail. Even at the height of plate armor production, flexible pieces of chainmail were still used to protect tender areas that needed to move, like the knees, elbows or neck.

In actuality, rather than leather or chain, the lowest-grade sort of armor was made of tough and heavily-padded fabric, like linen.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I would like to point out, with all this historical commentary, that this is not Earth. Not even close, parts of this planet are made from the bones of gods, and time itself is affected by reading scrolls that predate it. Therefore, our history, no matter how similar, has really rather little to do with it. Neriad13, I'd actually like to see a little padded armor, like the Fine Clothes doublet with a little Armor Rating. If anyone is interested in making a mod out of all this discussion. Tasteful, mind you, no clevage windows, or Daedric pasties if you don't mind.

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
It doesn't break immersion for me. Notwthstanding that game developers' desire to make us all filthy little creatures, many ancient cultures had decent standards regarding personal hygiene. There seems to be a lot of comparisons made to the Empire and Ancient Rome, and bathing was an almost daily ritual in Ancient Rome practiced accross a wide variety of social classes. The practice spread through provinces in the north including the building of bath houses around hot springs in Northern Europe (and you can actually see hunters bathing at hot spring locations in Skyrim).
Thing is, I don't see the vanilla skins (without selecting dirt in character creation) as being that dirty, and the "clean" skins just seem like overkill to me. On that thought, though, it would be neat if there was a way to have the "dirty" skins when NPCs are out and about, but "clean" when they're done for the day.

Sure, in the gaming communities we see plenty of "male fan service", but how many times have we seen warriors like Conan the Barbarian running around smashing his enemies in a loin cloth?
My issue with the Conan argument is that he comes across more as a male power fantasy, while women are commonly portrayed as sex objects. Most women I know aren't fawning over Conan (but I imagine there are some).

VictoireXII

Crazed Skyrim Photographer
For those who are offended by mods that are adult content flagged, there is a setting "to allow adult flagged mods to show up." And It is turned off by default, so by turning if off, you can essentially browse the nexus without coming across any adult flagged mods, unless the mod author did not flag it as such.

But on the topic, I love both realistic and skimpy armours, but by skimpy I'm not refering to topless(either way), or a bikini and a thong, but more towards like a barbarian-ish themed outfits. Somewhat like Conan-ish outfits if you will. There are many levels of Skimpy armours, as I feel that is a very general term. Sure, the extreme ones can be really "disgusting" for most, but I just ignore those, and like I said anyway most people prefer the less extreme versions of skimpy armours. And for those, not only males use it, there are females who use it as well.

Neriad13

Premium Member
I would like to point out, with all this historical commentary, that this is not Earth. Not even close, parts of this planet are made from the bones of gods, and time itself is affected by reading scrolls that predate it. Therefore, our history, no matter how similar, has really rather little to do with it. Neriad13, I'd actually like to see a little padded armor, like the Fine Clothes doublet with a little Armor Rating. If anyone is interested in making a mod out of all this discussion. Tasteful, mind you, no clevage windows, or Daedric pasties if you don't mind.

Funnily enough, I was just having a conversation with a friend today about how weirded out I am by American fauna and flora which is included fantasy worlds that are obviously Medieval European-based. For instance, tomatoes in Skyrim, corn in Oblivion and grizzly bears in Daggerfall. "Ahhhhhhh!" I think somewhat involuntarily, "The Columbian Exchange has not taken place, how can this be?!" And yet Argonians don't irk me in the slightest. Huh. o_O

Still, I like to think that fantasy worlds are not entirely divorced from Earth. If their denizens did not go through the same struggles, encounter the same hardships or live through the same patterns of history, I don't believe that we could empathize with them as strongly.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts