18+ Shriekwind Bastion

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Madrar

The Shadow in the Dark.
A/N: Just a one-shot. Journal of a grave robber, and a series of events that occur while raiding Shriekwind Bastion. This takes place in my slightly altered Skyrim universe. As always, don't like it, don't read it. Simple. To those of you interested in reading this, I hope you enjoy. I've never written a journal-type fic, so this should be interesting. So, without further rambling on my part, here it is.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

11th of Morning Star, 4E 203

Whoever said Falkreath is warmer than the other holds in Skyrim is a damn liar. We've only been in this damn province for a week, and I'm already regretting leaving Hammerfell. At least their, it only got cold at night. And the people were nicer, too. I've lost count of the times some puffed up, self important guardsman has told me to 'keep myself outta trouble.' Please. And the locals look at us as if we're just plain bandits. It's not like my team go about the country side robbing merchants! I guess that's better than telling them we're tomb raiders. Well, procurers of rare artifacts, is what we prefer. You'd be surprised what you can find in tombs. We made a fortune in Hammerfell, before Neyers pissed off that lordling.

Skyrim has plenty of tombs though. Thing is, there's already been plenty of adventurers through most of them. So we've been asking around, me, Neyers, Grimok, Kaylee and Gareth. Neyers chatted up some barkeep, Trayvis, or something. He mentioned a place no one seems to have gotten to yet. Shriekwind bastion. The name seems creepy, but Trayvis says there's a ton of loot in there. Apparently, the vampires used it to hold their dead during the war. We'll leave for the place as soon as we've got some supplies for the trip.

12th of Morning Star, 4E 203

Well, we're finally ready to head out. I sent Grimok to the general store in town to get some gear. He came back looking spooked. Apparently the owner of the shop thinks this place, shriekwind bastion, is 'cursed.' I told him that if every tomb that was said to be cursed was actually cursed, our team would have fallen victim something long ago. That sorted him. We left in the late morning. It's still damned cold out here, but we've got plenty of firewood. We should reach the place early tomorrow, if this map is right.

13th of Morning Star, 4E 203

We're in! The door wasn't even locked. Most tombs have got some sort of trap, either magical or mundane. Kaylee's a master at disarming them. But when we got to the door this morning, she ran her detection charm, and announced it was clear. Too easy. The place is nice inside. Real nice. If a little dark. Good thing a competent raider brings as many torches as he can carry. And Kaylees candlelight charm is pretty useful. Even if it casts these weird shadows. So, the plan is, we're going to explore the first initial rooms first. Don't want to push in too far, just in case there are traps.

14th of Morning Star, 4E 203

Gareth is acting strange. Or paranoid. Said he kept seeing shapes at the edges of the fire last night. Shadowy shapes, with red eyes. I gave him a good smack in the ear for that one. What's he trying to pull? There's so much dust on the loot we have found, it's pretty clear no one and nothing has been in here in months, if not years. And the vampires are dead and gone. I don't know the game he's playing, but I'm gonna keep an eye on him, just in case he tries to get the best of the haul and bolt.

Update- maybe Gareth wasn't seeing things. We just got past the first few rooms when...I don't know, something, appeared in front of us. Tall, dark. No face, just...shadow, I guess. Warned us to 'get out or perish.' Gareth was pretty freaked out. Kaylee says its' just a fancy illusion, placed their to warn off treasure seekers like us. Gotta admit, that voice was pretty scary. These vampires sure knew their spell craft. The illusion vanished after its warning, and we haven't seen any sign of it since. I'm thinking to keep pushing on. We've got some pretty good gemstones, and Grimok managed to pry this nice looking chunk of carved ebony out of the lid of some coffin. Studded with sapphires and everything. He reckons we could easily get a few thousand for it.

15th of Morning Star, 4E 203

Not sure what kind of fascination these vamps had with ebony, but the stuff is on every coffin we've come across so far. Neyers stumbled across what I guess was a weapon cache. Not just normal weapons, either. Darksteel. The steel-ebony hybrid metal that the vampires here invented. Still sharp, too, and no signs of rust or wear on the grips. Don't know what use the dead- the really dead, have for weapons. Maybe the vampires were planning on using this place as a redoubt to strike at the allies from. Before the allies came along and wiped them out. Either way, we grabbed a couple each. Who knows how much they'll go for? And anyways, it'll be nice to have a new blade. Even if I never really used my old one.

Also...I'm not crazy. I'm NOT. And I'll beat the stuffing out of anyone who says different. But...it looks like the shadows cast by our torches are MOVING. And not in the way shadows normally move. It's like they're following us. Watching us. Probably just nerves, but I can see why Gareth was so creeped out. It makes the hairs on my neck stand up. I don't like it. Not at all, but I want to see what else we can get from this place before we head out. If everything goes to plan, we'll be filthy rich at the end of this. Might just be worth the cold.

16th of Morning Star, 4E 203

Gareth is dead. I can barely believe it. I almost didn't want to write it down. I feel like it makes it so...real. We've never lost anyone on a job before. Come close a few times. I've had a couple of near misses myself. I'm not even entirely sure what happened, exactly. The day started like normal. Kaylee said she had a headache. It was probably just the air in here. Stale, like any tomb. I was in the lead, with the first torch. Then Neyers, Kaylee, Grimok, and Gareth with the second torch. We were making our way through this wide corridor, when Gareth let out this kind of wet, strangled scream. We rushed back to him, and his throat was just...gone. Gods, it sounds strange when I repeat those words to myself.

We still don't know what got him. Neyers says it was probably a trap, but I didn't see anything in the floor, ceiling or walls. Maybe it was somehow hidden. Maybe. I've been in this business a long time, and I've never heard of any trap that can just...rip someones throat out like that. I better wrap this up. Kaylee is acting strange, and Neyers is getting nervous. A good nights sleep should sort us out. We grabbed Gareths pack, so we've got his loot and supplies. At least we won't starve.

17th of Morning Star, 4E 203

Kaylee is hearing whispers. Don't know if its a mage thing or a stress thing or what, but she's freaking everyone else out. We took a vote. Me and Grimok and Neyers voted to go on. Kaylee wasn't happy, but she'll listen to us. If she keeps going on about those damn whispers though, I might need to do something about it.

We got into a huge room, around...I guess noon. Lots of coffins set into the walls. Jackpot. I don't know if these vampires were special or what, but there was alot of gems set into the coffin lids. Most of it emerald and amethyst. I got a little something special for myself, too. An orb, made of ebony, and set with at least a dozen little rubies. Its about the size of an apple, and the way it gleams in the torchlight is just...magical, almost. Maybe it is. I'll have Kaylee take a look at it once she's back to normal.

We're definitely being followed. It's just before dinner as I write this. And that uneasy feeling I've been having for the past couple of days is only getting stronger. Maybe it's time to head back. I'll bring it up with the others in the morning.

18th of Morning Star, 4E 203

Neyers is dead. Something got her during the night. Her screaming woke me. I got a good look of her being dragged off. And of the thing that had her. Red eyes, black as shadow, vaguely man shaped. Same thing Gareth said he saw. It dragged her out of the camp and we gave chase, but she was dead by the time we got to her. Throat torn out, just like Gareth. We're leaving. Grimok didn't even argue.

They're not even trying to hide now, the bastards. Every corner we turn, there's one waiting. Tall, cloaked. Red eyes, and no face, far as I can tell. It feels like we're being herded. To where I don't know, but it was a bad idea to come here. They don't like the light though. Grimok found that out, bless him. One of the fiends came straight out of the wall, lunging for Kaylee. Grimok stuck his torch right in the things face. It kind of flinched back. Then it, or one of its friends came out of the bloody floor and tore him open groin to chin.

Me and Kaylee just ran for it. We're in a room near the exit, now I think. I can feel a cold wind. I closed the door to the room and barricaded it. Not sure how much good that's going to do. She's getting worse. I think I might have to leave her behind when I run for it.

21st of Morning Star, 4E 203

This will probably be the last entry in this journal. I'm in Rorikstead now. I got away. They started coming through the walls, from behind us. I left my pack. And Kaylee. Gods forgive me. But I got away, and I still have that orb. The thing is...I don't think I'm long for this world. I've been on the run for the past three days, but I keep seeing these shadows, and those DAMN RED EYES. Watching me. Following me. Waiting for me to tire. They want the orb back. Or maybe they just want me dead. Either way, I'm in no position to get away. I can't run for ever. Can't hide. I paid for a room in the tavern with coin from our last job. I've got that darksteel blade still. Maybe I can fight. Maybe.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Report of Whiterun hold guardsman Jorim Helmut.

22nd of Morning Star, 4E 203

We were on patrol when a local lad from Rorikstead ran up to us. Said there'd been a murder. We investigated, found the victim in a room at the Rorikstead tavern. He had an interesting blade. Darksteel, possibly. The victim had a single, large throat wound. His personal belongings were limited to the weapon, a small coin purse, and a journal. The victims writings mentioned entering Shriekwind bastion, and a man called Trayvis. It also lists the name of his comrades, tomb raiders. It also details their deaths. It is possible that some creature was after them, but it is more likely the victim attacked his comrades, and made a story up to cover his murder and make off with the dragons share of the loot. We found no sign of the ebony, ruby studded orb that he mentions. It is possible his killer took the orb. We have no eye-witnesses, and it's clear he's no local. We'll investigate the area, but chances are slim we'll catch the killer.

(A personal note is added on a separate sheet of parchment. It's also addressed to the captain of the Whiterun guard.)

Captain, this one is beyond strange. And really troubling. The journal mentioned Shriekwind bastion. You know as well as I the stories of that place. And this Trayvis. I asked both Ragnar and Troki. Both from Falkreath. They've never even heard of the guy. If he was a local, why would he tell the victim to head for the bastion? I think we should get in contact with the guards in Falkreath hold. They should definitely ask this Trayvis a few questions. It's possible he sent a few 'friends' to take care of the tomb robbers.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts