• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Ariadne33

Sorry if this has already been asked elsewhere but where can you store items safely? I've been using the chest at Breezehome but now that I have Hearthfire, I'm building a house and want to move my stuff there. I have Heljarchen Hall so far. Is the chest outside safe? What about display cases, mannequins, barrels, sacks, lockboxes, etc.? It would be pretty stupid if those WEREN'T safe but then, everyone knows how buggy Skyrim is. Does anyone know for sure?

Ritterkreuz

I haven't had any issues with any of those storage places, they've all been safe for me.

Lethennon

Every storage item associated with the home including the outdoor chest is considered "safe" for your items.

I personally haven't had anything disappear from Hejarchen hall. So I can vouch for the above statements truth.

Iveri Sarothil

Unless you've got a custom home and you delete/update said custom home without moving your stuff out of it first, chests and whatnot are perfectly safe. I've never experienced any sort of bug storing items. NPCs CAN steal your stuff, but only if you put it in boxes/bags/chests outside of your home. But the chest outside near your custom home is perfectly safe. I assume it's got some immunity given that it holds all your building materials, but there shouldn't be anyone around to steal, anyway. The thievery mostly applies to cities.

Saozig

Hippy
There are a few bugs with the Hearthfire houses, but the chests, safes, endtables, strongboxes, stachels, and wardrobes are all safe storage for certain and I have not heard of any bugs with things disappearing in them. The outside chest is definitely safe.

I did recently encounter a bug where I had my character go into Lakeview Manor, change into her house clothes but kept her armor on her, as i normally do, saved the game and when I reloaded, her bracers, boots, shield and helmet were all missing. It took a few days before I found them--in the safe in the back room of the Main Hall that I use to store valuable amulets. I have no idea why my game put them there but at least the game hadn't completely lost them!

Things that come with the furniture, like alchemy ingredients and food DO respawn in the house (or they are suppose to--they don't always in mine). The apiary, chicken nest and the hawk's nest (on the roof) are suppose to respawn, but I don't think they ever have for my games.

There is a few problems with the display cases. One is people have said that when they re-enter the house, whatever they put in the display case is on the floor. Another more concerning issue reported is people putting things into the display case, it dropping through the case and then through the floor as well, making it irretrievable. Be aware of that one.

There has been reports of things going missing from the weapons racks, namely the metal ones in the entrance hall. What I suspect this is, is weapons fall off the rack and through the floor, making them irretrievable--a known glitch with these types of weapon racks. I have not heard of any issues with the wooden plaque racks in the Main hall. I've never had a weapon go missing from a Hearthfire rack, but I do avoid putting unique items on the entrance hall racks, personally.

Bookshelves in Hearthfire houses appear to be safe, but I do recall one person saying when he/she re-entered their house, all the books in teh library wing had fallen off their shelves and were on the floor. I have yet to encounter this issue myself.

The mannequins appear safe, but prone to the usual Skyrim mannequin glitches, like moving off their pedestals and duplicating armor. My battlemage's upstairs mannequin dupes ebony armor and boots--whatever else she puts on there stays there but the mannequin de-equips them when it dupes a new set of ebony armor and boots. When you activate the mannequin, everything will still be in its inventory. There's a couple things one can try to unglitch this glitch but I've never bothered. As long as things aren't disappearing for good, I'm OK.

Lethennon

I have had that display case issue.

IT seems that when an area loads the player placed items specifically gems and apparel items all "drop" into the zone. So if you put them in a case, the end up on top of it and on the floor.

Skulli

Is that fur coming out of your ears?
Unless you've got a custom home and you delete/update said custom home without moving your stuff out of it first, chests and whatnot are perfectly safe. I've never experienced any sort of bug storing items. NPCs CAN steal your stuff, but only if you put it in boxes/bags/chests outside of your home. But the chest outside near your custom home is perfectly safe. I assume it's got some immunity given that it holds all your building materials, but there shouldn't be anyone around to steal, anyway. The thievery mostly applies to cities.

I can't even read this.

Iveri Sarothil

Sorry. Fixed.

Ariadne33

Thanks everyone. I'm giving it a try! The only thing I don't like so far is a giant killed a cow and my chickens and there doesn't seem to be a way to get more! I just hope they don't kill my wife or steward!

JoannaStrider

Sorry if this has already been asked elsewhere but where can you store items safely? I've been using the chest at Breezehome but now that I have Hearthfire, I'm building a house and want to move my stuff there. I have Heljarchen Hall so far. Is the chest outside safe? What about display cases, mannequins, barrels, sacks, lockboxes, etc.? It would be pretty stupid if those WEREN'T safe but then, everyone knows how buggy Skyrim is. Does anyone know for sure?
I literally just restarted my game from a level 37 because I put morokei on the mannequin in the enchanters tower of heljarchen hall and it disappeared. My plan is to keep everything important on my person from now on I have been reading and it turns out that hearth fire is very buggy and the weapon racks and mannequins are not safe

JoannaStrider

There are a few bugs with the Hearthfire houses, but the chests, safes, endtables, strongboxes, stachels, and wardrobes are all safe storage for certain and I have not heard of any bugs with things disappearing in them. The outside chest is definitely safe.

I did recently encounter a bug where I had my character go into Lakeview Manor, change into her house clothes but kept her armor on her, as i normally do, saved the game and when I reloaded, her bracers, boots, shield and helmet were all missing. It took a few days before I found them--in the safe in the back room of the Main Hall that I use to store valuable amulets. I have no idea why my game put them there but at least the game hadn't completely lost them!

Things that come with the furniture, like alchemy ingredients and food DO respawn in the house (or they are suppose to--they don't always in mine). The apiary, chicken nest and the hawk's nest (on the roof) are suppose to respawn, but I don't think they ever have for my games.

There is a few problems with the display cases. One is people have said that when they re-enter the house, whatever they put in the display case is on the floor. Another more concerning issue reported is people putting things into the display case, it dropping through the case and then through the floor as well, making it irretrievable. Be aware of that one.

There has been reports of things going missing from the weapons racks, namely the metal ones in the entrance hall. What I suspect this is, is weapons fall off the rack and through the floor, making them irretrievable--a known glitch with these types of weapon racks. I have not heard of any issues with the wooden plaque racks in the Main hall. I've never had a weapon go missing from a Hearthfire rack, but I do avoid putting unique items on the entrance hall racks, personally.

Bookshelves in Hearthfire houses appear to be safe, but I do recall one person saying when he/she re-entered their house, all the books in teh library wing had fallen off their shelves and were on the floor. I have yet to encounter this issue myself.

The mannequins appear safe, but prone to the usual Skyrim mannequin glitches, like moving off their pedestals and duplicating armor. My battlemage's upstairs mannequin dupes ebony armor and boots--whatever else she puts on there stays there but the mannequin de-equips them when it dupes a new set of ebony armor and boots. When you activate the mannequin, everything will still be in its inventory. There's a couple things one can try to unglitch this glitch but I've never bothered. As long as things aren't disappearing for good, I'm OK.
I stored morokei on the mannequin in the enchanters tower in heljarchen and it disappeared.

Papoy

DON'T EXPECT SPOILER WARNINGS FROM ME
I stored morokei on the mannequin in the enchanters tower in heljarchen and it disappeared.
Stuff hanged on mannequins and weapon stalls can disappear,i cant remember why though. chests are safest.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts