Should I just keep the Golden Claw for myself?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Reason I ask is I like to decorate my Lakeview Manor with all sorts of pieces of unique loot I find across Skyrim, I mean it's going to be the home of my wife (Aela the Huntress eventually) and my 2 adopted kids (still yet to be decided, although the kids look a lot *better* with that new Skyrim kids mod that came out). And since my character is an alcoholic who could drink Otis from The Andy Griffith Show under the table, lots of stolen Black-Briar Reserve.

So anyways, heres the deal, I can't buy the claw from Lucan once I give it to him. I'm going to collect all the claws, and the Golden one sure looks a hell of a lot better than the Coral one, I really want it in my collection.

I'm going for a non-kleptomaniac build this time, except for items that respawn and are very hard to find, like the Daedra heart in Jorrvaskr (I feel kind of bad how rotten of a thief I am to such a legendary fighters guild in their living quarters, with the ESF mod for The Companions, I've got the prerequisites to join so jacked up it's like the equivalent of a layman trying to join Seal Team 6 today.)

So my options are #1 keep it, #2, take the 400 gold and then steal it, and risk a beat down from the hired thugs. So far into this character, which may be one I play for the next several months, I've not had the hired thugs called on me it seems, the only things I've stolen to date were all the silver ingots in Whiterun for leveling up my smithing skill, oh and the Daedra heart and some alchemy ingredients like the Giants Toe and Chaurus Eggs out of Jorrvaskr.

Since I'm playing on legendary, with the multiple difficulty mods, getting caught with my pants down by the hired thugs is an actual real threat to me for quite a while until I get my endgame armor and weapons at the very minimum, Lydia right now can't hold off 3 Hired Thugs by herself, and my character at level 19 dies if he gets hit by a feather.

edit: Here's the link to the mod for children in Skyrim, I highly recommend it, its leaps and bounds better than the children that came with the game. Much more immersive when kids look like actual kids. I also included the mod for Enhanced Skyrim Factions, makes the Companions feel like a real fighters guild rather than one that'll take any milk drinker off the street that can shout really loud.

ESF Companions: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/22650/?
RS Children Overhaulhttp://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/55555

Morgan

If you keep the claw without completing the quest it stays a quest item. That means you couldn't drop it to use it for decoration. I believe if you marry Camilla you can take the claw without stealing it. You could divorce her with console commands later to marry Aela.

Of course, if you want to use console commands, you can just dupe the claw.
Code:
player.additem 39647 1

TheNatural

You can use a mod that makes items not be quest items, meaning you can place them wherever you want.

I usually keep the claw to avoid the thugs, I use a house mods called Elysium Estate, and it has a really awesome area where you can mount all of the claws you collect, as well as dragon masks, Thieves Guild rare items, Dawnguard Rare items, Miraak's stuff, and of course the vanilla rares as well. That same room has 16 Mannequins and a bunch of shield and weapon plaques for rare weapons and such. I like the house, it's not too big and crazy, like Deus Mons, or Svel Blad (sp?), it's quaint enough to be realistic, and has all of the cool functional stuff that helps on an Immersive Playthrough. I usually don't let myself use it until I had purchased the home in Solitude and all of it's amenities, it's at that point that I decide my Dragonborn "sells" the mansion, and decides to move to the countryside between riverwood and whiterun, and builds his own home.

To much info I know. Keep the claw, don't get killed by thugs.

I believe you don't need console commands to get a divorce, if you kill the person you are married to and keep both the rings you can re-marry. Look it up for more info.
Sent from my RM-892_eu_euro1_249 using Tapatalk

Gregor Moon Fang

Champion of Azura
There really isn't any reason to keep it

1) It stays a quest item until you give it back to Lucan so it'll stay in your inventory

2) BFB is the only dungeon in the game that uses it so it doesn't have much use past that

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
If you are using mods anyway, as mentioned above just console duplicate it if you want one. Other than your house decoration, it serves no purpose so it's not really like you are doing some horrible instance of cheating.

If you need RP justification for it, were your character skilled at smithing, it's hardly inconceivable that you could craft a replica. If you aren't a skilled smith, I'm sure there would be some NPC that could have made it for you either as a gift or a purchase. You could even donate gold in the value of it to someone or revers-pickpocket it onto someone.

I think I'll just get my endgame armor, murder the Hired Thugs, and steal it back.

Im not a hardcore klepto this build unlike other builds.

Camilla is good looking and flirty, but then I'll have that weird dork, Faendal around my house all the time, he's almost as bad as Aerin, and I don't want that.

Duplicates don't do it for me because to me an item loses it's luster if theres more than one. The only duplicate item I MAY pick up is Ysgramor's soup spoon, but even that I suspect is not really Ysgramor's real soup spoon because I often find it respawn after I've picked it up.

Basically when I'm done with decorating my Lakeview Manor, makes Calixto's House of Curiosities look like a complete waste of 2 septims, with all the random and neat loot I pick up along the way on my quests.

Bulldog

I almost always steal it back. And by almost I mean 100% of the time. I mean after all Lucan was being a pansy and not going to go get it, so why should he keep it. He paid me the 600 gold for teaching the thief a lesson.

Gregor. It serves no game purpose, however, for collectors and horders it serves a very special purpose. That special purpose is "to have it because I can purpose".

raido KASAI

Ansei Master Badass
1:Turn the claw in.
2: Shake his hand
3: Accept your reward and all due accolades.
4: Walk past Lucan
5: Pick up the bucket behind him
6: Place it on his head.
7: Take the claw back
8: Walk out.
To complete it, you should go back in later and steal the bucket

Bulldog

1:Turn the claw in.
2: Shake his hand
3: Accept your reward and all due accolades.
4: Walk past Lucan
5: Pick up the bucket behind him
6: Place it on his head.
7: Take the claw back
8: Walk out.

Or you could just walk behind the counter and behind him (near the wall) and steal it will in sneak. Then you don't have to mess with the bucket. Just seems easier than fooling with the bucket, though not as funny.

TheNatural

I almost always steal it back. And by almost I mean 100% of the time. I mean after all Lucan was being a pansy and not going to go get it, so why should he keep it. He paid me the 600 gold for teaching the thief a lesson.

Gregor. It serves no game purpose, however, for collectors and horders it serves a very special purpose. That special purpose is "to have it because I can purpose".

I've found that just getting Elysium Estate has turned me into a Klepto. I don't have OCD in real life, but an empty claw slot on my wall makes my eye start to twitch, and causes my character to start thinking about finding a spot for lucan's head on the wall..

Lucid

If you don't keep the Golden Claw, you will always know that your dragon claw and mask set is incomplete. When admiring your collection, it will remain in your mind that a whiny, Imperial, smalltown merchant has something that is yours by rights. Are you the kind of Dragonborn that is ok with that?

TheNatural

If you don't keep the Golden Claw, you will always know that your dragon claw and mask set is incomplete. When admiring your collection, it will remain in your mind that a whiny, Imperial, smalltown merchant has something that is yours by rights. Are you the kind of Dragonborn that is ok with that?

I would Fus-Ro-Killmyself

Lucid

I would Fus-Ro-Killmyself

Why yourself? Lucan is the one with your claw. Arvel paid his price for taking it, make Lucan forfeit his claim to it or pay the same price. Then you can make him a dead thrall and shout his corpse into the river. That's what he gets for the taking the patch that "fixed" the huge amount of gold his shop used to have :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts