• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Nameless233

So ya, should I become a vampire? Or is it just a huge pain in the butt? If I'm already a vampire, can I THEN join guilds like the mages college? ( I want to use illusion either way). And, if I do become one, should I constantly feed or go all the way to stage 4? If I am stage 4 will jarls attack me and stuff and not give me there quests? Is it curable at a shrine when u reach stage one? Thanks to anyone who answers these questions!

Golgo_SPB

well it really depends on you I guess. being a vamp benefits sneak and illusion and with the restoration necromage perk you can get pretty strong > link. you can join any guild just like normal, as long as you're not in the level 4 stage then everyone will just attack you no matter what. sometimes you can cast calm on them while you're in level 4 and talk to them normally. once you become a vampire it's only curable in two ways, ask an innkeeper about rumors and they will tell you about falion in morthal or turn into a werewolf. the disease that will eventually turn into vampirism, I forgot what it is called, can be cured like any normal disease but once you had the disease for like 3 days you will turn into a vampire.

playing as a vampire can be a tedious thing, although if you are willing to commit to the constant feeding and time management it can be a very rewarding way to play.

provided you are less than stage 4 you can still interact with people as if you weren't a vampire, but once you reach stage 4 most NPCs will turn hostile to you on sight, I would recommend feeding whenever you plan on interacting with someone, I find the best place to feed is at stables at night out the front of great cities.

and as soon as you reach stage 1 it becomes incurable by any other means besides the quest, although I forget which quest.

nordicowboy

Must be my Nord blood......
If you DO decide to....go with a Dunmer. They already have a resistance to fire, so it helps with that weakness that comes with being a vamp. Also no glitter.... twilight sucks.

Zoa Two Tails

Cloak and Dagger Artist
Ancestors wrath ftw! dunmer are pretty sweet but out of the elves i prefer bosmer to others for their hunter skills

Docta Corvina

Like others have said, there are some nice perks. The downside is the schedule you literally have to keep lest your carriage turns into a rotting pumpkin and the world wants a piece of your corpse. I unwittingly became a vampire in my very first file (on the Xbox) and I am actually stuck that way. I've tried doing the quest to get cured so many times, but it's bugged/glitched for me. So I've resigned myself to my vampirism for my Imperial character (which is now basically a retired file anyway).

What I would suggest is that you make note of the nightly schedules of the court wizards and stewards in Jarl's houses. They're usually sequestered when sleeping (often by closeable doors) and you can feed on them pretty easily without getting caught. Nor do you have to sneak to do it. I can't tell you how many times I've fed on Farengar in Dragonsreach. He's my primary blood bank. ;)

So yeah, if you do that and be really careful and mindful of time when you fast travel, you should be okay. It's the "fast traveling and then arriving at desired location a final stage hot mess" bit that can get crazy. And unfortunate, if you're unprepared.

Stone

Retired Moderator
A quick answer would be "no". When you get to Level 4 Vampirism, everyone in every town attacks you. This I find is extremely annoying as it restricts you from everything. However, if you're far through the game and don't necessarily need to buy anything or community with anyone, go ahead.

I have an account on Playstation 3, which is a level 19 Dual-Dagger Khajiit Vampire Assassin. It has Mehrunes Razor with an Ebony Dagger, and with 100 sneak, it's definitely the most dangerous combo I've came in order with. If you combine all that with the Nightingale armour, it get's even better.

Nameless233

Started the file, not a vampire yet ( as I think I might die trying to contract the disease ) but I'm level 7 and my sneak is already level 44!!!!!!

Train

Is that all you got?!
I didn't like being a vamp very much, it's always cool at first and I've always played as one in TES at some point, but I've never liked it, go figure, you'd think I'd learn to leave it alone by now. To me, it is a curse, not a benefit, but I guess not everyone sees it that way. The part I hate the most is the weakness to fire, but the constant feeding required is also a pain. True, being Dunmer helps a lot, but all you've managed to do is cancel out the weakness, not build yourself up. I also can't stand the fact that health, magicka and stamina don't increase in the daylight...I'd almost rather go back to the old way of just losing health in the sun, seemed more appropriate and easier to manage: sun = health loss, then hide and wait till night; sun = no regeneration, then you forget about that and get in trouble (or at least that's what happened to me a lot anyways ;) )

I'd like it more if there were ways to increase your vampiric powers by doing certain things and gaining skills in those areas, but for me, it doesn't provide enough of a benefit to negate the downside...so it remains a curse...to each their own though.

That being said, I'd truly miss it if vampires were removed from TES, they're a part of the world.

No, it's stupid, and the penalties outweigh the bonuses. Yay, you get a lame Absorb Health spell (less than half as powerful than Flames) bonuses to Sneak, and Illusion which are OP enough without them, and all you have to do is avoid daylight, or you can't heal, and that's before your condition progresses to the point that you are an attack on sight pariah, and have to feed to regain what's left of your humanity? Sign me up! Oh wait, that's bad!

If you like, become a werewolf, you don't get Resting bonuses, and are slightly weak against one of the rarest weapon types in the game only when in Beast Form. In return, you're immune to disease (Including Vampirism, which has an annoying habit of lowering your Health) and can turn into a melee masher, not to mention opening up 5 of the best follower/trainers in the vanilla game, the best forge, steel, lightest Heavy Armor, and a whole bunch of Radiant Quests that go on forever.

Or, you can suck.

Jzizzle

Now that's a Knife!
Maybe pump illusion to get invisibility- then if anyone comes at you, you can always disappear. Helps with feeding too.

Maybe pump illusion to get invisibility- then if anyone comes at you, you can always disappear. Helps with feeding too.
You get a shadowcloak power for being stage IV (I believe) but it's a consolation prise for being so badly nerfed. That's also the stage where you can't shew your face, except to certain factions like the DBH who are cool with it. The CoWH is the best place to feed, they don't attack on sight, and there's usually someone sleeping. It's also my go too place to charge up the Skull of Corruption.

Leseras

Darkness guides me.
It totally depends on you. If you wanted to weigh the pros and cons of being a vampire, then the answer is no. It's not like being immortal helps you and your weaknesses outweigh the strengths.

However, being a vampire, especially a normal one and not the derp lord one, is an excellent way to role play. Managing your blood lust and choosing whether to feed or not and become an outcast at the cost of power would make things interesting.

So as I said, it's up to you.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts