• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

CaptMorgan72

So Serana cured herself of vampirism but her eyes are still yellow but her pupils are now green. Hmm ok, then I find out she talks as if she is still a vampire, complaining about the sun and what not. Then we get in a fight against some baddies and she uses vampiric drain, WTF! Is she cured or not?

Storm777

So Serana cured herself of vampirism but her eyes are still yellow but her pupils are now green. Hmm ok, then I find out she talks as if she is still a vampire, complaining about the sun and what not. Then we get in a fight against some baddies and she uses vampiric drain, WTF! Is she cured or not?

I really feel like Bethesda was a bit too apathetic here. I cured Serana in my play through and when I heal her she has no dialog. Everyone I heal says something.

Another irritating thing with Serana is she turns you down as a Vampire(marriage wise), but not as a human. It should be both ways honestly. No dialog for marriage(being human) as well as healing and who knows what else.

Serana, as a character is half cooked. She is the best follower IMO, but it's like Bethesda didn't think people would want to cure her or something. She does use Vampiric Drain with me as well, complains about the sun and her skin.

Bethesda needs some people working for them that are OCD with the finite details. At least a "bug" can be fixed or was at least accidental, this was just laziness and poor quality control.

Bethesda seems to only go 90% with a lot of things unfortunately.

To answer your question, apparently Bethesda thinks so, the game plays otherwise.

CaptMorgan72

I guess its up to the player to explain different things with role playing. Just so I won't be irritated by this, I suppose I can reason that Serana was only half cured. Due to her being a daughter of coldharbour she can never be fully cured of vampirisim since she was turned by Molag Bal himself. So she is half human and half vampire, which is why she still has some vampire powers and still is effected somewhat by the sun.

Storm777

I guess its up to the player to explain different things with role playing. Just so I won't be irritated by this, I suppose I can reason that Serana was only half cured. Due to her being a daughter of coldharbour she can never be fully cured of vampirisim since she was turned by Molag Bal himself. So she is half human and half vampire, which is why she still has some vampire powers and still is effected somewhat by the sun.

I have been searching and apparently her eyes were coded wrong and weren't supposed to be the yellow you see. I guess the next patch might fix it.

JClarke1953

Bethesda? Send out a patch? Sounds more like Windows XP Pro with the hundreds of patches and fixes that I got over the year's, even on my pirated copy (used it for 4-year's before buying it).

This game is great, and when I'm done with what I have to do, I settle in my chair to play. I, as so many other's are VERY disappointed in Bethesda sending out an incomplete game that is buggy and glitchy as all get out. Even starting over on a new char recently, there are major differences is what the quest's do, or how they "end".

I wonder, do they REALLY expect those of us out here to buy an update or a continuance of this epic story when they did such a lousy job on this copy to begin with? And not putting out fixes or patches? Someone said in another forum they're working on other stuff. Sounds to me like we've been set aside, and that as with many other companies, trying to get less people to do more. Which will of course end in disaster for us with more bug's and glitches.

CaptMorgan72

JClarke, your post is a bit confusing. "I wonder, do they REALLY expect those of us out here to buy an update or a continuance of this epic story when they did such a lousy job on this copy to begin with? " So you call the story epic and then in the same sentence you say they did a lousy job? I'm confused. What platform are you playing this game on? On my Xbox 360 I experience some lock ups occasionally but other than that my game runs smoothly. I would highly recommend buying Dawnguard if you haven't already. It is a fantastic addition to a already great game.

Storm777

Bethesda? Send out a patch? Sounds more like Windows XP Pro with the hundreds of patches and fixes that I got over the year's, even on my pirated copy (used it for 4-year's before buying it).

This game is great, and when I'm done with what I have to do, I settle in my chair to play. I, as so many other's are VERY disappointed in Bethesda sending out an incomplete game that is buggy and glitchy as all get out. Even starting over on a new char recently, there are major differences is what the quest's do, or how they "end".

I wonder, do they REALLY expect those of us out here to buy an update or a continuance of this epic story when they did such a lousy job on this copy to begin with? And not putting out fixes or patches? Someone said in another forum they're working on other stuff. Sounds to me like we've been set aside, and that as with many other companies, trying to get less people to do more. Which will of course end in disaster for us with more bug's and glitches.

As a company owner myself I see these things as far more unacceptable than many do. Overall Skyrim is such a great game that people are very well looking past the chronic problems. I will fully admit, I have been too. My game crashes all the time, and I play on a new 360 with the 250 GB. I still go back and play and simply expect it to crash and now I just shrug my shoulders and re-load. Usually when this happens I quit playing. It's almost like the game tells me to take a break.

Now, since we are on the topic of Serana, I'll keep going with her. I absolutely do not understand where any company can be so thoughtless as to think people would not want to marry this character. To have dialog of turning you down as a Vampire and not as a human befuddles me. Bethesda went far enough to allow you to encourage Serana to cure herself. If you chose the wrong prompts she will not, so they were made strategically. This shows a lot of thought went into this. When you cure her you would expect her to be a marriage compatible partner, but even if she isn't, why on Earth wouldn't you as a company make sure to give her the correct dialog to turn you down as a human? How do you go this far and miss this? Then, according to someone who can read code her eyes were colored wrong. Do you not see the character you built? It's not like they got the color of her Dagger sheath wrong! Again, how do you miss this? Serana is the cornerstone piece of the Dawnguard DLC. It's not like she's just a non essential character residing at the DawnGuard Castle or the Volkihar Castle. Which leads me to their following DLC.

My Hearthfire is a mess. My mannequins are completely faulty and most will not accept a helm. I have one that regenerates the first armor I put on it and puts the current armor in the inventory. I literally can take the armor off, put different armor on and come back in and the armor I took off (that's now in my inventory) is back on the mannequin. In my basement, I no longer have the option of building shrines. In the first story I built safes, and they never appeared. A lot of things I put in displays are out when I enter either being on top of the glass display or on the floor. I notice this with two or three of them consistently. My chickens get killed and I can't buy more. Now I have the option of building things outside that I have already built. I tried rebuilding them just to see and nothing happens other than wasting materials. I have had a weapon literally disappear off the rack and has not returned.

I don't know. Why is this stuff so half baked?

I love this game, I think it will go down as one of the greatest but Bethesda really needs to simply put more effort into quality control. This is clearly their weakness from my perspective. I think I read somewhere this game sold 10 million copies world wide. If each game was around 20 dollars at wholesale, that's two hundred million dollars. I'm not sure what the game actually cost to make, but you cannot convince me that with those hundreds of millions of dollars that this company couldn't afford a team of people who's job is simply QC. Hell, most people would do it for free for an advanced copy!

Oh well. Hopefully a patch will come out to fix my haunted house and at least finish off Serana properly as a un-marriageable NPC, and for the love of GOD fix those Jaundice eyes! I would rather them smoldering red again.

CaptMorgan72

Well if they fix those jaundice eyes then they have to take away her vampiric powers and remove her vampire dialog too. Doesn't really make sense that she is talking exactly as she did as a vampire. I was totally expecting to hear her talk about the warmth of the sun and and beauty of the daylight or something to that effect. I also want to remove her royal vampire armor and fit her with other armor, why didn't they allow us to do that? It is strange that Bethesda would get lazy with the most important character in Dawnguard. Again, I guess its up to us to role play away these things.

JClarke1953

Well, I don't know how many people bought this game, but I'm sure there are legion! I kind of wonder if an open then signed letter to them might help. From what I understand, Skyrim isn't the only project they are working on.

What I want to know is why they put out a game that really isn't complete, full of bug's and glitches, yet they are working on other thing's (whatever they may be). Do they really expect those of us who have Skyrim to buy more of their work when they so terribly missed the boat on Skyrim? Why did they put out a game that so many of us see and know wasn't really ready for distribution? Is this going to be their SOP from now on with the rest of what they put out?

I'm sure Bethesda did well $$$ wise as far as its selling. But if this is a sample, notwithstanding the problems that those with PS3 and computer's have, are we to expect this kind of mediocrity from them from now on? Look at a lot of other console/PC game's. The maker's do their level best to make sure thing's are right, for XBox 360, PS3 and PC's. Why can't, or won't they do the same? What prevents them from making sure their product is RIGHT like many other game maker's do? Or at the very least, put out fixes or patches within reasonable amounts of time!

I played WoW for a few year's, and they were always updating, putting in fixes or patches that had been missed or overlooked. Or, is Bethesda that small an organization that they cannot, or think they cannot, validate the manpower to get Skyrim RIGHT for not only XBox (which obviously still has a multitude of problems), but for PS3 and PC player's? How can we, or can we wake them up to a very probable boycott on future games they put out if what we have now is what we're to expect, and settle for?

I know I will not buy another game that comes from their business until, or unless they get this one right, or at least, make GOOD attempts to do right by us customer's!

Storm777

Well if they fix those jaundice eyes then they have to take away her vampiric powers and remove her vampire dialog too. Doesn't really make sense that she is talking exactly as she did as a vampire. I was totally expecting to hear her talk about the warmth of the sun and and beauty of the daylight or something to that effect. I also want to remove her royal vampire armor and fit her with other armor, why didn't they allow us to do that? It is strange that Bethesda would get lazy with the most important character in Dawnguard. Again, I guess its up to us to role play away these things.

The best thing Bethesda could have done is simply given up on the idea of Serana wanting to seek a cure and here's why. From a story perspective, her mom is still a vampire. Her relationship with her mom is still salvageable. I was really shocked when she leaves your service that she goes back to Dawnguard especially if you go back to the Soul Carin and tell her mom that Harkon is dead. She returns to Castle Volkihar and yet, Serana goes back to the Dawnguard? Is this laziness once again?

If it's not, Serana simply isn't interested in a relationship with her mom. The reason, from a story perspective of why she would wish to seek a cure is YOU. She chooses becoming human to hang out with Isran and the Dawnguard? Yeah right. maybe she just doesn't want to be a vampire anymore? Nope, she says she never thought about it until YOU brought it up.

So you're right. What do you do now? She's human, yet her eyes, her dialog and her spells tell a different story. If Bethesda want's to fix this clusterf@ck, they need to re-hire the voice actress to do a lot of dialog as a human.

I was expecting dialog that revolved around the beating of her heart, not being thirsty anymore, food tasting as she remembered, loving the warmth of the sun, complaining during the night vs during the day etc.

Her outfit doesn't bother me after she's cured, just everything else. She's a killer character that Bethesda simply fell short on.

Storm777

Jclarke1953,

From what I understand, the reason there are so many bugs is Bethesda makes their own engines. Graphics, collision etc. They don't buy pre-existing engines that are bug free, but ultimately not as good as the ones they are creating. I don't have an issue with this. I have an issue with not playing the game themselves and catching the majority of these bugs before it hits the market. I still have books in my inventory I can't get rid of after I completed the quest that needed them!

The whole issue with Serana wasn't a bug thing, it was just not caring about the product you're putting out which is far worse.

JClarke1953

JClarke, your post is a bit confusing. "I wonder, do they REALLY expect those of us out here to buy an update or a continuance of this epic story when they did such a lousy job on this copy to begin with? " So you call the story epic and then in the same sentence you say they did a lousy job? I'm confused. What platform are you playing this game on? On my Xbox 360 I experience some lock ups occasionally but other than that my game runs smoothly. I would highly recommend buying Dawnguard if you haven't already. It is a fantastic addition to a already great game.

Oh, I bought Dawnguard and Hearthfire when they came out. Even pretty much finished the game short of the dozen "broken" quest's in my miscellaneous section. I call it "epic" because of the breadth of the story, the twists and turns, the unexpected. Thing is, they, Bethesda left too much undone. As my char wandered in and out of throne room's in the province's, did "bedlam" work for the Guild, found many things relegated to the "story", but only that. There was nowhere else to go with anything.

Such as finding incriminating evidence of Maven continuing to supply the Imperial's. Her "master" locked room with evidence of praying to the Night Mother. Several cities had wive's/husband's being spied upon for possible infidelities. Mavens involvement with the Guild. The repeated jpb's from the Guild AND Night Mother. Bethesda left so much undone to with what could, and should have been an excellent story for all, no matter which faction's they go with, Thieves Guild or Dark Brotherhood or not, there is much not in plain view that would add a LOT of depth.

Especially in Serana's case. The situation of her family, her understanding, realizing her father has to die. There's so much more Bethesda could have done to make an epic game very unforgettable. As well as offering us, their customer's a better game not so full of problem's for anyone who is playing it. I just feel they did a rush job and shoved it into the market, not caring or worrying about what they left undone.

Storm777

The only thing that I feel I need to say in Bethesda's defense is that this game ended up being 3 times the size they originally figured. It really is an enormous game, and at some point we have to realize it's over past whatever DLC's continue to come out. I agree that they could have done more with some of the quest lines, but it does have to end somewhere eventually although it would be nice if there were no loose strings left over.

Clarke, you said something that really rings true. Bethesda made something really special here, but it might just fall short of unforgettable.

No doubt in my mind Bethesda needs to make a small quest with Serana and freeing her from Molag Bal. Literally going into Oblivion and back. I think the older gamers get, the more game makers should realize that romance in a RPG has a nice finishing touch.

JClarke1953

I don't see that is has to, or should end. Nothing wrong with a long storyline! I mean I love the LOTR Blue Ray extended version, and there's no real reason for Bethesda to end it, unless of course they, well, they do. It'll be like many great TV show's that were taken off air, leaving everyone who enjoyed the show's up in the air.

And as an example, look what Blizzard has done with WoW! Look how long they've maintained it and kept it going (only reason I quit was the $15.00 a month that needs to stay in house). And they're literally world-wide! So, I think if Bethesda really, really want to keep their fan base and customer's, well, I sure wouldn't end Skyrim! It has the makings of something really outa site!

Storm777

I don't see that is has to, or should end. Nothing wrong with a long storyline! I mean I love the LOTR Blue Ray extended version, and there's no real reason for Bethesda to end it, unless of course they, well, they do. It'll be like many great TV show's that were taken off air, leaving everyone who enjoyed the show's up in the air.

And as an example, look what Blizzard has done with WoW! Look how long they've maintained it and kept it going (only reason I quit was the $15.00 a month that needs to stay in house). And they're literally world-wide! So, I think if Bethesda really, really want to keep their fan base and customer's, well, I sure wouldn't end Skyrim! It has the makings of something really outa site!

What's the saying, why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free?

Sadly, and I have no info on this, but my guess is Bethesda will put a hold on their ES RPG's for quite a while especially as their attention will draw to the Elder Scrolls Online game. Similar as to what Blizzard did with their Warcraft games that were seemingly put on an indefinite hold, it would only hurt them, or their bottom line to keep a game like Skyrim continuing when people will pay a monthly fee similar to WoW.

I hope they can juggle doing both, but I wouldn't count on it nor expect it.

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !

>> Yes, you are right ! I cured her from vampirism but her eyes are yellow and pupils are green. I think that Bethesda DO NOT HAVE a quality assurance team at all. Skyrim is in my opinion the best game out there but there are too many logical errors and unacceptable mistakes. Here is a short list :
1 - TOO MANY HOUSES. If you became a Thane on each hold, then you are ending up with 6 houses ( including the one in the island of Solsteim ) plus the Arch-Mage quarters in the College of Winterhold. On the top of that, they give us another 3 houses through Hearthfire. Why ? It would have been better to only get ONE MORE HOUSE but instead a house, a PALACE with several layouts to customize it much better way than it was planned. In Hearthfire you have 3 options per wing and I find the Library, the Storage room and the Greenhouse, absolutely unnecessary additions. Why a library when you have on each house not one but several bookshelves, capable to store each one of them, around 60 books ? Beside, who cares about storing books ? You only care about the spell books and they are destroyed in the process. Why a Storage room when you have not one but several chest, safes, barrels and dressers where you can keep your stuff ? Why a Greenhouse when you have a garden outside ? Also, why you are keeping your Divines Shrine in the Cellar ? That shrine should be in the back room of the main hall or a special place where the dragonborn sit down to meditate ? Why is the Cellar is made out of stone, you should get the freaking skeevers in there ? Why not having the Enchanter and the Alchemy tables in one room together as you have them in the house in Windhelm ? This room should have access to your smithing room ( forge, smelter, grindstone and working table ) because they are all related to build and / or improve weapons and armors. Why in the first place you had to pay more than 30 thousand pieces of gold to buy the house in Solitude and you are lacking a smithing area ? Ridiculous ! I would be more than happy with only that house but with a smithing area added to it.
2 - HOTTEST WOMEN UNABLE TO MARRY TO. Lydia and Serana are the hottest women and followers but you can not marry them. Even if you cure Serana, she is not fully human and the marriage conversation with her is not possible. As a follower, if for any reason you say to her "it is time to part ways", you will not be able to make her follow you again. She does continue using her vampire spells and complaining about the sunlight when outside. If you are not a werewolf and she hit you by mistake while in combat, you will get vampirism. Ridiculous ! It does look like Bethesda want you to become a vampire not matter what.
3 - WEREWOLF or VAMPIRE ? Personally I did not want to turn myself into a vampire, but I find unnecessary for the dragonborn ( if you do not want to become a vampire ) to turn into a beast to fight off vampires. Beside, if you fight as a beast ( werewolf ), you are very weak against vampires and especially if they are surrounded by other vampires or mages. You will die soon, so you are much better off to fight as a human using your dragonborn powers to kill vampires. On the other side, why if you are practically a heroe, you want to turn yourself into a bad person by becoming a vampire ? By doing so, you are an enemy of the people and they will kill you on sight. I find Dawnguard, a better good addition to the whole game, but by taking away the Werewolf tree if you want not to turn yourself into a beast. Now, here is the problem, if you DO NOT turn yourself into a beast ( werewolf ), you will get vampirism when being hit by vampire spells. This is absolutely ridiculous. The game should give you the option ( a shout or spell cloak ) that allow you to be immune to vampire spells. By the way, you are a half dragon and half human, so getting infected by vampirism should not even be a possibility for you since you are practically a half animal already, a dragon. After you kill Harkon, you should become the second in command at Ford Dawnguard and be able to make anybody to follow you, even Serana. When I say they should follow you if they are asked for, they should obey you completely as one of your housecarls does. Also, you should get your own quarters in that Fort as a second in command and live there if you want to.
4 - DRAGONBORN. A nice addition as well but the fight against Miraak is ridiculous. Both are dragonborn but if you use you best weapon, spells or shouts on him, he will use Become Ethereal for hours and you will not be able to cause him any damage. In order to kill him, you must use your fist and hit him till Mora finish him completely. This fight is ridiculous. The Become Ethereal shout could be used but not that long but for the time allowed which I think it is 60 seconds at the most and you must wait for your magicka to regenerate before you are able to shout it again. That would have been better rather than see Miraak as a coward protecting himself for long time, which makes this fight, one of the most ridiculous of the whole game. That is why, Mora give you the Dragon Aspect shout so you were able to overpower Miraak and kill him in combat, but if you use it, then he becomes Ethereal and you know the rest of the story.
5 - THANE, LEGATUS AND HEROE but NOT ENOUGH. If you sided with the Imperials, General Tullius make you a Legatus after the imperials win the battle. So, you are a Thane, a Legatus ( practically a general ) and a heroe in Skyrim, so why guards should bribe you ? On the contrary, if they try to bribe you, you should be able to arrest them, report them or to put them in jail. Being a Thane does not means that you are outside the law, but if you are a Legatus, you are a general and nobody but another general can make you pay for your mistakes. In Solitude, you should be able to have guards watching your home so your wife is not kidnapped when playing Hearthfire.
6 - THIEVES GUILD. You finish the main quests and still you are receiving orders from Vex and others. How so ? Are you not now the boss, the one who restored the organization and saved it from failing ? Ridiculous. As soon as you finish the Thieves main questline, you should become a Thane automatically. This lady, the Thane, the Briar whatever is her name, is one of the most nasty in the game and I would like to kill her. You have to kiss her butt to make you a Thane in that hold and after she tells you "I should be fool not to have you on my side so I am granting you the tittle of Thane". As you were able to kill Ulfrich, then you should be able to kill any Jarl but they are invincible.
7 - ADOPTION. Why should you adopt a child or two to have a family ? Is the Dragonborn unable to produce children or the wife unable to conceive ? You should be able to pregnant your wife and have your own child. Another ridiculous thought in the game.
8 - EBONY WARRIOR. A tough warrior ... but I killed him in one single strike and cut his head off. What's his story anyway ? Where did he come from ? He was there all the time but you never met him. He is not related to any quest in particular, other than he challenge you because now, you are tough enough to fight him. He should be able to have some story, which end up in a fight against you not just by challenging you because now you are worthy to him. It does not makes sense.

In Skyrim, Alduin, Miraak, Harkon and the Ebony warrior, were very easy to defeat in compare to the mages, vampires and some bandits whose put up a better challenge for you in the game. You are able to marry the ugliest women and you are a landlord instead a heroe with a Palace. You are a Thane and Legatus, but still being annoyed by corrupted guards that should be put in jail. You are an Arch-Mage, boss of the Companions, Thieves Guild chief, second in command at Ford Dawnguard, dragons fear you after defeating Alduin and Miraak, the Greybeards respect you, Paarthumax respect you and help you to become who you are but not enough.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts