• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

bosspatrone

I'm pretty sure I've done a good job trying to solve this problem myself, but if this problem has been addressed elsewhere, I apologize.

I have been trying to optimize Skyrim, because I have been getting subpar framerates on my Eyefinity setup. I have noticed that Skyrim launcher always sets the ini value for sD3DDevice as "NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GS". Problem is I have an "ATI Radeon HD 5700 Series". I have been unable to fix this value, so now I am wondering what, if any impact, this is having on my Skyrim play?

Are any other ATI owners having this problem? If not, what is the value of your sD3DDevice?

Thanks.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Did you used to own an 8800 GS?

Anyway give this a try:

Start by opening the Nvidia control panel / settings. Once open, you should see a list of different settings to the left. Under "3D Settings", click "Manage 3D settings". Then there are two tabs, Global and Program settings.

Go to the "program settings" tab, clicked "Add" and then browse to your Steam folder, then steamapps\common\skyrim and select "SkyrimLauncher.exe". On step 2, select "High-performance NVIDIA processor" and click apply. Repeat this for "tesv.exe" as well, since that's the game.

This would also work for any other game you might have problems with detecting your "real" graphics card.

If you don't want to change settings for every game that does like Skyrim, you could instead go to "Global settings" and set the "Preferred graphics processor" to "High-performance NVIDIA processor", and it will automatically use that one for all programs that use 3D graphics.

bosspatrone

Thanks for the quick reply, Finalchrono. You may have just compelled me to go play Chrono Trigger until all of this Skyrim graphics trouble gets sorted out.

I don't have Nvidia Control Panel on my machine because my card is ATI. I have never actually had any hardware from Nvidia on this machine, which is why I find it really odd that Skyrim's launcher settings defaults me to an Nvidia profile.

I was wondering if this somehow affects performance in some way and also if other ATI users where having this issue.

Maybe Skyrim is just trying to tell me that it wants me to go an Nvidia graphics card instead, lol.

Finalchrono

Time Bandit
Oh sorry, you should have a similar setup in catalyst though and be able to do the same thing. The vigilink highlights had me thinking you had an Nvidia even though I read you had an ATI lol.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts