Should I increase Health, Magicka, or Stamina?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Henry McDonald

{Prodigy}................
i just made a new character he is a khajiit and im planing on having my major weapon a bow and arrow and light armor im wondering what i should increase and in what order?

Well if you are going to use bow and arrow I see no point in dumping loads of it in magicka. So I would put that in 3rd. If you are going to be using the bow and arrow chances are you are not going to want to be in their faces while fighting, you should be at a safe distance. So health would come 2nd. And since shooting I believe takes up stamina, should come first. (Not saying dumb it all in Stamina) :D

Nightmare Shadow

Master of Shadow
If you plan on going stealth (the way I see people utilizing bow and arrow), then don't bother with magicka, but focus on health and stamina. I'd say select health for 2 levels then stamina on the third.

tbagalot

master forum ninja
All should be equal, unless you just focus on one battle type. Either way get a little health in here and there.

shenaniganz26

Go health and stamina at an almost even rate. My wood elf archer I dump a little extra into stamina for 2 reasons:
1. More stamina= longer zoom time with the bow
2. If you get up close and personal with a bad ass enemy high stamina allows you to create space allowing bow shots without taking hits

Allet

Article Writer
I'm actually doing the semi-opposite - investing most points into STA, and some into Magic. I'm using Alteration though for its utility - lights, shields, water-breathing, life detection, and paralysis ( I think ).

This basically gives you plenty of tools to avoid AND escape combat.

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
For brand new characters, I always raise health a few times before anything else. For archery, definitely stamina after that. Stamina also increases how much you can carry. Without any magic in play, I'd say an even 50-50 split between health and stamina after level 5. Then it's really dependent on how you choose to play. I have the time slowing and zooming for the bow and those really take down the stamina fast.

Deadhand

PLEASE DON'T EAT THOSE SOCKS!
It's been a while since I leveled my Arch, and have been leveling everything else, but I THINK bow/arrow didn't take stamina, if so not much at all. BUT; I like stamina for running. I suggest stam/health to 300, then get a feel for them both and see what you think you like more. Are you taking too much damage and almost dying? Go health. Are you killing before stuff touches you and want more "run" time than walk time? Go stamina. Don't forget, stamina also adds to carry weight. If you're finding yourself full on CW often and don't like going back and forth to your home every dungeon, possibly more stamina as well.

EDIT:

For brand new characters, I always raise health a few times before anything else. For archery, definitely stamina after that. Stamina also increases how much you can carry. Without any magic in play, I'd say an even 50-50 split between health and stamina after level 5. Then it's really dependent on how you choose to play. I have the time slowing and zooming for the bow and those really take down the stamina fast.
Ah yeah the sniper mode. Forgot about that. Extremely useful early on to make sure you're plinking those bad guys down before they get a chance to get to you; later on I don't use it as much because I can one shot most mobs without sneak, so it's just "fwip fwip; NEXT!".

Rolanthis

Astral Planewalker
I disagree with the people suggesting health. Going 50/50 health/stamina isn't the best idea imo.

For a stealth archer, you are better to invest heavily into stamina. The ratio of magicka, health, stamina that I think works well is 1:1.5:3, and if you're really worried, 1:2:3.

Playing the stealth archer correctly means less emphasis on taking damage.

Stamina is extremely valuable because:
  • Allows you to silent roll for longer to get back into the shadows mid-combat
  • Zooming with the bow utilizing the slow-time perk drains stamina fast (but is a crucial move in your repetoire)
And there are more reasons.

Basically health is there to cover your mistakes, but ideally, you are maximizing your stamina because it bolsters all the moves you will be using regularly.

Note: if you plan to melee at all, the value of health goes up.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts