• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Samuel Grieve

I try to find the Shalidors writings inside an Abandoned Cave, when i go to the door inside this cave 'door is barred from the other side'.... help

MushroomGenius

Jarl of Fungi, Great Khal of the Mushraki
I think you need to find Sightless Pit. The Abandoned Cave is the exit from that map.

Researched this a bit more... now I remember. This quest is pretty tough depending on WHEN you pick it up. On my Pure Mage playthrough, I picked it up really early and it was extremely difficult because there were several Falmer Shadowmasters throughout the dungeon. When you're lower than level 10, these present huge challenges.

I'm pretty sure I just speed ran through it all.

MushroomGenius

Hmm.. everything I'm reading says that Abandoned Cave isn't accessible from Sightless Pit... just through an elevator in the Temple of Xrib or through Skyrim.

I would think that the Temple of Xrib side of Abandoned Cave has the wooden bar you need to raise so that you can exit back to Skyrim. If you entered Sightless Pit, there's no way out since you fall several stories down to get into that dungeon.
If you entered through Skyrim, there's no way in since the bar should be on the other side of the door. This prevents you from running backwards through this dungeon.

MushroomGenius

Load up an old save I guess. There was some discussion on the UESP wiki about it:

Someone should add that during the quest "Shalidor's Insights", the quest marker and Clairvoyance may lead you to "Abandoned Cave" instead of Sightless Pit. Abandoned Cave is exit-only (the door is barred from the other side) which is very confusing. — Unsigned comment by 99.73.224.32 (talk) at 20:27 on 26 November 2011

I wandered into this area without a quest active. I got to the end and the door is barred from the other side. I have no idea how to get out of this area. Can anyone help? — Unsigned comment by 98.30.130.169 (talk) at 23:43 on 14 January 2012 (UTC)

Sounds like you went in the Exit, if you turn around and go back the way you came can you get out? Kimi the Elf 23:53, 14 January 2012 (UTC)

No I return to the sightless pit and go to the top. there is a button of some sort on the ground that when activated shoots arrows at me it is just a dead end from what i can tell — Unsigned comment by 98.30.130.169 (talk) at 23:57 on 14 January 2012 (UTC)

I have been in there without the quest and the door worked fine. Is there a bar across the door you can activate? If not I would suggest loading a previous save from before you entered. Kimi the Elf 00:11, 15 January 2012 (UTC)

yes there is a bar across but it says it is baricaded on other side and for some reason i have no save points prior to going into the cave.

Sounds like you got some sorta of nasty glitch. I would suggest going through the rest of the zone so you can enter the first area and then reentering the cave after having cleared the Temple and see if that helps. I've noticed once or twice that sometimes barred doors won't unbar until the boss creature has been beaten. Happened to me in a couple different ruins both nordic and dwemer. Lord Eydvar 04:59, 15 January 2012 (UTC)

PelagiusIV

You go into Sightless Pit which leads to Temple of Xrib, which leads to the abandoned cave to exit. It is very hard when your a lower level. I went in at level 21 I believe, playing on Expert. My character was mainly focused in Conjuration, followed by Destruction and Restoration, and I had a little bit in One-Handed and Heavy Armor. I was battling a Blood Dragon, and after I died 4 times I decided to just run from it, decided to go into the pit, not knowing the only way out was through the cave. I spent an hour and a half trying to get past all the Falmor, until finally I decided I'd rather go back and take my chances with the Blood Dragon lol So I've still yet to get all the way threw the Sightless Pit.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts